Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

need a kind GPS GUY!!

I know some of you guy's that give GPS advice to guy's like me are getting pretty wherry of giving us tips and other helpful stuff on the subject, but I am real close to making the plunge, I am going to go with Hummingbird I have been a Eagle or Lowrance guy in the past but I'm going with Hummingbird this time.

Ok I read about things like (Navionics) (one card or two cards) ( Hotmaps) ( preloaded) and the built in Unimap ?? I read about them but find it hard to know what to do, I know I could spend the money and get it all, but I would like to know what some of you use to help me out .

Thanks in advance

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need a kind GPS GUY!!

If you get the Humminbird GPS capable unit and receiver all you need from there is the chip, whether it be Navionics or Hotspots map. I would get the newly updated 2009 model. You will need a chip for each unit...if you have multiple GPS units on your boat. For instance, many guys have one up front and in the console. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the BBC website for electronics, one of the guys there also has a yahoo forum that he uses to discuss and teach the Humminbird. Also, if it is a side imaging unit bfhp (bass fishing homepage) has an area dedicated to electronics and a gentleman(LTBAMA) posts pics all of the time with explanations on what the indications are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floatman View Post
    I know some of you guy's that give GPS advice to guy's like me are getting pretty wherry of giving us tips and other helpful stuff on the subject, but I am real close to making the plunge, I am going to go with Hummingbird I have been a Eagle or Lowrance guy in the past but I'm going with Hummingbird this time.

Ok I read about things like (Navionics) (one card or two cards) ( Hotmaps) ( preloaded) and the built in Unimap ?? I read about them but find it hard to know what to do, I know I could spend the money and get it all, but I would like to know what some of you use to help me out .

Thanks in advance

Gary
    I would really ask the question " Are the pre-loaded maps worth the extra?" I personally don't think so in fact I think Col. Forbin has made this same comment on a much older post and I should have listened to him at that time!! I personally believe I gave up better sonar and navigational mapping to achieve Side imaging (which I really do like) JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance 28c and it is pre load with maps that are O.K.
    I just purchased the Navionics Hotmaps 2009 and man what a difference.
    If I had to do it again I would go with the non-pre loaded depth finder and add the chip.

Stanley_P

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely get the Navionics card if going with the Humminbird (or probably any gps unit). Which year depends on which lakes you are interested in. I have an older card that was much cheaper because the newly added lakes in High Definition (1 ft contours) do not interest me at all. No reason to spend money for something that you know you are not going to use. You can find a listing of lakes included on the card, by state, on www.navionics.com.

I would also get a unit with an internal antenna. My buddy has an external and it ***** that we can not put his unit in the front of my boat without me buying a $100 antenna and installing it in my boat while we are fishing. If you check the compatibility and have two hummingbird units in your boat (front/console) you can also use the units interchangeably.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought a 788ci Hummingbird also got hotmaps chip It' very user friendly I'm very happy with it