Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New Moon...Full Moon...SM????

OK, new to NIGHT FISHING FOR SM....., So what's this with the moon phase? Is the fishing better depending upon the phase of the moon? Also, any time of the night/early am better than others to be out on the lake chasing the brown fish?

Thanks from a NEWBE.

Boone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Moon...Full Moon...SM????

From my experience in chasing Brownfish, New Moon bigger fish Full Moon more fish. New moon fish darker baits closer to the deeper grass beds if any available, Full Moon little lighter baits Green Olive and such near rocky areas for the Crawfish smolt and spawn that takes place on the fulll moon. Full moon crayfish have softer shells and all fish know this and love to gorge on them at this time. Either moon I still fish the "Dark" side of the point or bank first. Just me but I think the crayfish can hide in the deeper grass beds better than the rocks and they migrate there when not in the process of the spawn. I ALWAYS consider the moon phase in the summer time when fishing to give me a starting point and then as usualy adjust on the water. All that being said just like fish staying in certain areas all the time there are Crayfish on the rocky points all of the time and you can point hop with a basic black and blue jig and trailer and catch fish pretty much all thru the summer with only having to vary the depth and presentation from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    From my experience in chasing Brownfish, New Moon bigger fish Full Moon more fish. New moon fish darker baits closer to the deeper grass beds if any available, Full Moon little lighter baits Green Olive and such near rocky areas for the Crawfish smolt and spawn that takes place on the fulll moon. Full moon crayfish have softer shells and all fish know this and love to gorge on them at this time. Either moon I still fish the "Dark" side of the point or bank first. Just me but I think the crayfish can hide in the deeper grass beds better than the rocks and they migrate there when not in the process of the spawn. I ALWAYS consider the moon phase in the summer time when fishing to give me a starting point and then as usualy adjust on the water. All that being said just like fish staying in certain areas all the time there are Crayfish on the rocky points all of the time and you can point hop with a basic black and blue jig and trailer and catch fish pretty much all thru the summer with only having to vary the depth and presentation from time to time.
    Thanks Elwood, good to see you are feeling good enough to post the board. Thinking of giving those Brown Fish a try Sunday night. Will be tossing jigs with a trailer. Thinking Indian Creek.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Interested in the current/past/future moon phase.....check this out! You can add any of these to your Google I page....Neat

http://www.google.com/ig/directory?q...%2Fig&dpos=top

Post Thanks / Like

Funny I fished every weekend this month for walleye except last weekend. We had decent luck most weekends but last weekend when I didnt go everyone was killin'em. There was zero moon last weekend and as it phased back in the walleye fishing died back down. I thought there might be some correlation???

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you back elwood, hope all is going well. I like full moon fishing, need a little light, this oughjt to be the last month of crawdads turning if this cool weather holds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Good to see you back elwood, hope all is going well. I like full moon fishing, need a little light, this oughjt to be the last month of crawdads turning if this cool weather holds.
    Depends on where you are fishing at. They will spawn/smolt from April to November at Dale, at least that is what I have always heard. I have actually night fished as late as October at Cumberland and had an outstanding night using a Super Zara Spook and caught both Smallies and Stripers on topwater that night and have even tried night fishing Dale once in December then a second time in February. Never got a bite either night but basically just killed time until the sun came up and then the FNF bite was on. Never know until you try