Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland at Helms

I see the flow is dropping down to 1.5k in the next couple days. Has anyone fished the Helms area with a canoe or kayak at this level? I'm wondering if it's possible to buck the current and paddle upstream toward Kendall, say a mile or two, get out of the boat, wade and work your way back toward the ramp. Not possible at 10K but how about 1.5?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland at Helms

Definitely possible..................did it quite a few times a last year at 2200.......

You will be able to put in at kendal, and float all the way to helms and paddle back to kendal in about 2 hrs or so...........

NOT bad at all.......

Most trips, I float it TWICE

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know!

I have a quick question though.... at what level is it too high to paddle back upstream? they are forcasting rain for Thrs and Fri and I am wondering if it rains if this will still be possible?

I have a trolling motor and would like to float down and then troll back up to the ramp at the dam (avoid paying for the shuttle)

Thanks!

PS any tips for fishing around Helms would be appreciated. I seem to get skunked down that far river! I do well up river just not down there

Post Thanks / Like

3000 might be pushing it.............

BUT if it is still hard, it will ONLY be hard to paddle up in the runs. You can generally line it up those........I've gotten wet at the last run before helms. That one is REALLY tough to paddle, but it can be done.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Definitely possible..................did it quite a few times a last year at 2200.......

You will be able to put in at kendal, and float all the way to helms and paddle back to kendal in about 2 hrs or so...........

NOT bad at all.......

Most trips, I float it TWICE

Later,

Geo
    Geo is on roids though! lol! Up and down twice in one trip, you da man!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Shuttle? Can you give some contact info on shuttle, and where it puts in and takes out? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The shuttle is a local guy who will drive your vehicle from one spot to another and lock the keys in it for $30. It sure beats driving two vehicles for those of us without outboards....

Here's the contact info
    http://www.cumberlanddrifters.com/Cu..._and_Cabin.htm

Couple weekends ago he picked up my truck at the dam and left it at Winfrey's Ferry. It was a good day long drift for me (they were sluicing or maybe running 1 generator - I can't remember now)

But I would rather just troll back up or paddle back up then pay (grad student)

Post Thanks / Like

BurleyDog,
    Thanks for the information. A lot of us have been looking for a shuttle on the Cumberland for quite some time.
    Plan to try the Helms Ferry area tomorrow in my canoe. Will post a report later in the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who's going tomorrow shoot me a PM and maybe we can arange our own shuttle

Tight lines

BurleyDog

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Helms on Friday. I found the bite slow but other guys were catching fish, so maybe they knew more than I did. I was able to paddle upstream in my canoe to Black Fish Creek and found lots of shallow flats to wade. After I slid my canoe in, I saw one guy trying to float his bass boat off his trailer and had to back so far into the river that all four tires were covered up to the the wheel wells and his exhaust pipe was gurgling river water. I saw about a dozen power boats moving up and down the river throughout the day, so I guess you were OK, once you got your boat off the trailer. I was able to wade without waders, which I cannot do if the temperature is in the 50's. I'd say the temperature was in the low 60's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    I was at Helms on Friday. I found the bite slow but other guys were catching fish, so maybe they knew more than I did. I was able to paddle upstream in my canoe to Black Fish Creek and found lots of shallow flats to wade. After I slid my canoe in, I saw one guy trying to float his bass boat off his trailer and had to back so far into the river that all four tires were covered up to the the wheel wells and his exhaust pipe was gurgling river water. I saw about a dozen power boats moving up and down the river throughout the day, so I guess you were OK, once you got your boat off the trailer. I was able to wade without waders, which I cannot do if the temperature is in the 50's. I'd say the temperature was in the low 60's.
    This time of year, if you're finding the bite to be slow, (and this is cheating!) rig a nightcrawler on a harness and finess it like a plug. The results will suprise you. One year I drifted past an old timer throwing a kermit the frog colored great lakes spoon the size of a pack of camels. I asked him if he was casting for stripers. He simply showed me two 8lb rainbows on a chain. It's crazy the **** you learn and see on that river.

Post Thanks / Like

If the spin bite is slow, FLY FISH!!! (it's always hot!)

-Rich

p.s. That one was for you Ken! lol!