Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Catfishing on Barren ????

Hello all, New to the forum and enjoy reading all these threads. I live about 20 minutes from Barren River Lake. I've fished the lake for along time, mainly for bass. What little catfishin I've done, most have been pretty good size. However, I can't ever catch them in larger numbers, just mostly here and there. BRL is supposed to be one of the better channel cat fisheries in the state and I've seen alot pulled out of there. My question is where are some of the hottest areas on the lake for cats? Where are cats holding this time of year? Any info would be appreciated. My 9 and 6 year old daughters are starting to love fishing, but their getting tired of daddy setting them up for panfish. They want to start catfishing!!! Thanks gals and guys!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catfishing on Barren ????

Can't help on the cat but welcome too the board.Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir, glad to be here!

Post Thanks / Like

Bump, Surely there are some catmen on here???

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by isukatfishin View Post
    My question is where are some of the hottest areas on the lake for cats?
    Issy,

Here's what I do and where I go. First off is bait collection. I ty for gizzard shad up in shallow water with a cast net. If that doesn't produce, I grab the bobber rod, and go catch 12-15 bluegills. I try to chuck out the big ones and just keep the little ones, say 5 inches or less.

I ramp in at the Narrows. I come out thru the cgap at the marina, then turn left, and follow the walls. I follow that bank around the big curve, bank on my left. I pass the first little cove, then pass the second cove. The Third long cove on your left, I pull in close to the mouth opf that cove on the left side bank. I set the gills up on bottom rigs, and fan the lines out so some or on each side of the point and some are right out from the point. Once the lines are out and sinkers on the bottom, I let out about 6 feet more line so the gills pull the slack thru the bottom rigs and have more room to run.

Google the Map of Barren, and you can see the cut thru at the Narrows, then the 2 coves I pass, and the third long one I'm talking about. That are has never let me down. I usually get there just as sun is setting, and fish till 2 or 3 am. Usually get consistent bites, rod sreaming every 15-20 minutes.

Good luck, hope it helps. If I'm there when you get there, just introduce yourself and I'll move over and give you some room!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Issy,

Here's what I do and where I go. First off is bait collection. I ty for gizzard shad up in shallow water with a cast net. If that doesn't produce, I grab the bobber rod, and go catch 12-15 bluegills. I try to chuck out the big ones and just keep the little ones, say 5 inches or less.

I ramp in at the Narrows. I come out thru the cgap at the marina, then turn left, and follow the walls. I follow that bank around the big curve, bank on my left. I pass the first little cove, then pass the second cove. The Third long cove on your left, I pull in close to the mouth opf that cove on the left side bank. I set the gills up on bottom rigs, and fan the lines out so some or on each side of the point and some are right out from the point. Once the lines are out and sinkers on the bottom, I let out about 6 feet more line so the gills pull the slack thru the bottom rigs and have more room to run.

Google the Map of Barren, and you can see the cut thru at the Narrows, then the 2 coves I pass, and the third long one I'm talking about. That are has never let me down. I usually get there just as sun is setting, and fish till 2 or 3 am. Usually get consistent bites, rod sreaming every 15-20 minutes.

Good luck, hope it helps. If I'm there when you get there, just introduce yourself and I'll move over and give you some room!
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. But, you don't have to fear me taking all your fish............hence the screen name!! Bob, do you ever catch your shad below the tailwaters, or do it in the lake??

HURRICANEBOB Guest

you bob marley! You da man! Great map, dead on ole chap!

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by isukatfishin View Post
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. But, you don't have to fear me taking all your fish............hence the screen name!! Bob, do you ever catch your shad below the tailwaters, or do it in the lake??
    In the lake. Coming out of the Narrows no wake, I go straight across to the little island, and the bay behind it. If that don't work, I keep heading out, checking all the little bays and fingers on both sides.

Maybe somebody else can answer this for both of us........
    Shiners, say 4-6 inches long. Good substitute for shad? Never tried them there cause shiners tend to hug the bottom. But, cats root thru the bottom to chase stuff up. So should they work okay?

Post Thanks / Like

yea, I dunno bout shiners either. I've heard of people netting up shad in the tailwaters, didnt know if that was legal or not. I would say it is legal. H-Bob, do you ever use livers? Or maybe shrimp? Whats your fav. bait or is it shad?