Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patoka

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka

Thinking about heading up there Wednesday. I've never fished for strippers there. Any suggestions or location tips? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Patoka

There was a big striper kill two summers ago that took a lot of the bigger fish out of the lake. There are still some big one's left and rumors of a 39 lber. that was caught several weeks ago.

Personally, I would wait until about November if I was going after them. Most now are deep and following shad around the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishNnut View Post
    There was a big striper kill two summers ago that took a lot of the bigger fish out of the lake. There are still some big one's left and rumors of a 39 lber. that was caught several weeks ago.

Personally, I would wait until about November if I was going after them. Most now are deep and following shad around the lake.
    Wow....never heard of a hybrid Striper getting that big!!!!! What a fight that would be....I've had a 12-13 lber. pull a 20 ft. bass around in a circle!!!! I doubt there was one really that big, but who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lroberts View Post
    Wow....never heard of a hybrid Striper getting that big!!!!! What a fight that would be....I've had a 12-13 lber. pull a 20 ft. bass around in a circle!!!! I doubt there was one really that big, but who knows.
    They stocked PURE Strain stripers...........not hybrids in Patoka. I believe there are now some hybrids there, but the stocking program added Stripers.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

You know how rumors are. There is suppose to be a picture of it in a bait shop around the lake somewhere (maybe reporter know something about it?). I was told the guy that caught it did not know that it would be a state record and they were trying to track him down. I would guess that the owner of the bait shop would know that the fish was a record

Post Thanks / Like

I heard them talking about this at Poor Boys one morning. That thing would be a monster. Is anyone catching any bass? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I found good ones, just couldn't hook em. All in the shallow grass.
    Last edited by Dakota Kid; 09-08-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: cuz
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    They stocked PURE Strain stripers...........not hybrids in Patoka. I believe there are now some hybrids there, but the stocking program added Stripers.

Later,

Geo

Ahhh...did not know that! Never fished it before so wasn't up to snuff! Do they reproduce there??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lroberts View Post
    Ahhh...did not know that! Never fished it before so wasn't up to snuff! Do they reproduce there??
    I heard that rumor too. Don't really know if it is anything other than that. The stripers do not reproduce in Patoka. Got an email from Dan Carnahan(District biologist) and he said they had lost almost all the stripers at the hatchery. May be some lean times for a while.

I did almost catch the grandslam of bass today. Caught some largemouths, a striper, a white bass and a yellow bass. All I needed was one smallie but just couldn't find one. Also caught several nice crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks raporter

Post Thanks / Like

Raporter - did he mention what happen to the stripers? That is too bad to lose the hatchery stripers.

I can't seem to catch those brown fish at Patoka - I have had buddies in my boat catch em - but they won't bite what I've been throwing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSLT View Post
    Raporter - did he mention what happen to the stripers?
    They died from a virus.