Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankbait Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Crankbait Rod

Im getting a beefier rod to throw deep running cranks (dd22) and some medium runners. Ive decided on a reel the shimano Cardiff. But im having trouble deciding on a rod im choosing between: gloomis crankbait rod, st. Croix glass crankbait rod, shimano crucial crank rod, american rodsmith david fritts rod, or the lamiglass skeet reese rod... Any prefrences?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Crankbait Rod

American Rodsmith has two different series of David Fritts crankin rods, one glass and one titanium...I have the $110 glass rod and love it....They have a 7'6" and 7'11"model...I have the 7'11" and love to throw a DD22 on it....It has great feel and super action for smaller diameter line and playing a fish without them throwing the hooks.

I don't think you would be let down with the American Rodsmiths rods...I have several and the quality, prices, and customer service are all wonderful!!!!

Robbie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crankbait Rod

I have two of the St. Croix Mojo Bass CB rods and really like them for the price. I am sure the others you mentioned, especially the glass ones are little better quality, but the bigger $$$$ comes along with that. St. Croix has a great warranty program and didn't give me any hassles on sending me a new one when I broke one...oops!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano Crucial 7' MH for the bigger cranks. Works well with smaller cranks too. The M action Crucial is too limber for DD22s, the big Bomber Fat Frees, and the Strike King Series 6s -- you'll feel like the crank is throttling you. Its like that with any manufacturer if you don't have the correct action.

The 7' MH Crucial is a great all around rod. I throw all my cranks with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the less expensive Fritts glass rod. It is a great rod. But my favorite rod is a Quarrow glass cranking rod. It is by far the best glass rod that I have ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

I went through several crankbait rods trying to find one that met my style of fishing. I tried so many brands that I can't remember them all, such as All Star, David Fritz, Falcon, Team Daiwa, Lamiglass, Bass Pro, and St Croix. The odd thing is that I has a Bass Pro Bionic Blade MH action pitching stick series thay had several years ago that I was using for cranking. I was comparing these other rods to the Pitch Stick and it would cast farther, I could feel the bait better, and fish stayed hooked up. When I first received the pitching stick I was disappointed because I though that it had too soft of an action for pitching, but it worked out great for cranking. The pitching stick burnt in my garage fire and I now have use the Team Daiwa 7' M ( the green one) and the St Croix 7" MH graphite cranking stick. These both work good for me, I have to have a cranking rod with good sensitivity, since I do not like the numb feeling some crankin rods have.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the g loomis crankbait rod I loose a lot of fish by them pulling loose.
    Its a MH.7 footer .I would get the GL3 Med. as long as I could find it. If not it I would get the Castaway 7 1/2 Ft Launcher. Thats if I were deep cranking. Catch!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Crucial 7MH crankbait rod is a nice choice and can be used for burning blades or buzzbaits if you like.

I use a Gloomis CBR847 for the DD22 but have both rods. The 847 is slightly more powerfull then the Crucial.

Both have excellent sensitivity. The factory handle on the Crucial is a little longer then the gloomis which is nice. My loomis is a custom build so I had the handle of it made longer.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is for the Crucial 7' MH.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Im getting a beefier rod to throw deep running cranks (dd22) and some medium runners. Ive decided on a reel the shimano Cardiff. But im having trouble deciding on a rod im choosing between: gloomis crankbait rod, st. Croix glass crankbait rod, shimano crucial crank rod, american rodsmith david fritts rod, or the lamiglass skeet reese rod... Any prefrences?
    This is not on your list of rods, but consider looking at what Kistler rods has to offer. I switched to these rods a few years back now, and have been very happy with them.

Justin Hires
    www.USABassin.com
    www.Fishinsites.com

Post Thanks / Like

I was given a brand new American Rodsmith glass crankin' rod a few months ago. I've really enjoyed fishing deeper crankbaits with it (10-14' runners). I hook up with and land more fish now. My BPS Extreme crankin' rod was too stiff and I was losing every other fish I hooked... My buddy, Jabbo, uses the G.Loomis for crankin' and loves it!

Your list includes lots of good options. I don't think you'll go wrong buying any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on the quality of these rods, but they are very pricey!!!