Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bluegrass!!! OH MY!!!!!!

Steve, obviously you did not read my post. I said that in my opinion, electro is spotty. I just stated the facts that are found on the creel survey. Do I believe there are big one's in there...yes, but depends on what you consider a big one. How big have you caught out of there? Do I believe that there is a good enough population of 8+ and 9+ pound fish that someone would catch this amount of fish the first week of Sept.? Everyone knows fisherman always tell the truth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishNnut View Post
    Steve, obviously you did not read my post. I said that in my opinion, electro is spotty. I just stated the facts that are found on the creel survey. Do I believe there are big one's in there...yes, but depends on what you consider a big one. How big have you caught out of there? Do I believe that there is a good enough population of 8+ and 9+ pound fish that someone would catch this amount of fish the first week of Sept.? Everyone knows fisherman always tell the truth.
    haha i didn't mean u were badly mistaken, just anyone in general who believes that. but i am with you. i always look at the creel survey but don't use it as a basis for evidence for me to fish certain lakes. i've caught 10 that i can think of this year from bluegrass and loon combined that were over 5. but my biggest was not 9 pounds, but i do believe they are in there. but they don't get that big by being stupid and getting caught.

Post Thanks / Like

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/y...Midd/photo.jpg

There you go. My dads best friend Jerry with his monster. Thank god my girlfriend figured out how to post that while I was out of town. Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a big fish, but it looks skinny.. was it weighed? It looks like a 7lb maybe

Post Thanks / Like

I must agree.....very nice fish...wish I would have caught it. However, that is not a nine 3/4lb fish....maybe seven as Stevens said.

Post Thanks / Like

This bass I caught is much closer to 9 lbs. !

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Jenny/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Jenny/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
    http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/luarober2002/

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys...that didn't work very well....what did I do wrong? I think you might be able to see it if you scroll down and click on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Elecrofishing only shows us the number of bass in the shallow waters along the edge of the waters. It does not sample any fish in the deeper waters. The deeper waters would include most of the lake. Points and underwater ledges are not really sampled for the most part when doing the electroshocking.

I did some electro shocking in the Walbash River which is a much different environment than a lake. I also have watched the IDNR doing electro shocking on Bluegrass Pit and a few of the other smaller pits in the Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife Area.

As far as the number and size of the fish that JustinM claims to have caught I too would like to see a photograph of all those big bass. Justin did you do a fishing survey with the IDNR guy "KEN"?

I personally know of one guys that caught several fish that were under 18" but were measured by IDNR Conservation Officers at 16" or so.

I have seen one 6# bass come out of Otter Pit. I have also seen some other nice bass come out of otter pit.

Most guys fish the shallows or along the edge and only a few actually fish the deeper waters.

When you think of the amount of pressure that Bluegrass gets it's hard to believe that any fish would be left in those waters but they do exist.

Now I have heard many stories about Bluegrass pits early days before the general public was allowed on those waters. Tails of big fish were common in the Warrick County Area.

I guess that JustinM knows were the fish hang out better than all the other guys that fish the lake. Most guys don't fish the lake 3 or 4 times a week like Justin does.

It's been my experience that the more I have fished and learned a lake the better I am at finding the fish. I have also found over the past 6 years that fishing on Bluegrass Pit can be hot and cold at the same spot though out the same day. I know this because I have fished the same spot for hours at a time and seen the fish just turn on. And guess what? The solunar tables have often predicted the time that the fish turn on. I personally have caught over 50 crappie in just under an hour on bluegrass in the same spot.

Justin just upload some of your fish pictures to photo-bucket. Once you get a photo-bucket album you can easily copy those pictures into your fishin.com post in here.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNnut View Post
    In April of last year, the DNR conducted a creel survey on Bluegrass. They did so on two separate days for a total of 3.27 hours. Although the results were better for larger fish than the 2004 survey (18"/2 fish limit enacted in 2003) and electrofishing is "spotty" in my opinion, they failed to bring a fish up larger than 20"(4.1 lb.) and 4.6 lb.(19.5"). This was out of a total 292 bass with the majority being 8-13".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/y...Midd/photo.jpg

There you go. My dads best friend Jerry with his monster. Thank god my girlfriend figured out how to post that while I was out of town. Enjoy
    nice fish, but not 9 lbs. probably not even 7.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...look at the one I posted....its much bigger and I estimated it a little over 8 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

One other thing........I don't doubt the numbers or SIZE one bit...........One September, a few years ago, I had an opportunity to fish a watershed owned by a sand company......My fishing buddy and I caught 100 bass before noon, and over 100 bass in the afternoon. We caught MANY over 5, a few pushing 6 and 3 over 7.....

I'm just saying........sounds like a fishing story, but I KNOW it's not.......This particular pit is managed by an ole boy to PRODUCE large fish. He has personally caught 4 or 5 over 10, and knows of a few more over 10 that have been caught there. AND only a handful of people have had the opportunity to fish it.......

Later,

Geo
    Hey no doubt, old pits are the real deal. My uncle lets me fish with him a couple times a year at a peabody pit in warrick county thats surrounded by private land. Its awesome, you can go there and catch 20 5lbers and a 10lber has been caught out of there before.. but thats not what were talkin bout at bluegrass. The lakes are good. but there not better than good and they get some heavy pressure. If anyone really catches a 32lb+ sack out of there, i will quit fishing cause i must really **** if i struggle catchin 5lbers out of there.

Post Thanks / Like

well i fish bluegrass all the time and there is some really good fish. I was there sunday and caught one bass that was 3.9, been caughting some really good crappies. I had one last week that was 1.5 lbs. now about the big bass(9.8) i talked to a guy sunday that said he saw the 9.8 bass, This guy is always out at bluegrass training his dogs. he said that they weight the bass and then released the fish. no word on if there was another big fish with it.