Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What Happened to the unity after 9/11

Was reminded of this last night while watching Glen Beck.

He asked a question concerning the aftermath of 9/11....of who is responsible for letting or causing the demise of the feeling that the United States was a force to be reckoned with? A feeling of being all together regardless of political views. The proud feeling we all had watching the volunteers help their fallen citizens....remember? Blacks, Whites, Asians, Hispanics, Dems, Pubs and even political leaders were looked at with admiration. What happened and who started this division?

I have my ideas but it does make you think about how the country banded together for that short time. Remember that? People enlisted to go after the bad guys and the country was pumped up! Now look at us.

I blame the politicians and their agenda of being in power and getting paid with no regard for the citizens. Both parties are to blame since they both cast stones at eachother.....daily.

Sad isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Happened to the unity after 9/11

You are right Don, it is sad, but maybe it will happen again and Americans will come together after Iran or North Korea drop a nuclear missle on New York or Los Angeles, or after Al Kaida (sp) agents come accross the Mexican boarder in droves with suitcases full of Biological agents for Dallas, Las Vegas, Denver, et al. That is, if there are any Americans left to come together.

As Ronald Reagan said: "American has never had to fight a war BECAUSE WE WERE TOO STRONG!"

gRUMPY

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know I think about this alot. After 9/11 I never felt closer to my family, friends, and even complete strangers. I was ready to stand up and fight and still am for everyone that calls this great country of ours their homeland. However right now it does seem very far removed from that and I think that is a terrible thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Was reminded of this last night while watching Glen Beck.

He asked a question concerning the aftermath of 9/11....of who is responsible for letting or causing the demise of the feeling that the United States was a force to be reckoned with? A feeling of being all together regardless of political views. The proud feeling we all had watching the volunteers help their fallen citizens....remember? Blacks, Whites, Asians, Hispanics, Dems, Pubs and even political leaders were looked at with admiration. What happened and who started this division?

I have my ideas but it does make you think about how the country banded together for that short time. Remember that? People enlisted to go after the bad guys and the country was pumped up! Now look at us.

I blame the politicians and their agenda of being in power and getting paid with no regard for the citizens. Both parties are to blame since they both cast stones at eachother.....daily.

Sad isn't it?

I think it started when things were going bad in Iraq. Bush sold that war to the people (yep I bought into it at first) and then things weren't found that was supposed to be there....... all while Bin Laden was still running around and people felt duped. If Bin Laden had been captured/killed I think the country as a whole would have banned together tighter and much longer just because of the closure to the whole thing. jmho

Plus americans have short attention spans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pontooner View Post
    I think it started when things were going bad in Iraq. Bush sold that war to the people (yep I bought into it at first) and then things weren't found that was supposed to be there....... all while Bin Laden was still running around and people felt duped. If Bin Laden had been captured/killed I think the country as a whole would have banned together tighter and much longer just because of the closure to the whole thing. jmho

Plus americans have short attention spans.
    I will only agree with the short attention span.
    However, as far as he rest of the statement I disagree. If we just killed Bin Laden (one terrorist) I don't think the problem would have been resolved and the American people would have been satisfied to have left it at that and went on their merry way. He would have just been a martyr for the rest of the terrorists who would have picked up where he left off.
    Let's stay focused here. Saddam was the one at fault not Bush. Bin Laden and the terrorists were at fault not Bush. Countries like Iran who financially support these terrorists were at fault, not Bush.
    I wish the media would have put as much time, money and effort into finding Bin Laden as they put into Bush bashing.
    Was Bush perfect? No. But he wasn't the problem.
    The other part of the problem is politcians and the media. Politicians and their backers want to be in power to help them put money in their pockets. And the media is formatting their reporting towards what their financial interests are.
    We the american people are at fault for letting them divide and distract us. Our country has become that of fast food, quickie marts, and quickie .. well everything has to be quick. And if it isn't quick we get pissed. I mean after all we can have all these other things in life quick why can't we have quick retribution and a quick war as well. It may be we have just become a country of spoiled brats. Those who have fallen deserve better from us. jmho

Post Thanks / Like

We all have a habit of forgetting that the rationale Bush gave for invading Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism and everything to do with supposed WMDs. Remember Colin Powell at the UN holding up the fake vial of anthrax? When no WMDs were found, the purpose changed to fighting terrorism. Sort of like how Obama's purpose for Obamacare changed from insuring 47 million uninsured to cutting waste and costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, After 9/11 I didn't care if Saddam had the WMD's or not, he was a terrorist dictator, and a sworn enemy of the U.S., and that's all the justification I needed.

Post Thanks / Like

What terrorism was Saddam involved in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassiusmaximus View Post
    I will only agree with the short attention span.
    However, as far as he rest of the statement I disagree. If we just killed Bin Laden (one terrorist) I don't think the problem would have been resolved and the American people would have been satisfied to have left it at that and went on their merry way. He would have just been a martyr for the rest of the terrorists who would have picked up where he left off.
    Let's stay focused here. Saddam was the one at fault not Bush. Bin Laden and the terrorists were at fault not Bush. Countries like Iran who financially support these terrorists were at fault, not Bush.
    I wish the media would have put as much time, money and effort into finding Bin Laden as they put into Bush bashing.
    Was Bush perfect? No. But he wasn't the problem.
    The other part of the problem is politcians and the media. Politicians and their backers want to be in power to help them put money in their pockets. And the media is formatting their reporting towards what their financial interests are.
    We the american people are at fault for letting them divide and distract us. Our country has become that of fast food, quickie marts, and quickie .. well everything has to be quick. And if it isn't quick we get pissed. I mean after all we can have all these other things in life quick why can't we have quick retribution and a quick war as well. It may be we have just become a country of spoiled brats. Those who have fallen deserve better from us. jmho
    You missed my point, Iraq was a sidetrack to what the bigger goal was, which was catching the person/people responsible for 9-11 and it divided the country.

When you think about 9-11 does the name Saddam even pop into your head because it sure doesn't mine, the name that pops into my head is Bin Laden and then the fact he is still free/alive.

And besides anyway the post title is "What Happened to the unity after 9/11" and I gave my opinion, so I'm not going to sidetrack DJD's post arguing with you about Iraq. If you start a Iraq this,that....... post I will be more than happy to share my thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pontooner View Post
    You missed my point, Iraq was a sidetrack to what the bigger goal was, which was catching the person/people responsible for 9-11 and it divided the country.

When you think about 9-11 does the name Saddam even pop into your head because it sure doesn't mine, the name that pops into my head is Bin Laden and then the fact he is still free/alive.

And besides anyway the post title is "What Happened to the unity after 9/11" and I gave my opinion, so I'm not going to sidetrack DJD's post arguing with you about Iraq. If you start a Iraq this,that....... post I will be more than happy to share my thoughts.
    Well your the one that pointed at Bush as being the problem for the divide so don't be suprised that some people disagree. We will never ever agree on that.
    I suppose you think that if we had got Bin Laden and killed him or put him on trial this would all have been over. Sure we would have been happy about it but for how long? Would our worries have been quelled? What were we going to do after that? Were we going to wait for the next attack then go get whomever the next Bin Laden is at that time? Meanwhile the terrorist organization goes on killing innocent americans. 3000 americans for 20 terrorists (19 hijackers and Bin Laden) bet the terrorists would like that. It should be very obvious that there were alot of people in these organizations that wanted to do us harm besides Bin Laden. These organizations are backed by anti-american governments and others who want to harm us but want to avoid reprucussions. And in my opinion they should all pay no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    What terrorism was Saddam involved in?
    You might try reading some of the info obtained from just small percentage of captured Iraqi documents that have been translated so far. Its has some interesting reading. Make your own decision if he was involved in terrorism or not.

http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/iraqi/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassiusmaximus View Post
    Well your the one that pointed at Bush as being the problem for the divide so don't be suprised that some people disagree. We will never ever agree on that.
    I suppose you think that if we had got Bin Laden and killed him or put him on trial this would all have been over. Sure we would have been happy about it but for how long? Would our worries have been quelled? What were we going to do after that? Were we going to wait for the next attack then go get whomever the next Bin Laden is at that time? Meanwhile the terrorist organization goes on killing innocent americans. 3000 americans for 20 terrorists (19 hijackers and Bin Laden) bet the terrorists would like that. It should be very obvious that there were alot of people in these organizations that wanted to do us harm besides Bin Laden. These organizations are backed by anti-american governments and others who want to harm us but want to avoid reprucussions. And in my opinion they should all pay no matter how long it takes.
    Okay I'm going to break this down for you as simple as I can.

DJD started the thread by asking "What Happened to the unity after 9/11"

I gave my opinion that the Iraq war (a very unpopular war whether you want to admit it or not) started by Bush, yes started by Bush who tried to tie the attacks on 9/11 to Iraq and Saddam but never really did it divided the "unity after 9/11" that DJD was asking about.

And also gave my opinion that had we just focused on Bin Laden and captured/killed him there would have been a victory mentality that would have "united" us more instead of people even talking abou the Iraq war. Would of the "unity" worn off by now? I don't know but I bet it would have lasted longer than it did with the Iraq war in the equation.

Never said we would be safe/safer if we got rid of Bin Laden or hadn't got Saddam just giving my opinion about "What Happened to the unity after 9/11"

What's you opinion about DJD's question "What Happened to the unity after 9/11"? Just we have short attention spans.