Search Fishin.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat trailer license

Quote Originally Posted by bigrod View Post
    Thank you Roadtoad for your confirmation. I hope you get well soon. I hate being sick and we are coming to a bad time of year for it.
    Thanks for that. I went to the Dr. today and got the medicine I need, so I'll be fine soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Why spend the extra money when the law clearly does not require a tag?..I've been into many other states pulling a boat, Oh, TN, SC, Fl...and never had a problem, I did get pulled in ohio and then the officer came to my window and said "ohh I just realized you were from KY...have a nice day!" If its not required by law why spend money on it, thats my view...especially having no previous problems!
    Its an insurance policy. It doesn't cost much--maybe $20. But what would a ticket in another state cost? And yeah, you can go to court and defend it and you should win, but what will that cost in terms of time and travel? A person probably couldn't get to TN, spend the day in court and get back for less than $200--10 years worth of paying for that tag.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't get a ticket in another state becuase the State that your vehicle and boat is licensed in is KY and we don't require a tag on the trailer, it doesnt matter what other states laws are...you can't get a ticket for that!! unless your boat is licensed in a state that requires it. so your argument is void because you will NOT get a ticket for not having a tag on your trailer in a state that requires it if your from another state that doesnt...its that simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not buy the plate? $20 bucks = 1 30 pack of beer and ice for the cooler..............

Post Thanks / Like

You won't get a ticket in another state becuase the State that your vehicle and boat is licensed in is KY and we don't require a tag on the trailer, it doesnt matter what other states laws are...you can't get a ticket for that!! unless your boat is licensed in a state that requires it. so your argument is void because you will NOT get a ticket for not having a tag on your trailer in a state that requires it if your from another state that doesnt...its that simple.
    Not true. Your boat and trailer can be licensed and registered in different states. So really, where your boat is licensed has no bearing on your trailer status. And it has happened where people from a different state have gotten a ticket for not having a plate on their trailer in a state that requires it. Sure, you'll win in court, but you can't say that someone will NOT get a ticket. I'm surprised someone hasn't weighed in that's been ticketed yet. Heck, its known some police depts set speed traps to raise money for the cities, so why would it be unrealistic to think they wouldn't try to give someone a ticket for not having a trailer license.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me tell you why nobody has weighed in on them getting a ticket for this. It's because it's not going to happen!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm done fightin on this one..all I can say is if you really want to get a tag for your trailer go ahead but I know as for me as long as I live in KY or any other state that doesn't require it...I will never get one becuase its money I don't have to spend and I know I'm never going to get ticketed for not having one...Im out!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm done fightin on this one..all I can say is if you really want to get a tag for your trailer go ahead but I know as for me as long as I live in KY or any other state that doesn't require it...I will never get one becuase its money I don't have to spend and I know I'm never going to get ticketed for not having one...Im out!
    So the 3 county clerks and the lady from Motor Vehicle Licensing were lying when they told me stories about people getting ticketed for this? I don't think so.

I didn't post this number before because I didn't want the woman to be inundated with calls about this, but if you don't believe it, call Motor Vehicle Licensing at 502-564-5301, and ask them yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

I often tow my plateless trailer in Ohio, so I emailed the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles and posed the question. Having completed peace officer training in Ohio, and having served as an Ohio police officer, I already knew the answer. But I thought it might be helpful to our discussion for them to weigh in. Their answer?

"Yes, it is legal for you to bring your trailer into Ohio. Since you are not a resident of this state, should you get stopped by law enforcement, you will need to provide proof of residency such as your driver's license."

I've never been stopped. As for the speed trap analogy, it is not a fair comparison, because trap or not, either you exceeded the limit or you didn't. A more appropriate analogy would be that KY doesn't require a front license plate, but other states do (Ohio, for one). Are those of you who waste $20 on a KY trailer plate also going to purchase a plate for the front of your truck?

So, there really are two answers. One, is what gives you peace of mind (spending money you don't need to as insurance) and the second is what is legally required. You are not required to display a license plate on your KY boat trailer when towing in another state.
    Last edited by Hershey102; 09-25-2009 at 05:35 PM.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't take my remarks as an endorsement of speed traps. They are unfair and rank just below how I feel about gar raiding trotlines :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d carry a copy of the Ky statue in the vehicle and when requested of said information concerning trailer tag I’d respectfully inform officer that Ky does not require registration and provide copy of statue. If he writes you, it will not stand up in court but that in itself penalized you because now you have to prove it in their jurisdiction. I would say that it would be mostly rookie officers doing this. Write a respectful letter/complaint afterwards to officers department detailing unnecessary citation and expenses. It won’t help your situation other than satisfaction of the officer being corrected (maybe) but could help the next Ky resident from going thru what you have. I don’t let the courthouse know that I have a trailer for my boat. If I did, they’d charge me taxes every year. Never been questioned. If they should ask me I’d tell them it stays on the lake that I fish or I have a friend transport it for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve dragged mine through, Ky, In,Tn, Ms, Al, Sc, Ga, and Fl, several trips and never had a problem.