Search Fishin.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I’ve dragged mine through, Ky, In,Tn, Ms, Al, Sc, Ga, and Fl, several trips and never had a problem.
    Ive heard tales of those that unfortunately have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    The state of Ky does not require it but if you pull to a state that does you need one. I think it is ALabama that does not require drivers to have insurance but if you come to KY and don't have it you get a ticket.

I have a license plate for my trailer for this very reason.
    That is the way I understand it. When I transferred my current boat (KY) they gave me a plate for the trailer. I think it costs a little extra. However I never put it on the trailer and now I don't know where is. I've pulled boats to the north and south borders and beyond and one time I got stopped and questioned about the trailer plate. This was before I was aware it was required if you travel to other states. I replied to the officer "Ky doesn't require a trailer plate" and I guess because that was what I believed at the time I was convincing and that was the end of it.

Best to get a plate if you're going to other states but I think it will cost a little more when you get your annual stickers (not positive on that).

Post Thanks / Like
    Insurance is a requirement for anyone that is operating a motor vehicle on the roads of the commonwealth, wether resident or not. I guarantee you that ALabama has the same requirement. They might not require insurance for their citizens but I bet you they require some proof of some sort of fiscal responsibility. We know that Ky does not require a boat trailer tag or a tag for personal use trailer, KRS 186.675 (2). Other states cannot force you to have something that is not required. If you do get a tag from Ky for your boat to just keep from getting a ticket, not only will you have to pay for the tag every year, you will also pay property tax on said trailer every year. It can ad up. It’s usually a rookie officers mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptObvious View Post
    Insurance is a requirement for anyone that is operating a motor vehicle on the roads of the commonwealth, wether resident or not. I guarantee you that ALabama has the same requirement. They might not require insurance for their citizens but I bet you they require some proof of some sort of fiscal responsibility. We know that Ky does not require a boat trailer tag or a tag for personal use trailer, KRS 186.675 (2). Other states cannot force you to have something that is not required. If you do get a tag from Ky for your boat to just keep from getting a ticket, not only will you have to pay for the tag every year, you will also pay property tax on said trailer every year. It can ad up. It’s usually a rookie officers mistake.
    Actually they can, to go thru their state. Alabama you only had to be bonded I believe, not the same and yes you could be given a ticket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    Actually they can, to go thru their state. Alabama you only had to be bonded I believe, not the same and yes you could be given a ticket.
    I stand corrected on the requirements to go thru their states. I used a too broad brush on that one. Motorcycle license, helmets would be a good example. If Indiana wanted you to have 4 brake lights or some sort equipment to be able to drive on their roadways, I can see that or if it was in a commercial operation, which is another big can of worms. If it gets too silly on some things, then reciprocity battles usually start between the states.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    That is the way I understand it. When I transferred my current boat (KY) they gave me a plate for the trailer. I think it costs a little extra. However I never put it on the trailer and now I don't know where is. I've pulled boats to the north and south borders and beyond and one time I got stopped and questioned about the trailer plate. This was before I was aware it was required if you travel to other states. I replied to the officer "Ky doesn't require a trailer plate" and I guess because that was what I believed at the time I was convincing and that was the end of it.

Best to get a plate if you're going to other states but I think it will cost a little more when you get your annual stickers (not positive on that).
    Just got my registration stickers for this year. Inquired about the trailer plate. A trailer tag is an additional $21 per year plus the tax on your trailer which in my case is $1.21
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got my registration stickers for this year. Inquired about the trailer plate. A trailer tag is an additional $21 per year plus the tax on your trailer which in my case is $1.21
    Now, will we have a discussion about the possibility of getting a citation in Ky for no trailer tag on a trailer that is not required to be tagged in the first place?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not trying to hijack this one but did you notice your boat registration fee doubled. I still had my old paper from 2017. It cost $22 to register my boat in 2017 but $44 in 2018. I an not talking about taxes because that is separate even though you just pay one collection fee. When paying mine this year I enquired about the increase and how the amount is determined. The boat registration fee goes 100% to KDFW and they determine what price is set. Local PVA Property Value Administrator sets the value of the boat and motor and the county sets a tax rate for the boat and motor. Looking at my bill from 2017 and comparing it to 2018 I paid almost $21 total more. I had a $22 increase from KDFW for the registration fee and my boat and motor drop slightly in value and it resulted in about $1 less taxes, hence the reason I noticed my $21 increase in my total bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    I am not trying to hijack this one but did you notice your boat registration fee doubled. I still had my old paper from 2017. It cost $22 to register my boat in 2017 but $44 in 2018. I an not talking about taxes because that is separate even though you just pay one collection fee. When paying mine this year I enquired about the increase and how the amount is determined. The boat registration fee goes 100% to KDFW and they determine what price is set. Local PVA Property Value Administrator sets the value of the boat and motor and the county sets a tax rate for the boat and motor. Looking at my bill from 2017 and comparing it to 2018 I paid almost $21 total more. I had a $22 increase from KDFW for the registration fee and my boat and motor drop slightly in value and it resulted in about $1 less taxes, hence the reason I noticed my $21 increase in my total bill.

Wow! I haven’t got mine yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    Yep same here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptObvious View Post
    Wow! I haven’t got mine yet.

Got it it finally. Same here

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer tag

We go to Canada every year. We get hassled at the border for no tag. Got a new boat and it cost me 12 dollars for the tag, it's not worth the trouble of explaining ky law in other states or border for 12 dollars! I had one border agent ask me "How do I know it's your trailer, I replied because my boat is sitting on it." They have NO sense of humor.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post