Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River Below the Dam

Anyone go the river this past weekend or last few days? Was wondering if anyone was catching anything after the fish kill. Let me know if you got any water temps also.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland River Below the Dam

Never heard there was a fish kill on the CR? There was a walleye kill up on the CL, but I haven't heard of a trout kill on the CR? Actually, I heard that they released a ton of stockers into the river there to get them out of the hatchery where water 02 was getting too low. The CR at the dam still has ample amount of 02 for the trout. Not sure where you heard that? Maybe I'm wrong?

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I had also heard what RICHYD4U had heard but, as I was planning on going for some easy pickins', would be curious to know about any recent fish kills as well.

Post Thanks / Like

It has been hot for the big stripers

Post Thanks / Like

I have looked everywhere, and can't find anything on a fish kill on the CR. He must have gotten the walleye kill on the CL confused with the CR. I would say fishing is still good on the CR. However, I would wait till all this rain passes because they have bumped up the generation again to 2,010 cfs. I wish the weather would dry out long enough so that I can get down there on 540 cfs!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on going down there the first weekend in Oct. If I can get off work. Plan on trout fishing during the day and throwing for walleyes and stripers at dusk and a while after dark. Ol daddy needs some fish in the freezer before winter sets in!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    It has been hot for the big stripers
    Which stretch?

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    I plan on going down there the first weekend in Oct. If I can get off work. Plan on trout fishing during the day and throwing for walleyes and stripers at dusk and a while after dark. Ol daddy needs some fish in the freezer before winter sets in!!
    Me too, if the generation goes back down. I have five days off of work that first week of Oct. I've been tying flies for months, waiting for the CR to get down to fly fishable levels. Then it happened, and I couldn't get down there...now it's back to 2,010 cfs! SOB! Guess I'll have to wait another few weeks, hopefully it will dry out.

My buddy and I always catch some monster eyes right there below Wolf Creek Dam at night. We go down to where the hatchery creek meets up with the CR and throw big old jerkbaits. Caught an eye there last winter doing that that went 9.3 lbs! That's some good eaten!!!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about! Filling the freezer; makes me want to plan another trip...to KY lake for fall paper mouth action! Had heard something about the Striper problems, hope with it being fall at 5:18 p.m. the water temps will be ok from here out, and that we have a dry spring/summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Me too, if the generation goes back down. I have five days off of work that first week of Oct. I've been tying flies for months, waiting for the CR to get down to fly fishable levels. Then it happened, and I couldn't get down there...now it's back to 2,010 cfs! SOB! Guess I'll have to wait another few weeks, hopefully it will dry out.

-Rich
    Rich - I love the River at 2010 - let er rip man!

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like that 2010 is coming from the sluice gate. Does anyone have a current water temp reading?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know the current temp, but 2010cfs is great because you can get anywhere in a boat at that level and you can still wade some places. I've caught more fish flowing than I've got sitting still.

Didn't hear anything about a fish kill...think it would be strange to do since they've done all they can to keep those fish alive.

go get 'em