Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland River Below the Dam

Need some help fellas. I used to go to CR quite a bit in my old jonboat but haven't been in a couple of years. I thinking of going down there this coming weekend. Buddy of mine has been a couple of times in the past month with good striper success.

My question is this, what is the preferred discharge rate from the dam to facilitate getting through the chutes? I have a 17-ft G3 Deep-V with a 75HP motor. I know it's a fine line. Too swift with discharge then quickly too shallow when they stop. But what's perfect in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markmac60 View Post
    . But what's perfect in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.
    Anytime you can go.

Most striper guys like generation - the harder it flows the tighter you need to fish to cover - success can be a pain in the arse. When it's really crankin' a snag can spool you quickly. I like a little color in the water too. You should be fine in your boat at 2010. As you probably already know some ramps/stretches are more big boat friendly than others. I fish it with a 23 ft fiberglass boat sometimes - although I wouldn't even think about launching without a river runner.

I don't know the measurement to put the water at the top of the ramp at Burkesville but that's about the only time I pass. At that rate you need your trolling motor on high just to keep the boards from passing the boat...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a gauge in Burkesville that says the water temp is 64 degrees. Generally the temp is cooler, the closer to the dam you get, so maybe we'll make it through this year. Here's a link to the gauge: http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/Water...RKK2&fid=&dt=S

Post Thanks / Like

that's a great link! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great link. Thanks from me as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on guys, we aren't all blessed with boats! 540 cfs is perfect for us "shore bound" fishermen. At 540 cfs, I can fly fish the river below the dam, and even cross the river to the other side. At 2,010 cfs, you would find me floating down by Burkesville somewhere! I can see why you boat guys would prefer 2,010....540 is a prop buster! Looks like it will stay at 2,010 for awhile after all this dang rain!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry RICHYD4U, don't mean to do a rain dance to get above 540. Just trying to figure out if I'll have a prop left if I go down there this weekend. Unfortunately for the CR, 540 is more the norm now and I hope you guys are bustin them while wading.

Post Thanks / Like

I see that this morning (Friday) they are now letting out 3480 cfs. Is it too fast for good fishing or should I just get down there and fish? I would hate to waste valuable fishing time by driving down there just to find out it's too fast or too high. What do you guys think?