Search Fishin.com

Thread: Yak fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Yak fisherman

Hey thinking about buying my first. Would like which one and why you brought that one. Also pics would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yak fisherman

This isn't exactly a Kayak, but its a plastic 1 man boat and its powered by a trolling motor, it has two foot pedals that are connected to the motor and allow hands free steering, these are awesome little 1 man boats...www.creekboats.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Bum View Post
    Hey thinking about buying my first. Would like which one and why you brought that one. Also pics would be nice.
    I have two Perception 11' Sit-in kayaks. The have different model names, but are basically identical. I know the model of one is "America", but I don't think they make that anymore.

I bought them because I was more comfortable with the sit-in and the price was good, but there are tons of people who swear by the sit-ons.

These have a fairly large cockpit opening and I think that makes them work well for fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the wilderness systems Tarpon 12 foot sit on Kayak. It does nice and is pretty stable. Pics will be on the photo board.

Post Thanks / Like

Sit-on-top for fair weather fishing, sit-in for not so fair. 12 to 14 feet should do it. Get a basic boat and customize it with all the fishing gear you want- rod holders, fish finder, anchor, etc... I've got an Old Towne Heron sit-in and a Necky Cruiser II sit-on. Love em both.

Post Thanks / Like

Take care picking your first. Once you start kayak fishing, you will never want to stop, and you'll use your yak for years to come.

Sit on tops (SOT) are more versatile. They look more unstable but they actually are more stable. In warm weather you can sit side saddle or let your legs dangle over each side. Sit-ins are much more confining. Unless you are going to fish a lot of extreme cold weather the SOT is the better choice.

Check out the kayakfishing.com forums for an extensive discussion on models and rigging. After several years I purchased a Hobie Pro Angler earlier this year. It's a great boat. Big but fast and versatile. I use it on lakes, in the Ohio River, the Gulf of Mexico near Destin, and the Choctahatchee Bay in Florida. Excels in all conditions.

The best boat in the $1,000 range is the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120, hands down. Great seat, very comfortable, fast, tough as nails. You can use it anywhere, under any conditions, especially if you add a rudder.

Don't rig a bunch of stuff at first. Keep it simple. You can't undrill a hole.

Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing for Gnu is way more fun than Yak Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattador View Post
    Check out the kayakfishing.com forums for an extensive discussion on models and rigging.

The best boat in the $1,000 range is the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120, hands down.
    Yes and yes. I own the WS Tarpon 140.

There has been plenty of discussion on this forum as well- search the past posts referencing kayaks.