Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone getting a flu shot?

It was mandatory I have one when I was in the Army, 1984. Within 2 days I had the worst case of the flu ever! I think they used me as a guinnea pig. I havent had one since but with all the stuff going around Im still afraid to get one, but kinda want one. Anyone take the shots annually and do good with them? Im sceered I will get the flu again from the shot!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone getting a flu shot?

I get it every year...........A few years ago I missed it, and GOT the flu...........

I've NEVER had the flu in 20-30 years, but that time.

Later,

Geo.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been getting flu shots ever year for a while now, and haven't had the flu in a year that I got the shot. They've got a lot better methods of killing the virus used in the vaccines now than they did 25 years ago. I would not worry about getting the flu from the vaccination.

Post Thanks / Like

It is impossible to get the flu from the vaccination. It is a DEAD virus. I laugh everytime I hear someone say that they won't get the flu vaccination because they always get the flu right after they get it. The only way this is possible is if there are two flu strains in a given year. Like this year, although you get a flu vaccination, you can still get H1N1 flu strain (swine flu). Although they are coming out with a vaccination for that soon. GET YOUR FLU SHOT!!! Will save you lots of missed work days if you do.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be getting mine usually in November.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year was the first year I ever got a flu shot...I only did it because the company I work for was paying for them at no cost to the employee...same gig this year on October 20th I think, so yea I'm getting one (If it's free it's me)

Post Thanks / Like

Within two days is the clue. It takes anywhere from 5-10 days for the vaccine to take effect, if you get sick before that 10 day period is over, you were probably exposed before you got the shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slippedcork View Post
    It was mandatory I have one when I was in the Army, 1984. Within 2 days I had the worst case of the flu ever! I think they used me as a guinnea pig. I havent had one since but with all the stuff going around Im still afraid to get one, but kinda want one. Anyone take the shots annually and do good with them? Im sceered I will get the flu again from the shot!
    I had a regular flu shot a week ago (Fluvirin 2009-2010)) and, other than slight soreness at the injection site, and a low grade fever for the rest of the day, which is normal, I'm fine. They gave me an information sheet on the flu vaccine and it said the vaccine that is injected is made from DEAD virus; the nasal spray type is a WEAK LIVE vaccine. Some people believe they are getting live virus injected but that is not true; you can't get the flu from taking a flu shot. My husband also had his shot and hardly knew he had taken it.

I have been taking flu shots for a long time and have not had as much as a cold within the past six years. I admit to being somewhat paranoid about shaking hands and carry antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizer at all times. I wipe the handles on shopping carts before using them also, just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassin_bug View Post
    I admit to being somewhat paranoid about shaking hands and carry antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizer at all times. I wipe the handles on shopping carts before using them also, just in case.
    LOL...me too Bug. I'll shake hands without hesitation but I'll keep my hands off my face and wash them or sanitize them when I can. Working around hospitals and schools can make you paranoid. Some of hose little buggers cough and sneeze without covering their mouth....yuck!

Post Thanks / Like

Not getting it. Never have and I don't remember the last time I had the flu. Maybe 20 years ago?

To some degree, I think most of this talk about the flu is just hype. Anymore, it seems that people almost think it's life or death if they don't get the shot.

Has the flu gotten worse in the last 20 years or has the hype gotten worse?

A little off topic, but I'm a believer that exposure to at least some germs and letting your body naturally get rid of them is good for you. If we never let ourselves come into contact with germs, don't you think eventually we'll be a lot weaker and far more susceptible to some epidemic?

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a regular flu shot the past couple years as has my wife and youngest son and none of us have been sick with plenty of others in our area having the flu.The H1N1 virus worries me though as the vaccine isn't out yet and there have been a dozen cases in my son's elementary school.Bishop Broussard School in Alexandria,Ky closed due to epidemic of the H1N1 virus,there have been multiple deaths in children up through college age students in the Greater Cincinnati Area,It is not Hype.
    Xavier University was pondering shutting down and there have been two deaths at Miami,Oh University in the past few days.On top of the "Swine" Flu there is a bad viral pnuemonia going around also.I only hope my son gets by until the vaccine comes out,my family intends to take the shot when it's available,silly to take chances.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB...40349/-1/today

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Not getting it. Never have and I don't remember the last time I had the flu. Maybe 20 years ago?

To some degree, I think most of this talk about the flu is just hype. Anymore, it seems that people almost think it's life or death if they don't get the shot.

Has the flu gotten worse in the last 20 years or has the hype gotten worse?

A little off topic, but I'm a believer that exposure to at least some germs and letting your body naturally get rid of them is good for you. If we never let ourselves come into contact with germs, don't you think eventually we'll be a lot weaker and far more susceptible to some epidemic?
    "Anymore, it seems that people almost think it's life or death if they don't get the shot."

What about my friend who has ALS, or my husband who is a heart patient, or people who have asthma, or Muscular Dystrophy patients. It IS a matter of life and death if they don't get the shots.

Yep, you believe that exposure to germs is good for you. What about malnourished children, and they are in the good old USA, who eat dirt to fill their empty bellies? I don't believe their immune system is quite strong enough to kick out the bad germs and keep the good ones.
    jmo