Search Fishin.com

Thread: Loomis Users

Post Thanks / Like

Loomis Users

For all you Loomis guys....Is there much difference in the IMX and the GLX? I realize the recoil guides but as far as sensitivity and weight is it worth the money to upgrade to GLX?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loomis Users

I think the IMX is a perfectly good rod especially considering the difference in price.

Post Thanks / Like

GLX is more sensitive and lighter. I have the same setup on a IMX and a GLX. A night and day difference tossing the same Jig.

Post Thanks / Like

GLX by far, but i would rank mossyback ahead of IMX for the way it is built, that is if your wanting a rod specific to a certian type of fish... IMX to me is more general use.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like the IMX better, I dont like the metal eyes on my GLX. I have lots of IMX and only one GLX so maybe its not fare to judge but I never got another GLX because I did not like it as much.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, we need to start with some basics to get our terminology right. Loomis makes many lines of rods. The most common line is the MBR series like the MBR 783. This rod can be bought in IMX, GLX or some other models like GL3 (I think).

Loomis also makes a Jig and Worm series that start with BCR titles like the BCR 803. This rod can be had in a GLX or in the Mossyback. Mossback graphite is considered by most not as good as IMX but because of the action some may like it better in absolute sensitivity terms.

The BCR series are faster actions then the MBR series. I consider the BCR GLX series rods the best worm and jig rods made. The BCR GLX series has a titanium guides which make the rod a tad lighter and more sensitive but they are not great for braid. The BCR series is generally not good for moving baits other then maybe a topwater frog.

Now back to your question

For my dedicated worm rods, I fish BCR GLX. I have tried almost everything on the market and I find these are my choice. I typically buy on ebay and get them for about the price of an IMX at full retail.

For blades, topwaters, lipless cranks, buzzbaits and other moving baits, I like the MBR series IMX about as well as the GLX. While I have mostly GLX rods even in the MBR series, I have them because I found great deals in ebay and not so much because I thougth I had to have GXL.

Now between say the MBR783 GLX and the BCR 803 GLX, the 803 is a step up sensitivity wise vs. the 783. It is not a matter of graphite but rather action of the graphite and guides.

So my advice, if you want a dedicated plastics or jig rod, spring for the BCR GLX series. For everything else IMX of the crankbait series will work fine.

Everyone will have different opinions about loomis but 4 years ago I had none, started with one IMX and now 9 of 10 rods I take in the boat are loomis, the one standout is a Steez.

Rods at home I use for backups are powel max, kistler, crucial, bass pro qualifier, st. Croix and airrus. All good rods but not what I take in the boat day in and out.

If you would want a pick for a powerful worm rod that will compare with the BCR GLX series at 25% the cost, send me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

one more thought for you.

My dad and i recently did a blind test between a MBR 783 IMX and MBR 783 GLX. We had identical reels but with differnt line. One had a high quality pure FC and the other Yozuri hybrid in a comparable diameter. We had the same baits and heads. We took turns alternating reels across the rods.

the 783 IMX with the Florocarbon line produced more vibration the 783 GLX with Yozuri hybrid. Sitting back watching my Dad retrieve, the different was visible even to me. The FC was jumping around dramatically each time a rock was hit, the yozuri not so much.

The point is that even on a high end rod the line makes a big difference. Now that same FC on the BCR series with the titanum guides well when the bluegill hits your senko you don't even respond because you know it is a gill. When the gill hits the senko on the MBR GLX series, you think for a moment was that a gill and conclude yes. No thinking on the BCR; I know in that case without reflection.

OK, I fish and try out equipment way too much!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you dont want to spend the $$$ get the Mossyback its the best of the both and dosnt run far from the IMX in price, and has better sensativity than an IMX.