Search Fishin.com

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Hurricane weather!

Anybody fish the Ohio or Cumberland in the high winds Friday? Any good war stories?

I considered it, then decided to strip wallpaper in my bathroom instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Hurricane weather!

Went out to the hydros Fri afternoon. Oil cap broke on buddies motor so we trailered boat and went to buy replacement...$57!! Set us back a couple hours. Figured after that much trouble, the fish gods might smile on us...didn't happen. Caught no fish (looking for stripes and skippies) and got beat to death by the water.

Wanna know what I'm doing today? Patching drywall to prep my son's room for repainting! Two days and not much fun on either. Hopefully Sunday will be better.

By the way...like your new avatar.
    Last edited by Fisherjoe; 10-03-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: forgot something

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hurricane weather!

Went out on the River. Got blown all over the place while on the main river. Retreated to a creek after an hour. At least we could cast and work the trolling motor at the same time. 2.5 Smallie in the creek. God still does miracles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherjoe View Post
    Went out to the hydros Fri afternoon. Oil cap broke on buddies motor so we trailered boat and went to buy replacement...$57!! Set us back a couple hours. Figured after that much trouble, the fish gods might smile on us...didn't happen. Caught no fish (looking for stripes and skippies) and got beat to death by the water.

Wanna know what I'm doing today? Patching drywall to prep my son's room for repainting! Two days and not much fun on either. Hopefully Sunday will be better.

By the way...like your new avatar.
    Joe I was the one in the cream colored boat drifting the lower dam area. I only saw one boat by the hydros so it had to be you. Did you put in at the ampitheater? I ended up catching 3, nothing big, one below the chute and 2 on down stream . All blues biggest around 25#. Wind was a pain...most the time blowing me upstream with a good current.I am glad I wasn't in my puddle jumper, butt be tight forsure. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Cumberland on Saturday and Sunday. Most of the day spent in Lilly Creek to get away from the wind. Not too bad and caught two stipers, one of which was turned loose due to size. Big water right out in front of Jamestown wasn't too bad, managable in a 17-ft. deep-V. Tried to go to Beaver creek later in the afternoon. Bad move. As soon as I came around Low Gap island heading toward the dam, 2-3 foot high swells sent me back where I came from. Small boat, big lake ........... know your limitations. Saturday night and Sunday were wind-free for the most part and beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished for stipes North side of Indian and did great in a cove. Huge schools surfacing and jumping all the way out of the water, always fun to catch on top water. Went farther up river just to see where other boats were and nothing. Surface action is not far away my favorite.
    Wind was not too bad not like Saturday in which I stayed home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Joe I was the one in the cream colored boat drifting the lower dam area. I only saw one boat by the hydros so it had to be you. Did you put in at the ampitheater? I ended up catching 3, nothing big, one below the chute and 2 on down stream . All blues biggest around 25#. Wind was a pain...most the time blowing me upstream with a good current.I am glad I wasn't in my puddle jumper, butt be tight forsure. Chuck
    Yeah, we used the ampitheater. Black Champion boat w/Mercury motor. You were down below the C-ville ramp when we seen you. We didn't try for cats but probably should have. We were on a schedule and didn't feel like fighting the wind any longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherjoe View Post
    Yeah, we used the ampitheater. Black Champion boat w/Mercury motor. You were down below the C-ville ramp when we seen you. We didn't try for cats but probably should have. We were on a schedule and didn't feel like fighting the wind any longer.
    The wind was definetly a brute, swing by and say hey next time...Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINHALL View Post
    Fished for stipes North side of Indian and did great in a cove. Huge schools surfacing and jumping all the way out of the water, always fun to catch on top water. Went farther up river just to see where other boats were and nothing. Surface action is not far away my favorite.
    Wind was not too bad not like Saturday in which I stayed home.
    Justin were you in a black or dark blue boat??? I was up that way on Friday as well.