Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio river sauger?

When do the sauger in the Ohio river start to bite? I usually fish for them in December, but I have heard they will bite all winter up until Feb. I do not know alot about these fish, but would like to start catching something different.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ohio river sauger?

They've been hitting somewhat for the last couple of weeks. If you live down around Evansville let me know and I can give you some locations to try. I've been catching them when striper fishing when I have to use small Shad or minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

the colder the weather, the better for quality fish (from my experience)

Post Thanks / Like

We've been pickin them up at Mcalpine all summer, mostly on rattletraps. Normally I don't target them untill after Thanksgiving. The wife goes shopping I go saugering..Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

I always fish for them from the bank around the Interperative center, and do fair, kinda reminds me of paylake fishing though. I have a boat, and always wanted to fish the Mcalpine are (about 5 minutes from my house) just have never been out there, and am nervous about what I dont know. Was with my brother in law laying out a job last week at shippingport island, and ran into a couple guys walking down to the sand island area and was told that around the mouth of that inlet is killer for sauger. Looks like a short run from the New Albany ramp.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always caught more and bigger when it's cold too. I really like to fish for them around warmer water discharge where you can see the Shad balled up. Downtown Evansville at the discharge is by far my favorite place.

Post Thanks / Like

ive been targeting sauger in the winter for several years now and i like it better at the falls. from the upper d am all the way down to colgate creek. a few things i have learned are the higher the water the further away from the upper you need to go. also when its cold and water is muddy a minnow tipped on what ever your throwing really makes a huge difference and the sloweer you can present it the better.

i just hope its better this year than last. we have been catching a few already in different spots on the river. it just takes the right amount of water to get them to move on up below the upper d am and in the falls area imo

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like everybody gets them around tailwater areas. Does anybody ever have any luck away from the dams, on the Ohio?

Post Thanks / Like

I do around discharges or intakes. Caught a few here and there fishing for bass but rarely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Panfish Man View Post
    Sounds like everybody gets them around tailwater areas. Does anybody ever have any luck away from the dams, on the Ohio?
    Also the mouth of any creek and any large flat rock areas near islands or channels...Chuck