Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KY Lake Oct 2-4

Post Thanks / Like

KY Lake Oct 2-4

Hey,

Geo went to KY lake this past, weekend.........Caught fish Friday and Saturday......LOTS of shorts, but not too many keepers.

Sunday was tough for us.

ON Friday, we towed a tourney guy on barkley lake from above Fords to the Ramp near Donaldson.....he burned up his motor or something......He marked up a map of some spots he'd been KILLING fish on, and we did too. Caught 89 for the day......

Saturday was FOOLISH GEO day...........We caught fish, but the hilight was helping someone get out of a BAD situation, and then practically getting into the SAME situation.

A small sailboat capsized in front of Duncan, and we were the only boat around. We did all we could, and stayed there, until some others came to render assistance.......My boat was simply not enough to tow him in.....It was tough enough staying there to render help let alone tow him in. Another boat was able to how him, and Dave E. and I ran round his area to pickup all the debris that came out of his boat......We then helped him get his stuff to the shallows, where DAVE and Eddie got out, and pulled his boat to shore with the rope I had.......LONG ROPE

By this time, the wind and waves were REALLY rockin.......the SMART boater would have stayed in smith for it to die down.....the FOOLISH BOATER went back to Sugar.

We made it back but we were REALLY WET, and more than 1 wave came over the side and front........NOT GOOD.

I was REALLY mad at myself because I knew better, but did it anyways. NEVER AGAIN.

Sunday was a tough day for us. I knew we should have caught fish, we found TONS of shad, TONS of activity, but could not put fish in the boat. In 1/2 day we caught 25......NOT bad, but no size.

OH well.....I cannot wait until the next trip.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KY Lake Oct 2-4

I would take 25 in a 1/2 day any time I go.

Sounds like you spent a fair amount of time helping your fellow boaters. Hats off to you for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I would take 25 in a 1/2 day any time I go.

Sounds like you spent a fair amount of time helping your fellow boaters. Hats off to you for that.
    Never have a problem helping out......

I forgot another detail.........5:00am Friday morning, we ran past a accident on the WK parkway.....I called 911 to report, and asked if I needed to turn around and render assistance.........she said police were on route, and there was someone already there rendering assistance, and that I was good.

I would have stopped, but it was kinda tough to.....I was AMAZED at the traffic at 5:00am on the WK......a lot more than I expected.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

There is a reason I cancelled my trip on Friday with lake wind warnings out. Glad you were able to help those folks...remember, it does not pay to take chances on Ky Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished a small club tourney on KY saturday. The wind was pretty bad. I fished Sugar Bay and caught a limit. A small one, but still managed to finish 3rd. There were 3 ft rollers coming into Sugar. I was amazed at the amount of small boats (16ft or less) that wear heading out of the bay right into the waves. The wind was right out of the west and blowing right into the bay. I saw a man, a woman, and about a 9 year old girl heading out of sugar (they put in there) and they headed right out towards the main lake. They were in a 14ft john boat. I was in a 18.6ft Triton and it was more than I wanted on the main lake. I was affraid to look out as to what i might see with small boat. The little girl was the only one with a pfd on.

Post Thanks / Like

Ky Lake is NO JOKE for ANYONE that has never been on the water and thinks we are kidding about the wind. When it gets above 20 out of the NNW or SSE it is almsost impossible to run the main lake on KY and out of the W the bays on the LBL side get HAMMERED with rollers not to mention it is hard to run the main lake. This is the ONLY lake that I fish that I ALWAYS check the weather the night before. The place that I stay at, the lady actually will get up at 5am and print out the latest forecast from the computer centering on whatever spot we tell her we are fishing. She will do North Barkley area to South Ky area, great lady. This lake is NO JOKE in the wind. I was STUPID one time and crossed in about 4 footers from Big Bear to Sugar in the winter at winter pool watching the ledges appear and disappear, appear and disappear as I am trying to keep it in the crossing channel in 48 degree water. Dumbest thing that I ever did in a boat, and YES Dave Stewart chewed me out when I told him about it that night. Anyone coming to the Twins for some great fishing for the first time need to really get a LOT of advise and information on lake levels, forecast with wind conditions and such everyday they are down here. Here is just one phone number that I use to find such information 270-744-6331, which is the national weather center out of Paducah and it is pretty accurate. I also call Dave, get the report from the lady that runs the place that I stay and all because I know how dangerous these 2 lakes, ESPECIALLY KY can be.

Post Thanks / Like

heres your "AT A BOY" I think it is great that we have sportsman on the water that will come to someones help unselfishly. Glad to here a good fishing report, A buddy and I are coming down to barkley, rockcastle bay near prizer point next tuesday and staying 3 or 4 days. I do not know the lake, have been down there early this year and the wind was so bad we hardley got out of rock castle. We managed several fish both days but not the size i was hoping for any tips on barkley? Free place to stay but a long boat ride over to ky lake

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go GEO!

Post Thanks / Like

you havent seen waves till you go fish the great lakes after a few days up there those 4 footers seem like a pleasant chop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mkmsports41 View Post
    I fished a small club tourney on KY saturday. The wind was pretty bad. I fished Sugar Bay and caught a limit. A small one, but still managed to finish 3rd. There were 3 ft rollers coming into Sugar. I was amazed at the amount of small boats (16ft or less) that wear heading out of the bay right into the waves. The wind was right out of the west and blowing right into the bay. I saw a man, a woman, and about a 9 year old girl heading out of sugar (they put in there) and they headed right out towards the main lake. They were in a 14ft john boat. I was in a 18.6ft Triton and it was more than I wanted on the main lake. I was affraid to look out as to what i might see with small boat. The little girl was the only one with a pfd on.
    Yea.........I SAW the same thing...........I think you may have been the boat on the opposite side I was on.........I fish a 19ft Tracker.

I also saw that group in the john boat, and it really HONKED me off. SMALL kid, and two adults, and NO ONE with a life jacket.

This was after I got back from my foolishness in Duncan....and It was really getting UGLY.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Geo, I was in a white Triton fishing Right infront of the Sugar Bay Ramp around 11. I do remember seeing the tracker. That was the only place out of the wind I could find. Atleast I was able to pick up a few straglers there. If you see me again say Hello, I will do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

well...at least you got that out of your system ahead of time...lol. i want no part of those waves really...