Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question about youth firearms

Do they make youth type deer rifles with shorter stocks for kids? My son wants to hunt so bad,but I only own regular size rifles and shotguns,although he is average or bigger than some kids his age 9 (at least at his school) his arms aren't long enough to correctly aim any of my guns.I took him out this past weekend for the youth hunt,thinking I would help him aim and let him shoot,but we had to pass on several deer because it just wasn't working. I feel bad for the little guy as he was pretty disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about youth firearms

Yes they do. My son has a Rossi Triple Threat. It is a youth model break action single shot that comes with three barrels. A .243, a 20ga. and a .22. It takes about 30 aseconds to change the barrels over and they are very accurate. The .243 and.22 are both tapped for scopes and it incudes one set of scope mounts. My son has since outgrew his, but I am hanging on to it since I will be having my first grandchild in March.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Yes they do. My son has a Rossi Triple Threat. It is a youth model break action single shot that comes with three barrels. A .243, a 20ga. and a .22. It takes about 30 aseconds to change the barrels over and they are very accurate. The .243 and.22 are both tapped for scopes and it incudes one set of scope mounts. My son has since outgrew his, but I am hanging on to it since I will be having my first grandchild in March.
    I'll look them up,if you're still around Tim,what do you think it would run these days for a set up like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    I'll look them up,if you're still around Tim,what do you think it would run these days for a set up like that?
    Dunham's has I think the gun that Tim is speaking of on sale for $229.99

Post Thanks / Like

You could also go with a rem model seven in a .243 or a 7mm/08 and he will have it forever.As a side note, I read an article that stated that youth equate the jolt of the gun with the loudness of the weapon. Get then used to a .22 and then when "that" shot comes they won't dread the jolt. Most say when shooting at a deer they never feel the gun. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    Do they make youth type deer rifles with shorter stocks for kids? My son wants to hunt so bad,but I only own regular size rifles and shotguns,although he is average or bigger than some kids his age 9 (at least at his school) his arms aren't long enough to correctly aim any of my guns.I took him out this past weekend for the youth hunt,thinking I would help him aim and let him shoot,but we had to pass on several deer because it just wasn't working. I feel bad for the little guy as he was pretty disappointed.

i got my boy the rossi last year for around 189 at dicks sporting goods in lexington off manowar it was on sale but at 229 u still can go worng 3 guns would cost more than that i even took it out last year and the 243 does a good number on a deer he has not shot the 20 yet an neither have i but was told to let him become a small man first before he tries it because it kicks like a mule

Post Thanks / Like

marlin 3030 that was my first deer rifle and they are shorter than most rifles but he can still use it when he gets older....

Post Thanks / Like

whatever you go with, it would also help to get the sims recoil pad. it will kill alot of the felt recoil and your son might be more at ease when shooting. my oldest boy was nine also and he had the new england .243, im not recommending it cause i wasnt completely happy with it, but he did kill his first two deer with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll go with the Rossi Triple Threat,it's not that expensive although they must have went up,cheapest I've found in Northern Ky was $269 at Dicks in Florence,$275 at Drydens in Cynthiana which I spend more than $6 in gas to Florence.
    I might check Lexington area as I'm only 45 miles from there.
    I like the idea of having a .243,.22,and .20 guage for him as that covers about everything for a starter.definately check out the recoil and make adjustments,that was a big concern to start with.
    Thanks for all the help fellows,
    Glenn P.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont waste any money. Buy a cheap kevlar stock for the gun you have and cut it off in 1/2 inch or 3/4 sections until you get the right fit. Then add them back with glue and screws as he grows. Also get a slipon shotgun recoil pad and that will help also. Get 2 tobacco sticks and drive a nail where they cross at the desired height, lay his gun on them and have him pull back, makes a steady rest if on the ground.