Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wisconsin Fishing?

Sometime next Spring, probably in May or June, I may be making a trip to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I have heard that Wisconsin has some great fishing but I don't know what kind of fish there is, nor what lakes may be good for fishing. For that matter, the only Wisconsin like I have ever heard of was Winnebago but I have no idea what kind of fish are there.

Does anyone have and experience or recommendations for places to fish in Wisconsin? Since I may have to visit there, I thought I would try some new places to fish.

Thanks in advance,

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wisconsin Fishing?

I hear if you hit it just right, 10 pound blocks of cheddar are not uncommon!

I have a friend that fishes all over wisconsin - he primarily focuses on walleye, but other than that I don't know what lakes he frequents.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I had already planned on getting some cheese. If you talk to your friend anytime in the next few months, ask him if he can recommend some good Bass lakes, preferably in the Eastern side of the state.

Thanks,

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished in Wisconsin in late September for salmon and lake trout in the Root river. We caught a lot of big fish, salmon and trout using fly rods and wading the root river, brought back 3 - 100 qt coolers full of fish. Great fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, but I should have said that I am trying to see if it is worht taking my boat and trying for Bass, Pike, or Walleyes but I do not want to go into the Great Lakes. I an only looking for In-land Lakes or good size rivers where I can launch a boat.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Have fished all over the state. What size boat are you going to use? There are probably 20 lakes within 25 miles of millwauke. Go the wisc page, and find fishing in SE wisc. I fished mostly north of there. Many of the smaller lakes have bass and nortern pike.

Post Thanks / Like

Grumpy, I have fished the Mississippi River around Lacrosse and it is very good for both largemouth and smallmouth bass, we also hung a few pike and walleye. It is gorgeous on the river there and looks nothing like the Mississippi down this way. If it is not to far a drive I would highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

TimT, thanks for the recommendations, I'll think about the Might Miss.

Kygorski, I have a 17.5' G-3 Aluminum Bass boat witha 40HP. What do you mean by wisc.page? And thank to you too.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    It is gorgeous on the river there and looks nothing like the Mississippi down this way. If it is not to far a drive I would highly recommend it.
    I have never fished it, but I came home from Canada that way about 5 years ago. It is does look awesome. I have never had a desire to fish the Mississippi before, but I wouldn't mind putting my boat in at LaCrosse.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished the big river a lot. In fact one of the nicest trips we took was to the lake where that river starts, I jumped across it, with room to spare. From onalska, to debuque iowa its a lot of fishing to be had. And fall and early winter were always prime times for sauger and walleye.