Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Dale Hollow Lake Familiarization

Dale Hollow Lake Familiarization
    Retired on Lake Cumberland earlier this year and enjoy fishing there. This location also puts me about an hour plus from Dale Hollow and I want to get started chasing those Dale Hollow Smallmouth I hear so much about. I'm not familiar with DH at all and need to get some basic information on lake structure. Currenty, I have a Novionics (chip) map in my GPS unit and a "Fishing HotSpots" map. I also plan to purchase an "Atlantic" map, which I understand is superior to HotSpots. However, to the best of my understanding, none of these identify the locations of the "grass beds", which I am very intersted in locating. So, my question is "can anyone recommend or steer me toward a source for such informaition, i.e., maps, books, articles? Any and all information will be appreciated.

As I will be coming in from the Jamestown, KY area, I suspect most of my fishing will be in the Northeast area of the lake; Illwill -Sulphur Creek, Wolf and Obey river areas. At least, those are the areas of interest at this time.

Good Fishing To All,
    Boone
    Last edited by FlyLie; 10-18-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dale Hollow Lake Familiarization

Boone, I haven't fished Dale Hollow before, but I am in your shoes. I am going to fish there next May, and have done a lot of research on the Lake. I hear that if you want to find weeds, look for red shale or black shale banks. Supposedly, those are the best areas for submerged vegetation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
    Boone, I haven't fished Dale Hollow before, but I am in your shoes. I am going to fish there next May, and have done a lot of research on the Lake. I hear that if you want to find weeds, look for red shale or black shale banks. Supposedly, those are the best areas for submerged vegetation.
    What is it about these areas that makes them have weeds?

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience, look for the points that have muscle shells on them, they will be white looking. Those points always have grass on them and "ol browns too"!

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on when you are fishing Dale Hollow. Late March to early April, hit the points. Especially if the wind is blowing across them. Grass is around most islands and long points. Alot of grass at first island a goat island. If it stays cold, look at the black shale and if it warms up and the water is 55 degrees plus, find the pea gravel points. There are alot of long point around the Star Point area. South East side of the lake. Use light line, 6#test. good luck.

onemorecast56 Guest

Hey Boone? I few of us are going to be down at Dale from the 7th - 11th,,why not come down to Hendricks Creek and I`ll or we`ll show you some of the places we catching,,,we fish alittle different them most people and just KILL the smallies. But would love to meet you since I see you on here all the time and you could put a few ugly faces to names...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast56 View Post
    Hey Boone? I few of us are going to be down at Dale from the 7th - 11th,,why not come down to Hendricks Creek and I`ll or we`ll show you some of the places we catching,,,we fish alittle different them most people and just KILL the smallies. But would love to meet you since I see you on here all the time and you could put a few ugly faces to names...LOL
    Doug, thanks for the invite, but not sure I can make it this time. Leaving Monday for Lake Barkley. Plan on spending the week chasing those green fish, and maybe fill in any slack time looking for crappie.

Have a GREAT time down at the Hollow and good fishing to your group .

Post Thanks / Like

did you gert my pm?