Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever flown in a small airplane?

My mother's side of the family had a reunion Saturday and everyone donates things for a silent auction to pay for the hall they rent for the get together.One of my mom's cousins is married to a guy who is a pilot and flies his personal aircraft out of the tiny Pendleton county airport (or should I say landing strip).
    My son bid on and won an hour long sight seeing flight over the area donated by our cousin's husband and we are both going this afternoon.I've been on many commercial flights,used to fly in helicopters to offshore oil platforms where I worked when I was younger,but have never flown in a smaller airplane like this.We are both excited and I'm anxious to take aerial photo's of my farm and around Pendleton and Harrison counties,but at the same time a little leary because of all the crashes you hear about in these smaller planes.Anyway i think we'll have a great time,anybody ever wants to visit the area I think he's pretty easily persuaded to take these trips as he loves to fly.
    Glenn P.

Forgot to add the trees are nearly in full fall color here so should look nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have you ever flown in a small airplane?

I have flown on small commuter planes that hold 20? or less and I didn't like it at all. I believe it was called Rio Airways and we called it Rio Scareways. No thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Well,we survived the trip,we had a good time with plenty of pictures and I took the camcorder.My 9 year old (10 in a week) got to fly it in air for a bit and was thrilled. I don't know what elevation we were,but I could see deer and deer stands here and there,got some good aerials of my farm,of Meldahl Lock and dam,of Kincaid,The Licking river,and several other landmarks.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really happy to hear that you and your son had a great time up in the plane. I love all planes and aircraft. Maybe cuz my father was a airplane technican who also had his pilots licence. In my 20's a co-worker owned his own Cessna 4 seater plane and took me up to see if I had the stomach needed to fly those planes. It was great fun and he let me steer it for awhile while he ran the controls with his feet. It was great fun. I never purused getting my licence as planes even small ones are so freaking expensive to own. No better feeling than flying high up there in the sky with the birds with only Heaven above you.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad your flight was a safe one. It's been awhile since I have flown commercial, now days I mostly fly in a private jet owned by the company I work for...(believe me, it's not as glamorous as it sounds). This jet holds seven passengers plus two pilots. Personally for me, flyin' ain't natural and I don't care much for it. I know I've got it made by flyin' private, we can carry our own alcohol on board or whatever, there's no security check points and everyone on board knows everyone else, but I still don't care much for it. But it sure does get us there in a hurry!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Greats pictures and thanks for sharing them with us. From the big smile on your boys face this will be something he will remember for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yea and one private owned company jet once that seated about 10 or 12 or so. I DID NOT LIKE IT, lol.

I fly out of necessity sometimes but I do not enjoy it at all. Hell you can spin me around three times and I get Queasy, lol. I eat Dramamine (spelling) like Tums when I fly, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool pics Glenn and a beutiful day for a change to enjoy it to.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I have flown on small commuter planes that hold 20? or less and I didn't like it at all. I believe it was called Rio Airways and we called it Rio Scareways. No thanks...
    Second that, used to fly Rio from Killeen to Dallas alot. And I use the term "fly" loosely. Flew with them once from Killeen to Corpus Christi. Due to high order storms, the pilot was staying below the highest winds and major storm clouds. I was starting to think we were so low the pilot would considers stopping for trafic lights.

I always called them "RIO Die-ways".

Want to try something more fun than RIO? Fly with a couple Canadians in a Canadian CH135 Twin Huey down the Sinai Pennisula, skirting the Israeli border, in a sand storm that caps altitude to less than 2000 feet, and in 70-80 mph head winds and down bursts. Then to make things even more fun, let both engines start to die due to sand ingestion and experience the thrill as the pilots auto-rotate into a section of real barren dessert. Once it set down, I was just about to start breathing again, looked at my map to figure out where we were, and recognized we had landed in one of the major routes of advance the Israelites had used in the Yom Kippur War: Read that as major really old mine field. We sat there for about 12 hours till an EOD team could clear a path and the chopper could be winched onto the back of a low boy. When we got back to North Camp, walking out from the airfield, I asked the Canadian Pilots if they had to go to a debrief or be interviewed for an air incident investigation. The crew chief looked at me and smiled, then said "We're breathing and the chopper is back here getting fixed, investigation completed, we're going for a brew". I just went back to the hooch and changed my underwear.
    Last edited by HURRICANEBOB; 10-23-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Way back when I used to work on the racetrack, I flew with racehorses a few times. The first time was from Miami to Hot Springs, AK, on a four-engine prop plane, and we hit a bunch of turbulence leaving Miami. There was this one filly (Betty Money was her name) that just couldn't deal with it too well. Whenever the plane would drop suddenly, she'd act like she was going to lay down, which would NOT be good considering she was in a stall only a few inches wider than she was. Once we landed (in a grassy field, no paved runway), they pushed the ramp up to the plane to walk the horses down, but the ramp was a few feet narrower than the opening on the side of the plane, so they laid a piece of plywood up to cover the open space. Well of course when we were unloading Rock Steady (you might remember him; he was entered in the Derby but scratched), he got to backing up and smacked right into that plywood, which fortunately scared him and he stopped, or he would have gone right through it and dropped 20 feet or so to the ground. I flew with horses a few more times after that, but that little prop plane was by far the hairiest ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Want to try something more fun than RIO? Fly with a couple Canadians in a Canadian CH135 Twin Huey down the Sinai Pennisula, skirting the Israeli border, in a sand storm that caps altitude to less than 2000 feet, and in 70-80 mph head winds and down bursts. Then to make things even more fun, let both engines start to die due to sand ingestion and experience the thrill as the pilots auto-rotate into a section of real barren dessert. Once it set down, I was just about to start breathing again, looked at my map to figure out where we were, and recognized we had landed in one of the major routes of advance the Israelites had used in the Yom Kippur War: Read that as major really old mine field. We sat there for about 12 hours till an EOD team could clear a path and the chopper could be winched onto the back of a low boy. When we got back to North Camp, walking out from the airfield, I asked the Canadian Pilots if they had to go to a debrief or be interviewed for an air incident investigation. The crew chief looked at me and smiled, then said "We're breathing and the chopper is back here getting fixed, investigation completed, we're going for a brew". I just went back to the hooch and changed my underwear.
    Alright Bob, now we are talking fun! Those Canadians pilots know how to handle stress. Thats why they call us those Crazy Canucks!