Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

pouring plastics for a newb

well out of nowhere the idea popped in the very limited space in my head. so i started fooling around and found the aluminum molds which seem to be easiest. i found the plastic and hardeners, glitter, scents, and dyes. so i want to start pouring brush hog-like, paddle tail worms, 10+inch worms, and chunks for jig trailers. basically the pretty standard stuff. the idea behind all this is to play around with different colors, scents etc. so, i've got two questions.

first, i've watched a few videos, and read up on this topic, is it really this easy? it basically looks like pouring liquid into a mold and letting it cool. i understand that getting the mixture right is going to take some practice. but it overall looks like a science experiment. is it tougher than it looks?

second, i have only found one mold for the brush hog-like baits and its $80+. now im not doing this to save money per se, but is there anything cheaper?

any info or insight would be greatly appreciated. basically take me to school on what i need and ballpark pricing if you can, im eager to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pouring plastics for a newb

I don't pour plastic just lead stuff. But go to either www.bassboatcentral.com or www.tackleunderground.com and go to the tackle making sections and there are some guys there can help you with all your questions.

There are guys that can give you tips on how to make your own molds. good luck let me know how they turn out. Ryan.

Post Thanks / Like

delmart molds are the best quality i have seen and yea its not that hard to pour them just time consuming. you will probally get burnt a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to crappie.com ... they have a a lot of info on pouring and mold making..

Post Thanks / Like

I read in a book that you can make a mold out of plaster.

Simply mix the plaster, set you favorite worm in it, and then remove it once it hardens. Then, if you want to modify it some, just take a little chisel and chip away at the mold until you get it where you want it.

I haven't tried it, but will once it gets warm enough to mess around in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this post is a little old, but if you're still looking for some info I will shed some light, and maybe someone else who is interested will find this helpful.

You are entering into a very fun and addicting world. I wouldn't quite desribe pouring plastics as 'easy' but it's definately not rocket science.

For what you have mentioned, you won't need hardner or much plastic additives. For a basic set-up and to create baits for personal use you will NEED the following:

Plastic Supplies:
    Medium plastic
    Colors
    Salt
    Glitter (optional)
    Scent (optional)
    Pyrex cup
    Microwave
    No hardner or anything is needed for the standard baits you listed. Medium plastic with some salt will give you a great consistency.

Now for molds.. Aluminum molds are extremely expensive. If you have your heart set on them, I would recommend one-piece molds if you are on a budget. They are half the price, and will be flat on one side, but will be fine for personal use. They take a little more skill to pour, but nothing you can't get the hang of.

Definately have to have a work shop. There you will need a microwave, large working table, etc. Also, keep in mind that ventilation is also something that is needed.

Once you start pouring you will get the hang of the temps and consistency the plastic needs to be when it's ready to pour. If you don't add any colorant or anything until plastic is hot, the plastic will turn totally clear, and fine bubbles at the top when it is ready. Then you can add your colors, salt, and glitter.

Now the fun part... Experiment! Try new colors, swirls, and two colored worms.

Good luck on everyones quest. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help someone along.

www.sweetwaterbaits.com