Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna break and do it!

I'm gonna bust out the wallet and go ahead and get a Loomis GLX. I've already decided on the rod....but what reel should a pair it with?...A good fisherman and friend told me to roll with the Revo Premier...I'm partial to shimano and I like the looks of the New Chronarch but I havent felt it, and the Core 50 Mg looks nice too...I just can't make up my mind....any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gonna break and do it!

I have 4 revo's but still prefer the Shimano Curado's. I don't have any of the newest models but I'm going back to Shimano.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest going to a store that has most of the reels you might be looking at and possibly even the rod or one similar and just test them out together. See which one feels better to you. The new models of all these reels are impressive. So you should just go in and pick the one that blows you away. When they are all $260+ you should be blown away by one of them, imo, and go with it.

You can ask 5 different people and you may get 5 different answers. But you just have to get the one for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah AJ you're right..thats really the only way I'm gonna know is to go somewhere and hold e'm and put em on the rod and see what it feels like....

Post Thanks / Like

If you're wanting to spend a little money....

I just sold all of my Chronarch 100SFs and bought all new Calais models. They are the smoothest reels I have ever held in my hands! Hands down, the best reels I have ever purchased. I even bought one of the DC models -- it is absolutely THE BEST reel out there. Nothing can touch it!

I know they are pricey, but the Calais are worth the investment. The 6 that I purchased will be the last reels I ever buy, unless I buy a spinning reel here and there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah My dad has a calais and he loves it...my range for a reel is $300 and the calais is only 60 bucks more so i mean for that good of a reel it may be worht the extra 60..I'll have to feel them on the rod though....

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my curado's - they pair up with any rod. I have used a calais, and it was very, very nice - but IMO not worth the price difference of the curado. I really like the core's too, but same thing - not worth the price difference in the curado's (new and old). My all time favorite reel is the chronarch's. If you can track down one of the recently discontinued chronarch 50 mg's - they are about as good as you can get. You can probably find them in an online outlet at a good discount, if they haven't been gobbled all up. Any way you look at it, IMO nothing compares to a shimano reel - reliable, durable, and easily serviced.

By the way - I have made out with my GLX several times - thats how much I like it.
    Last edited by Col Forbin; 10-23-2009 at 09:54 PM.