Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

felt sole waders vs rubber lug sole waders

guys/gals are the felt sole waders any better for grip on the slippery rocks and other stuff that can cause you to bust your butt and get a little wet,, LOL

right now i have just the regular rubber sole waders and i find myself sliding around alot. are the felt ones any better ??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: felt sole waders vs rubber lug sole waders

I'm not gonna lie...In my experiences in wading felt soled boots/waders are 10 times above and beyond typical rubber soled waders even the ones with rubber cleat like studs on them. The felt has amazing grip WHEN WET, if they are dry on grass or something as your gettin into the water they are SLICK! and you can bust your butt out of the water!..but once you get in and get the felt wet they are like super glue very very good grip!...for me its no question I use felt soles now and always.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    I'm not gonna lie...In my experiences in wading felt soled boots/waders are 10 times above and beyond typical rubber soled waders even the ones with rubber cleat like studs on them. The felt has amazing grip WHEN WET, if they are dry on grass or something as your gettin into the water they are SLICK! and you can bust your butt out of the water!..but once you get in and get the felt wet they are like super glue very very good grip!...for me its no question I use felt soles now and always.
    Agree 100%. Bought my first pair of felt boots last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Felt is by far the way to go. It doesn't mean you cannot fall in them, but it sure lowers the odds.

Post Thanks / Like

As said above, felt rules in the water but they can be treacherous getting in or out in the mud! Just remember to use your heels getting in and out of the creek if there is any mud around.

Post Thanks / Like

The above posts are right on, Felt sole is the only way to go for wading on slick rocks. I have even put a felt replacement kit onto my old lug soles, when I use that pair.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest neoprene-sock waders, with a felt-soled wading boot. Simms products are top-notch. Many felt wading boots come with cleats (some are just philips-head screws) that can be inserted into the felt sole. Best of both worlds if your fishing near, on, or in ice.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used felt sole wading boots over stocking foot waders for the past several years. Although I've come close, I've not had the first fall in the drink since I've gone to felt.

Also, if you're in the market, check out the wading boots at www.sierratradingpost.com. They runs some great deals on waders and boots from time to time. I've seen $150 Simms boots on this site for half the price before.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info on the felt. looks like i will be buying a pair of them in the next weekor so. may even try the replacement kit for my rubber sole until i get enough extra to buy a pair. i have had my spill in the water and dont want to do it again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASSKING View Post
    thanks for the info on the felt. looks like i will be buying a pair of them in the next weekor so. may even try the replacement kit for my rubber sole until i get enough extra to buy a pair. i have had my spill in the water and dont want to do it again
    Good decision. They can prevent alot of slips. The have some you can put some metal studs in too if you are fishing extremely mossy rocks - never used those. Of course my favorite are felt soled wading shoes. I got a pair from orvis - but I was mainly using them in warm weather or shallower water where I didn't want to wear waders. I used to wade the elkhorn several times a week in these, during he summer and a pair of swim trunks. I was fly fishing, and would only use a chest pack. When I got to the deeper areas I would hold the chest pack and rod up with one hand and past the deeper areas until I was in shallower water again - quite the adventure, but I knew those areas extremely well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASSKING View Post
    guys/gals are the felt sole waders any better for grip on the slippery rocks and other stuff that can cause you to bust your butt and get a little wet,, LOL

right now i have just the regular rubber sole waders and i find myself sliding around alot. are the felt ones any better ??

Felt w/studs...never slip again.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

when you guys are talking about studs what exactly do you mean by that ??

are they made like that or is it something you have to do yourself