Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

What's your thoughts on this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_god_button_home_depot

Fla. man says Home Depot fired him over God button

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer Brian Skoloff, Associated Press Writer – Wed Oct 28, 8:35 am ET
    WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – A former cashier for The Home Depot who has been wearing a "One nation under God" button on his work apron for more than a year has been fired, he says because of the religious reference. The company claims that expressing such personal beliefs is simply not allowed.

"I've worn it for well over a year and I support my country and God," Trevor Keezor said Tuesday. "I was just doing what I think every American should do, just love my country."

The American flag button Keezer wore in the Florida store since March 2008 says "One nation under God, indivisible."

Earlier this month, he began bringing a Bible to read during his lunch break at the store in the rural town of Okeechobee, about 140 miles north of Miami. That's when he says The Home Depot management told him he would have to remove the button.

Keezer refused, and he was fired on Oct. 23, he said.

"It feels kind of like a punishment, like I was punished for just loving my country," Keezer said.

A Home Depot spokesman said Keezer was fired because he violated the company's dress code.

"This associate chose to wear a button that expressed his religious beliefs. The issue is not whether or not we agree with the message on the button," Craig Fishel said. "That's not our place to say, which is exactly why we have a blanket policy, which is long-standing and well-communicated to our associates, that only company-provided pins and badges can be worn on our aprons."

Fishel said Keezer was offered a company-approved pin that said, "United We Stand," but he declined.

Keezer's lawyer, Kara Skorupa, said she planned to sue the Atlanta-based company.

"There are federal and state laws that protect against religious discrimination," Skorupa said. "It's not like he was out in the aisles preaching to people."

Keezer said he was working at the store to earn money for college, and wore the button to support his country and his 27-year-old brother, who is in the National Guard and is set to report in December for a second tour of duty in Iraq.

Skorupa noted the slogan on Keezer's pin is straight from the Pledge of Allegiance.

"These mottos and sayings that involve God, that's part of our country and historical fabric," Skorupa said. "In God we trust is on our money."

Michael Masinter, a civil rights and employment law professor at NOVA Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, said any lawsuit over religious discrimination might be a tough one to win.

"Because it's a private business, not one that's owned and operated by the government, it doesn't have to operate under the free speech provisions of the First Amendment," Masinter said.

"But we're not talking about religious displays here," he said. "This sounds more like a political message ... Wearing a button of that sort would not easily be described as a traditional form of religious expression like wearing a cross or wearing a yarmulke."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's your thoughts on this

As much as I'd like to support the guy, when you work for someone you play by their rules.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is very sad indeed. I think your days of freedom of speech are numbered as America gets more and more politically correct. If they didnt have a problem with the button for a year why demand he take it off now? Why indeed. Because he brought a Bible to work to read during his lunch breaks. Now his lunch break is his time where he is not working and most likely not being paid. Whether it be 30mins or 60mins if he is not paid then he can read the Bible. It must have offended some other employee who complained. I am sure if this person were Jewish or Muslim then there would be a big lawsuit blah blah blah and the store would have backed down. I am assuming he is Christian. Again, very sad.

Post Thanks / Like

I back the kid 100 per cent. If that button can get you fired, then company policy is just plain wrong. We have a Home Depot here in town, and I'll not be shopping there. (In truth I didn't like it anyway, so this boycott'll be easy.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gills View Post
    I think it is very sad indeed. I think your days of freedom of speech are numbered as America gets more and more politically correct. If they didnt have a problem with the button for a year why demand he take it off now? Why indeed. Because he brought a Bible to work to read during his lunch breaks. Now his lunch break is his time where he is not working and most likely not being paid. Whether it be 30mins or 60mins if he is not paid then he can read the Bible. It must have offended some other employee who complained. I am sure if this person were Jewish or Muslim then there would be a big lawsuit blah blah blah and the store would have backed down. I am assuming he is Christian. Again, very sad.
    Exactly,it seems as if equality and freedom only pertain to those who would destroy our country instead of those who worked to build it.
    There are several big companies in Northern Ky that allow Muslims time to face whereever they face and pray to whomever they pray to,but donot afford the same respect to Christians.You can fly a Mexican Flag,but you cannot say THe United States Pledge Of Allegiance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    As much as I'd like to support the guy, when you work for someone you play by their rules.
    Sad but true. I stopped shopping at Home Depot along time ago anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Sad but true. I stopped shopping at Home Depot along time ago anyway.
    It is Home Depot's RIGHT to fire ANYONE for ANY REASON........

All the political correctness ********, and EVERYTHING else that legislates when and why and WHO a company can hire or FIRE is completely WRONG.

Flip it around for a second.........

A Christian company finds out that their sales person is GAY.........and the company is losing business because of it......so they FIRE the GAY person.

Current LAW says that is illegal.......but in this case the FIRED person was causing the business to lose money..............current law says it DOESN'T matter.........

THIS was in the news here locally a few years ago..........said company ended up GOING OUT OF BUSINESS due to this political correct ********.

Another Example............this happened at a place I worked at in Des Moines............A small consulting firm.......

Said Consulting firm was SUED and eventually went belly up due to an American with Disabilities Lawsuit. Basically the company interviewed a man in a wheel chair......He didn't get the job..........HE SUED because they did not have facilities for wheelchair bound employees.

AT the time, there WERE no wheelchair bound employees. He was NOT qualified, and would NEVER had been hired........I know, I interviewed him......

That didn't matter.......eventually the firm spent over 100k on legal expenses, and had to close the doors.......25 people, include me, lost their jobs.

Government has NO PLACE in this..............A privately held company should be able to hire and FIRE for any REASON.........PERIOD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Horse View Post
    I back the kid 100 per cent. If that button can get you fired, then company policy is just plain wrong. We have a Home Depot here in town, and I'll not be shopping there. (In truth I didn't like it anyway, so this boycott'll be easy.)
    I agree, in fact I switched to Lowes a long time ago. Lowes has it all over HD with service people and their prices tend to be slightly less on most things.

Boys you can call me a looney if you want but I've been predicting this for several years now. The God fearing people of this country have just about had it with this anti Christian liberal push being put on by these liberal idiots. Once it reaches ridiculous heights and it's getting close there is gonna be some trouble you just watch and see. Did you see where they are up in arms over the Penn State students making t-shirts that resemble a Cross. It's a dang joke.

God Almighty made this world and everything in it and he can Dang sure take it out, that's just how I feel about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do agree you must abide by company rules and adhere to them or reep the consequences, that's just the way it is. My point in the other is this loss of freedom to worship anywhere one chooses just plain sicken's me litterally. When I see someone openly praying I find it up lifting and it makes me feel good, why should this bother anyone. I don't go around slapping nose rings out of some of these stupid looking morons that wait on me at fast food place do I as bad as I want to sometime. I'm done sorry for the rant, but this junk hits home with me.
    Last edited by mhall; 10-29-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    It is Home Depot's RIGHT to fire ANYONE for ANY REASON........

All the political correctness ********, and EVERYTHING else that legislates when and why and WHO a company can hire or FIRE is completely WRONG.

Flip it around for a second.........

A Christian company finds out that their sales person is GAY.........and the company is losing business because of it......so they FIRE the GAY person.

Current LAW says that is illegal.......but in this case the FIRED person was causing the business to lose money..............current law says it DOESN'T matter.........

THIS was in the news here locally a few years ago..........said company ended up GOING OUT OF BUSINESS due to this political correct ********.

Another Example............this happened at a place I worked at in Des Moines............A small consulting firm.......

Said Consulting firm was SUED and eventually went belly up due to an American with Disabilities Lawsuit. Basically the company interviewed a man in a wheel chair......He didn't get the job..........HE SUED because they did not have facilities for wheelchair bound employees.

AT the time, there WERE no wheelchair bound employees. He was NOT qualified, and would NEVER had been hired........I know, I interviewed him......

That didn't matter.......eventually the firm spent over 100k on legal expenses, and had to close the doors.......25 people, include me, lost their jobs.

Government has NO PLACE in this..............A privately held company should be able to hire and FIRE for any REASON.........PERIOD.
    Thats the beauty of it....if the company supports things you don't agree with you can decide not to spend your money there.
    ADA scares alot of business people and local Authorities. It's a buzz word like racism and once it's used people get scared.
    Sounds like you needed an Attorney with a disability on your side. You gotta fight fire with fire.
    Last edited by DJD; 10-29-2009 at 08:18 AM.