Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

ground blind during the rut

Just wondering if any of you guys ever had sucess hunting the rut from the ground. Ive always hunted tree stands.Glassing last weekend i saw nice buck walk by a fixed stand on the farm i hunt and he looked right up at it.Thought the groung blind might be good change of pace.Thanks for any advice Nitro-7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ground blind during the rut

Should be OK if with a gun, esp if you brush it in a little.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a turkey bind I use in spring I usually brush it pretty well never used for deer what about this "black hole effect" from shooting windows need to put something ove them.thanks fishincreek

Post Thanks / Like

I have used ground blinds for a number of years and killed some really nice deer out of them plus a bunch of does. I had a doe this year come up and actually look in the window at me. Several items. Go to Bass Pro and get inside one and make sure it fits you for your purpose. Once you buy it, take it home and practice setting it up, taking it down, etc. Then, once you are familiar with it, let it set in your backyard for a few days and "de-scent". The dyes and stuff are pretty strong right out of the bag. I hosed and washed mine with a scent free soap and let it lay in a pile of pine cones and cedar branches for a week. Set it up where you want it, but try to get a good backdrop, trees, brush, etc, to break up the outline. Stake it down, get inside and look at every shooting lane, and then trim those lanes for a clear shot. Remove all dried up leaves from the floor, put a comfortable but quiet chair in it, little hooks for lights, etc. The big key is to not have any windows open behind you or too many on the sides. When you open the front, all you see is a big black hole, unless there is too much light coming in and they will nail you every time. Brush it up really well, get in early and get setup, and you will do fine. I have 6 of them setup right now on an 800 acre farm, all the same type which makes it handier for setups, etc, and use various ones depending on the wind direction that day. As I get older, falling out of a tree stand will take much longer to heal. I still use treestands, safety vests, etc, and each have their own strengths and weaknesses. They sure are nice on a windy or rainy day! Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I have killed over 15 deer and all from the ground. I use whatever cover there is to make a natural blind. Good luck and be safe this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely............. Ground hunting with a modern firearm or Smokepole is just as good as a tree stand if you do it right.
    Assure yourself a good field of view that you feel confident in that deer will use. Such as travel paths, Ag fields they may be feeding in, ect.
    Try to place them wit something behind you in other words a background if you will, so you don't get skylined and stick out.
    Brush them in some like Creek said.
    And last and this is by far the number one thing to remember, factor in and play the wind direction. In order to be successful in deer hunting and especially on Big Bucks you have to BEAT THEIR NOSE.
    Good luck and be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

ground blinds work great for bow so i would imagine would be even better with a gun