Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stripers in the jumps

Has anyone tried those new flitterbait-2s from Smack? They look killer, just curious.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have been catching quite a few fish on them, including a 24 lber on that little bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought they looked pretty good. Great immitation of what they are feeding on, good size too. I might pick some of them up before the trip next week.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you mean Halcombs, Kendall is in the river???????????????????

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Don't you mean Halcombs, Kendall is in the river???????????????????
    Yep.....you're right....my bad.....senior moment.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy and I just got back from Lake Cumberland. We saw jumps in the back of three different creeks. Those were the only creeks we went in so I assume that the same pattern is working everywhere. I was trying a new topwater bait and caught 2 smallies and a spotted bass and had a big striper blow up on it but didn't get hooks. My buddy stuck with the Flitterbait and caught 2 stipers, 2 white bass and a rock bass. That one white bass was a real chunk. I haven't seen any white bass caught in that lake for 15 yrs. We threw some Gizz 3's and caught largemouths and and couple nice stripers. I got my biggest striper right around dark casting the bank with a Gizz 4 shallow diver. It was between 12 and 13 lb on the boga grip. My eyes aren't what they used to be so I'm not real sure where the mark was. It was over 12 though.

One thing that alot of people might not understand about jumps fishing is that there are different kinds. The kind I like to see is where they are busting so hard that water is thrown in the air. These are very aggressive fish and will not hesitate to hit a flitterbait or Gizz 3. The kind I don't like to see are the ones where they are boiling. We had stripers rushing through schools of tiny shad and all they were trying to do was stun a few as they went through. These guys aren't looking for one shad but an entire school. The only way to get their attention is to throw right on top of a boil and twitch the bait. I think they think it is a stuned shad and will come back and hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn. I was going to bass pro anyway. I agree with you about the spook 100%. Out of ten different fish slapping the spook--only one hook up. the baitfish is about 2.5 inches so I would use a lure that size that resembles a threadfin in some way.

Post Thanks / Like

Last Saturday we caught a undersized striper in that small cove before Indian falls about noon.
    I guy up there that had been casting said he caught one about 9 and they were some jumps in there early.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Darn. I was going to bass pro anyway. I agree with you about the spook 100%. Out of ten different fish slapping the spook--only one hook up. the baitfish is about 2.5 inches so I would use a lure that size that resembles a threadfin in some way.
    I used to have the same problem with a spook, but no more. Before I did big twitches, with short pauses, and got a lot of slaps and no hook ups. Now, I give it 6-7 fast short twitches, a very short pause and 6-7 more short fast twitches. Lately, I have had very few fish hit it that did not hook up, and if not on the first hits, they seemed to chase it more agressively and hit and hooked up the second time on the same retrieve.

May not apply, may help, but it worked for me. I think the best chance for a hook up is when the line is taut from a fast twitch and the fish hits it. If they hit it at the pause and don't get a hook right off, if the bait is not moving there's less possibility of getting the "accidental hookup". And I think if the bait goes too slow, they come up half hearted to tap it and see what it is, but when moving faster they just get that feeling its getting away, what ever it is and chase and hit.