Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barkley Report 11/08 - 11/10

Got back from Barkley last night, my dad, uncle, and I fished North Barkley on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Lots of largemouth in backs of bays, but we were unable to find keepers in the bays. With only 2 keepers of Sunday (several shorts), we pulled out on some main lake points Monday morning and were blessed with a hot spot. We ended up catching 10 keeper smallmouth off one point. My dad had his self-proclaimed best day ever with 6 of the 10 keepers. His 5 best would have weighed 17 or 17 ½ lbs. Biggest fish was 4 lbs. He lost an even bigger smallmouth at the boat, as it jumped, hit the side of the boat, and came off. I was able to catch 2 more keeper smallies and 2 keeper largemouth from that point. We caught around 10 more non-keepers from the point. Went back out later that evening (different main lake point) and had 3 more keeper largemouth (as well as two more which broke off). Hit both points on Tuesday with only 2 keepers, so we fished some secondary points/pockets in the afternoon with lots of fish but again no keepers. Blessed with Wonderful weather, good fishing, and the opportunity to share the boat with my dad (and uncle) one more time. Memories made that will last a life time including me taking a plunge into the big pond Tuesday afternoon (water was cold)…

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barkley Report 11/08 - 11/10

Excellent report, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great time!! Thanks for the report. Hope you have many more times with your Dad and Uncle!!!

HDF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pkfish View Post
    Got back from Barkley last night, my dad, uncle, and I fished North Barkley on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Lots of largemouth in backs of bays, but we were unable to find keepers in the bays. With only 2 keepers of Sunday (several shorts), we pulled out on some main lake points Monday morning and were blessed with a hot spot. We ended up catching 10 keeper smallmouth off one point. My dad had his self-proclaimed best day ever with 6 of the 10 keepers. His 5 best would have weighed 17 or 17 ½ lbs. Biggest fish was 4 lbs. He lost an even bigger smallmouth at the boat, as it jumped, hit the side of the boat, and came off. I was able to catch 2 more keeper smallies and 2 keeper largemouth from that point. We caught around 10 more non-keepers from the point. Went back out later that evening (different main lake point) and had 3 more keeper largemouth (as well as two more which broke off). Hit both points on Tuesday with only 2 keepers, so we fished some secondary points/pockets in the afternoon with lots of fish but again no keepers. Blessed with Wonderful weather, good fishing, and the opportunity to share the boat with my dad (and uncle) one more time. Memories made that will last a life time including me taking a plunge into the big pond Tuesday afternoon (water was cold)…
    now which point is this?????????????lol

Post Thanks / Like

u have to love barkley!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I pull out for KYL/Barkley in the morning.

Amazing how many smallmouth are being caught on Barkley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pkfish View Post
    We ended up catching 10 keeper smallmouth off one point. My dad had his self-proclaimed best day ever with 6 of the 10 keepers. His 5 best would have weighed 17 or 17 ½ lbs. Biggest fish was 4 lbs. He lost an even bigger smallmouth at the boat, as it jumped, hit the side of the boat, and came off. I was able to catch 2 more keeper smallies and 2 keeper largemouth from that point. We caught around 10 more non-keepers from the point.
    Smallies? I know they're there but far and between unlike KY's.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't mean to hijack the thread but this got me wondering when somebody say North Barkley are they referring to Kuttawa area toward KY's or Kuttawa toward south?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BassBandit35 View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but this got me wondering when somebody say North Barkley are they referring to Kuttawa area toward KY's or Kuttawa toward south?
    Generally speaking, North Barkley is downstream from Kuttawa, or towards the dam. Lots of good fishing up that way, but I be danged if I can find them on any regular basis. I know now and then I end up getting some good fish up there, but WOW, I really struggle up there.

Hmmmm, I guess that is as good a reason as any to spend more time up there fishing, don't you? I mean I should really learn that area!!

Let's go fishing...

HDF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BassBandit35 View Post
    Smallies? I know they're there but far and between unlike KY's.
    Yes, smallies...And for North Barkley, I mean from Kuttawa to the dam.