Search Fishin.com

Thread: Walleye tips

Post Thanks / Like

Walleye tips

I will be the first to say, I don't know a lot about catching walleye. I can catch them in the spring, when the shad are coming to the shore to spawn. when this is going on, the walleye are very easy to catch at night on top water. my tip to catch them in the spring, is go to lake cumberland or laurel lake. get their around 10 or 11 oclock at night, and go to a rock wall with deep water and some rock points. cut the boat motor off, be quiet about 5 minutes and see if you hear the shad, if the shad are up on the top of the water you can hear them. they are thousands of them. if you hear them. you can catch walleye. i like to turn my black light off, and running lights also. the darker the better. get about 4 feet from the bank and troll and cast up close to the bank working your bait back to the boat in line with the bank. and the fishing is as good in the back of the boat as the front. because the shad are every where. when you hear the walleye come up and make a sucking noise. cast as close to the noise as you can. you will catch walleye doing this. and stripper to they feed the same way on the shad. some good bait for the walleye are, my favorite is the 3" rico and the spook use a sliver and red fin. and the best top water stripper bait ever is, the bommer magnum with a black back with chrome sides, the green back works very good. just like the walleye the red fins, and slivers catch strippers. when i get one hooked i turn my black light on to see how to land it. then cut my light and fish in the dark. i catch more fish this way. now if any one can tell me how to catch summer and winter walleye, i sure would be thankful. ps. i hope this helped some one thats new to night fishing for walleye and stripper.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Walleye tips

Need help on catching walleye myself.I catch a few from the Ohio river while sauger fishing.The hardest part for me in lakes is finding where they are at.Got lucky on the river Friday night ,got two,one 3 pounder and another that was six pounds ten ounces,the biggest one caught by me.
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

We catch quite a few of them using bottom bouncers and spinner rigs with crawler harnesses in the summer and fall. You would be surprised at how shallow they are in the evenings or on a day with a lot of boat traffic. On the days where there is heavy boat traffic, fish the line where the dirty water meets the clear water a few feet off of the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear the best way to get a hold of a "stripper" is late at night when they get off work...a twenty dollar bill is my lure of choice. Just playing, good advice for the night bite.

The biggest walleyes I have ever caughten were during the dead of winter on the CR right below Wolf Creek dam. Usually fish around midnight right were the hatchery creek dumps into the CR. Throwing large jerkbaits and spoons. Caught a 7.3 lb eye there last year! Man they are good eating!

-Rich