Search Fishin.com

Thread: Boat Storage

Post Thanks / Like

Boat Storage

Boat has just been winterized and am looking to store it outside for the first time to free up the garage. My question regards the batteries - two twelve volt for 24 volt trolling motor and on twelve volt for engine. I would prefer not having to remove them and store inside storage because of the difficulty. Can they safely remain outside in the boat during the winter in this area?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Storage

Although I use the boat a few times throughout the winter, I keep mine out and they do just fine. I charged them up the night before the first late winter/early spring outing and they did just fine and are steal kickin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRunt View Post
    Boat has just been winterized and am looking to store it outside for the first time to free up the garage. My question regards the batteries - two twelve volt for 24 volt trolling motor and on twelve volt for engine. I would prefer not having to remove them and store inside storage because of the difficulty. Can they safely remain outside in the boat during the winter in this area?
    You should bring it back and put it to charge every other month just to keep the cells fresh and ready. I would be concerned about the water freezing, however, if it doesn't freeze in your car outside, it won't in a boat....JMO

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

I leave the on-board charger plugged in and it monitors all 3 batteries and had no problems for 6 years with my boat stored outside.

Friend of my rigged a line voltage heating t-stat that turns on 100 watt lamp in the battery compartment when it goes below freezing - also puts trickle charger on his batteries every 6 weeks or so ... works for him.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use the on-board charger and have had my boat covered outside since 03 and have replaced only 2 batteries both this year. My batteries came in the boat new in 02. Knock on wood!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all who responded. The storage location does not have electrical available. The batteries will be fully charged when stored. This may be naive question, but, should I be concerned about the batteries freezing and bursting in this area? What temperatures would cause that to happen? The boat will be in storage from December until late February/early March.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep them home where it is warm.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my boat outside also, however i remove my batteries not that big a deal with my rig. I store them in my unheated shed and have ever had any problem letting them set. I put them on the charger before i head out. Never heard of a battery freezing up. I would disconet them from the boat though before storage thinking there would be no way for them to loose voltage if nothing is conected.