Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter Get Together Dec 18-20 Dale Hollow..

Official Winter Fishing Get Together will be held out of Horse Creek Marina on Dale Hollow Lake, Home of the World Record Smallmouth, December 18-20. Agenda is as follows:

For accomodations:
    If you want to stay in the Big Cabin, sleeps 10, or Elnutsmalljaws Cabin, sleeps 7, get in touch with Elnutsmalljaws via PM on this board. To make reservations for your own cabin or hotel room at Horse Creek Marina, contact Thomas at Horse Creek at 931-243-2125 and make sure you tell him you are coming for the Winter Get Together. Thomas has special rates for all that are staying for this event that pretty much comes down to $25 per man per night based on cabin rental. He may have some special rates for the hotel rooms but I don't know them so call him.

December 18, 6pm CST (7pm EST) - Meeting will be held either in the Big Cabin located in Horse Creek or at the Volunteer Fire Station House about a mile or so down the main road from Horse Creek Marina. The final location will be determined within the next couple of weeks and depends on the final headcount for the Get Together.

At this meeting, Elnutsmalljaws will give a presentation on the Float N Fly technique - which is an excellent way of catching suspended fish during the winter months. Smallmouth, Ky Spotted Bass, Largemouth and Trout all will hit this technique and winter is an excellent time to catch some TROPHY Smallmouth Bass. Steve Headrick, Owner of Punisher Lures and The One Stop plus known as "the Smallmouth Guru" who has been asked many times to speak on his expertice of Smallmouth Bass at such locations as Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain will be on hand to give a presentation on Football Head Jig, Asprin Head Jig (Hoss Fly), Silver Buddy, anything that I miss on the FNF, plus other winter fishing techniques. Hopefully between the two of us, all will receive some helpful information that will improve everyone's chances of landing that next trophy. There is also a Door Prize Pool that everyone has an opportunity to get involved if they choose, BUT IT IS NOT MANDATORY FOR YOU CAN ATTEND AND NOT GET INVOLVED IN THE DOOR PRIZES. The Door Prize Pool is $20 per person, payable in advance of the meeting and all checks and or money orders will not be cashed until the first of December before my initial trip down to Dale Hollow to purchase the Door Prize Gifts. We also have several items that have been donated and/or will be donated to the Door Prizes and will be given away as well to anyone involved in the Door Prizes. As it stands, it looks like about $1600 worth of items will be given away at the meeting for Door Prizes.

Donated Items to the Door Prize Pool:

Dave Stewart, Bass Buster Guide Service, has graciously donated a 1/2 day guide trip on Ky Lake - which is a good $200 value and worth every penny. I have been in Dave's boat several times and you will be hard pressed to find anyone that knows more or will teach you more about Ky and Barkley Lakes than Dave. Thanks Dave, Dave will not be at the Get Together for he is WAY TOO OLD for the cold weather and will be sipping drinks and eating Crab in Florida with his lovely wife Becky while we are freezing our butts off at Dale.

Doug Meyer, Meyers Boat Restoration, has graciously donated all the labor to perform a total boat re-carpet job. All you do is purchase the material and Doug will add the labor for free. No telling what this is worth, Doug will know, but my guess is a good $300 + dollars worth of labor in this job. Again, Doug has done work on my boat plus has replaced the carpet in Dave Stewart's boat and always has done an excellent job. Thanks Doug, Doug will be at the Get Together by the way so we can thank him in person.

Smacktackle.com has donated 21 Flitterbaits to be given away. You can find the Flitterbait at their website and these are the same people that make the Gizz3 and Gizz4, which I have used and had success in catching Stripers and Walleye at Lake Cumberland. The Flitterbait is sort of a cross between the Silver Buddy and Rattletrap that is designed to be fished like both baits. If they produce as good as they look or as good as the Gizz baits then they will catch fish.

Vaun Cummings has graciously donated 3 memberships to the IGFA, which are all worth $50 each. Thanks Vaun, Vaun will be at the get together.

FCFishman, sorry don't have your full name, is donating a Spinnerbait, Buzzbait and Football Head Jig for every person that attends. These are handmade baits and he is painting the heads as I type.

Elnutsmalljaws, hey that is me, is making FNF bobbers left and right in hopes to have at least 2-3 per person to give away to all that attend.

Steve Headrick, Punisherlures.com and the One Stop, has agreed to give everyone that attends a 10% discount on all Fishing Tackle and Pizza's from the One Stop during the Get Together weekend. Steve carries basically everything that you will ever need in fishing tackle in his store at very reasonable prices to begin with so the 10% additional off can help us get an early start on Christmas (whatever it takes as my wife would say).

Dalehollowfishing.com is in the process of looking thru their Prize Bin and has agreed to donate some gifts to the get together. Check out their website for it is fairly new but a good source to get information on Dale Hollow Lake and if you sign up tell them Elnutsmalljaws sent you.

Backwaters of Lexington has agreed to donate gifts to the get together. John and the boys at Backwaters is a very good stop for bait and tackle in Lexington and we all need to continue to support to keep our small fellas in business to compete against the big boys. You can find FNF material, Silver Buddy's, Asprin Head Jigs, Football Head Jigs and other winter time fishing tackle plus a full line of year around stuff at Backwaters.

Others have expressed interest in donating some items but nothing set in stone as of yet. As they do, I will add more post acknowledging them.

Once the total headcount for the Door Prize Pool is complete then the prizes will be distributed as follows: I will take a Brown Paper Bag per headcount and place all the purchased baits (with the $20 per man that I receive) plus any donated baits evenly across each bag. My guess is that will be probably $40-$50 worth of stuff in each bag alone, which more than doubles the initial investment. This will contain mostly winter fishing items, football head jigs, aspring head jigs, FNF jigs, FNF bobbers, Fish Dope, 3-way swivels, Fireline, Flourocarbon Line, Silver Buddy's and such. Then one bag EACH will recieve the Dave Stewart Guide Trip, Doug Meyer Carpet Labor, 3 bags will each get IGFA memberships and 2 bags will receive 10' Lexus Silstar FNF rods (that I got very reasonable on closeout a few months ago). This totals 7 bags getting "the larger" door prizes not counting what Backwaters or Dalehollowfishing.com donates, so if they are "big" prizes then they will be in additional bags. All bags will be stapled shut and brought to the meeting that way. In the meeting someone will be chosen to number each bag at random, the same numbers will be put in one hat with names of the fellas in the Door Prize Pool in another hat then draw a name - draw a number and that is the bag you get. Totally random - totally fair. Even if you can't make it to the meeting due to getting into Horse Creek late you can still participate in the Door Prize pool and can pick up your bag at my cabin when you arrive.

Saturday - December 19, 6pm CST (7pm EST) - All are invited to meet at El Ray's Mexican Restaurant in Celina to eat supper. They have a back room that can seat about 15 or so but I think we could squeeze in more if needed. Really good Mexican food and a pretty good Steak.

Lodging and Participation as of 11/19:

Big Cabin - Sleeps 10

Geobasser, Boone, Catchemall, Redskeeter have all paid for both nights and are all in Door Prize Pool.

Onemorecast56, FishinisLife and his buddy, Eric Aldridge, Redskeeter's 2 buddy's have all expressed interest in attending and staying in the big cabin but no deposits have been made as of yet. I believe these 6 will attend but I need to get the big cabin deposit to Horse Creek by the first week of December when I go down. $25 per person per night for the cabin and $20 for the door prize pool if you want to get in on that as well. I only need 1 night lodging for a deposit and you can pay the second night when you arrive if you choose but do need the door prize money in advance, no offense but I am not going to spend my own money and then get stuck with the tab of some don't show up. All checks will not be cashed until the first week of December before I leave to head to Dale Hollow on my first trip. This totals 10 in the big cabin.

Elnutsmalljaws Cabin - Sleeps 7

Elnutsmalljaws, 3sons and Bonefish are in the cabin and all are in the door prize pool. We are actually coming down Wednesday thru Sunday so if anyone wants to come early and stay with us you are more than welcome, just let me know.

Shinerman and his buddy, 21ssExtreme and his son, ON3 3Y3D Willi3, Know1 and his brother are all getting their own cabins/hotel rooms and are all in on the door prize pool.

FCFishman and his buddy are getting their own lodging and will get in on the door prize pool but I am awaiting on the door prize money as of today.

My address to send Big Cabin or elnutsmalljaw Cabin or door prize pool check or money order:

Elwood Lumpkins
    113 Appletree Court
    Frankfort, KY 40601

cell is 502-226-0935, if you have any questions

With me heading down to fish December 6-10 and December 16-20 plus any other days that I think the fishing will be good, I will have to put a cutoff date to get in on the Door Prize pool and that date is DECEMBER 11. All Door Prize Pool money MUST be received by then in order for me to have time to take it and purchase additional prizes for the pool.

Long Post but just trying to keep it straight for everyone on the board that knows about the get together but others from other boards are being directed to come to this post to get all the information as well to decide if they want to attend.
    Last edited by elnutsmalljaws; 11-19-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Get Together Dec 18-20 Dale Hollow..

We have a very nice gesture by a member of this board.

Slippedcork has DONATED $50 to be used by anyone that needs it for lodging, food or anything else for the Winter Fishing Get Together. If anyone wants to come to the get together and does not have the money for a couple nights lodging or the money for a TN fishing liscense then let me know. PM me and it will be between yourself and I. I appreciate the donation by Slippedcork on behalf of whomever uses the money. Very nice gesture by a fella that I have never met, emailed or PM'd until today. Thank you very much, nice to see there are people willing to help people in today's world.

Post Thanks / Like

If I have time and get it done, I will bring along some bags of venison jerkey and maybe a couple big vats of venison chili for folks to munch on. I am spending so much time right now in the woods but hopefully I will get it all done and processed. Big article this month on bassmaster.com about FNF. Should have had Elwood write it! Boat is done, B & J called yesterday. $5,800 !!!!!!!!! Looking forward to getting back on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Backwaters has donated 2- $25 gift certificates for the get together. Stop in and see John Meyers and the boys at Backwaters and thank them for their participation.

Anglers Outpost in Nicholasville is going to donate some gifts as well. Wes is looking at all options and will let me know soon as to what. Thanks Wes for you nice gesture.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we will have 8 in the Big Cabin, 5 deposits are in and 3 more will be here in a couple of days but don't have any information on the last 2. I am giving them until Monday to get in touch with me or send their deposits and then I will have to open it up to see if anyone wants those 2 beds. I have 4 beds in my cabin open if anyone would prefer to stay there as well, just let me know. I am trying to keep everyone posted on all changes and updated all donations and other stuff. Hope all is getting the information that they are needing on this event and if you need anything or want to make a suggestion feel free to put it here, PM me, Email me at woodrump@yahoo.com or call me at 502-226-0935. Elnut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Backwaters has donated 2- $25 gift certificates for the get together. Stop in and see John Meyers and the boys at Backwaters and thank them for their participation.

Anglers Outpost in Nicholasville is going to donate some gifts as well. Wes is looking at all options and will let me know soon as to what. Thanks Wes for you nice gesture.
    Anglers Outpost in Nicholasville is donating 10 - 1/2 oz Silver Buddy's and some Hats to be given away. Thanks Wes, we appreciate it. They are also having an open house celebration with several pros that will be there in January. As the details are finalized, I will post plus tell everyone at the get together for they will be done by then.

Punisher Lures in Celina TN is donating several jigs and other items that will be given out at the get together. We appreciate if Steve Headrick and thank you for agreeing to speak at the meeting on Dec 18th as well to give your knowledge of the lake and winter fishing in general. Steve is still giving the 10% off all fishing tackle and Pizza's that are purchased by anyone that attends the Winter Fishing Get Together. The discount is available all weekend while we are there. If you have never been to his store, he has pretty much everything you need, Rods, Reels, Plastics, FNF stuff, and all different tackle and accessories that you need.

Fishin.com is sending me some T Shirts to be given away at the get together. Thanks Peter for this gesture and we appreciate it very much. Thanks for letting us all enjoy this site and everything it gives us. I am a member of this site and several others but for overall general fishing information for the state of Kentucky, no better site available in my opinion.

Thanks to these sponsors and all the others that are listed in the above post. I am pretty sure I have everyone listed but if I missed you please don't hesitate to get in touch with me so I can correct myself. Thanks again, is it Dec 18th yet???

Post Thanks / Like

All deposits received except for the 2 that I have heard nothing from. Currently 8 in the Big Cabin all paid and accounted for and all Door Prize deposits have been received. We can still get the Big Cabin with 8 so even if nobody else comes in late we will still rent it with 8. My cabin sleeps 7 and only has 3 in it as well so it looks like we can put 6 late arrivals in both cabins together if necessary. Thanks to all for getting them in.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Jeff Renneissen of Legal Limit Lures for their donation of Football Head Jigs and Finnesse Jigs to the Winter Fishing Get Together. You can find these jigs at the Horse Creek Marina Store or on line at www.legallimitlures.com. Thanks again Jeff and we appreciate the donations for all of us. elnut

Post Thanks / Like

I asked a moderator to delete some of the post just to keep it as organized as possible the closer we get to the event. If you are looking for your post, I asked for it to be deleted but all of them were up there for some time. Elnut

Post Thanks / Like

Late attendees to the event:

I fully understand about work schedules and other schedules in today's busy world. For anyone that needs to wait before committing to the get together, here is what I propose in regards to the door prizes. My stance on the topic is I don't want to take a bunch of peoples words they are coming and then I go out and spend my own money on door prizes and then many not show up. Trust me when I say I have pretty much everything when it comes to Winter fishing and don't need another 2-3-400 dollars worth of stuff if many don't show up and I buy the gifts. The cutoff day for getting in the door prizes is Friday Dec 11th. I will be coming back from Dale Hollow on Dec 10th and leaving again for Dale on Dec 14th and maybe on the 13th and I want all the door prize bags filled and stapled before I leave. Again, I am not going to be out a lot of my own money so if there are anyone that may attend and have to wait until the last minute I will do it on a case by case basis depending on when you let me know and how sure you are of showing up. It may be that I TRUST in you and buy some door prizes on your behalf TRUSTING that you will show up and can give me the money at the event. One thing you could do if you think you will be there but not 100% is send a check so I have it in hand and I won't cash it until the 11th providing you say you will be there on that day. Include your contact numbers in the check and I could call you that day to make sure but if you say you can't come then I will send your check back to you. This would let me run to Backwaters, Anglers Outpost or some other sponsor of the event and spend the money that weekend and get those items in the door prize bags. This keeps the mail delay out of the equation. I will work with anyone on this, just work with me in return. Elnut, 502-226-0935 if you need to talk

Post Thanks / Like

Preston Moore and Dalehollowfishing.com has generously donated a 2 night cabin rental from Sunset Marina on Dale Hollow Lake, a 2 night cabin rental from Mitchell Creek Marina on Dale Hollow Lake and several Waterproof Maps of Dale Hollow to the Winter Fishing Get Together. Dalehollowfishing.com is geared to the obvious Dale Hollow Fishing so check it out. Thanks again to Preston and all involved with his site for the donations. This thing keeps growing and growing and I am glad that everyone who is attending is signed up for the Door Prizes as well because they just got bigger by around $400 with the donations from Preston. My best guess now is close to $2000 in door prizes to be given away, not bad for a $20 investment and 20 fellow dedicated anglers showing up comes to an average of $100 per person in door prizes to be given away. I have a few more irons in the fire to try and get some additional stuff so hopefully it is not all done yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Elwood, thanks again for the effort everyone is putting in on this get-to-gether. I hope a lot more guys sign up and make it down. It seems this is going to be a geat time down there.