Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

If only more athletes were like Sid

I saw this article on ESPN's web site about Sidney Crosby carrying the Olympic torch http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4668515 and it reminded me of a show I saw on the NHL channel (which I'm sure a lot of you get.. whether you watch it is another story ) called "Sid and Stanley" or something like that, about how he spent his 24 hours with The Cup. You see, every player on the Stanley Cup winning team gets 24 hours with the cup, when they can do pretty much whatever they want. It's been to LOTS of places, including Churchill Downs on Derby Day a couple years ago. It's been used as a Jell-O mold, had copious amounts of alcohol drank from it, etc. Sid chose to take it to his hometown, and let as many people as he could have a chance to see it up close and personal, including a bunch of sick kids in the local hospital. Then he took it out to one of their naval ships and spent a couple hours with the crew there. Lastly he played a game of street hockey with his old buddies, with the Stanley Cup as the prize (he played goal, to make it more fair). All on his birthday. It's a pretty cool show, worth watching even if you're not that into hockey.

I'm a Philadelphia Flyers fan, and Crosby plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins, our division rivals, so I'm pretty much always rooting against him when he's playing. But, while I'm definitely NOT a Penguins fan, I have to admit that I am a Sidney Crosby fan. The kid has shown a lot of class.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If only more athletes were like Sid

Very cool story, sounds like a fine fella to me.

Post Thanks / Like

But of course, guys, he is Canadian! He is from Nova Scotia and they are sure proud of him down there. Hey Road Toad how are your Flyers looking this year. I havent watched much hockey this season. My Senators arent looking good for this year. They lost to the Flyers last week. It always amazes me how a team can be so on fire and strong and win the Stanley Cup one year and then the next year and pretty well the same team can not even make it to the Stanley Cup playoffs. That will alway amaze me. Except for the Montreal Canadiens who in the old days won them every year or in the 80's when the Edmonton Oilers also were the champions every year. ahhhh the good old days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gills View Post
    But of course, guys, he is Canadian! He is from Nova Scotia and they are sure proud of him down there. Hey Road Toad how are your Flyers looking this year. I havent watched much hockey this season. My Senators arent looking good for this year. They lost to the Flyers last week. It always amazes me how a team can be so on fire and strong and win the Stanley Cup one year and then the next year and pretty well the same team can not even make it to the Stanley Cup playoffs. That will alway amaze me. Except for the Montreal Canadiens who in the old days won them every year or in the 80's when the Edmonton Oilers also were the champions every year. ahhhh the good old days.
    They're looking pretty decent, thanks for asking. Our division race is pretty close, so every game is important. Of course, there's still a LOT of hockey to be played!

When you mention the Canadiens and the "good old days,' I can't help but think back to '87 when the Flyers and the Habs got into an all-out brawl during the playoffs. That in itself wouldn't be all that surprising, except this one happened DURING THE WARMUPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, a big brawl during warm-ups, now you dont see that everyday. Must be some leftover tension from a previous game between those 2 teams. I actually enjoy a good brawl now and again. Makes it more exciting at times. Now I know French-Canadians and they are proud and never back down from a fight so I am not surprised they were involved at all. Did you ever get those videos that had the best fights in hockey? They were good. I hope your Flyers continue to do well and I am rooting for my Senators to get themselves into the playoffs.