Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing in January in KY

If you were going to fish for bass in KY during January where would you go?....I always go to Florida to fish in Jan...but I've got some time off in Jan and was thinking about trying a little middle of winter fishing in KY as well as FL...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing in January in KY

Cumberland, float & fly, if you don't know (LEARN) JUS Google it will get you started JMO

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the float & fly. Cumberland and Dale Hollow... Invest about $40 - $50 in a rod and another $25 in FNF gear and you're ready. It's fun and it's a relaxing way to fish, until the bobber goes down.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i've been in discussions before with Elnut about the F-N-F and I'm planning on trying it on the Big-C in DEC. I guess I'll have to do it in Jan too...thanks guys the consensus is in...the F-N-F is IT for winter time in KY....looks like i've got a new tecnique to learn this winter....

Post Thanks / Like

FNF is the winter technique that will catch all kinds of fish. #1 to me and the best lake to do it on is Dale Hollow, technically more in TN than Ky but if you are going to fish it and have the resources to get to Dale then no better lake to fish it on. It will work on any clear water lake or creek in the winter. Fishing a football head jig SLOW is another good technique that will work all winter as well. Good Luck

You will be hearing Elnut on the radio talking about the FNF in December. Backwaters sponsors a fishing show Saturday mornings from 5am to 6am hosted by Doug Flynn and FLW Pro Keith Munson and they have asked if I would come on the set one Saturday in December and talk about the fly. Pretty cool at first, pretty nervous the more I think about it but hopefully I will do ok. Johnny Bench, Forrest Wood and Jeff Foxworthy are scheduled the next couple of weeks so tough act to follow after these guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Never have seen you without words, especially when it comes to FNF fishing. Wouldn't miss it. The secret is knowing your subject so no worries on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Cumberland a respectable Float and Fly Lake?

Much easier for me to do a day excursion to C from my Dad'd house in Lex then say Dale. The drive from Cumberland Halcomb landing on down to Albany always seems to take an extra hour which is about the death of a day trip to me.

If fishing C, the steep banks can be tough. Do you guys find main points mid-way back of coves in order to find reasonable slopes?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You can catch fish out of Cumberland with the fly but it is more difficult than Dale Hollow just for the fact that there is more structure to fish in Dale than Cumberland. Dale has deep grass, shallow grass, black shale, chunk rock, better points, ledges and humps that all will hold fish at certain times so you get more of an opportunity to pattern the fish. Cumberland has deep clear water but except for the banks, pretty much a big bowl. I have never Seriously fished the fly at Cumberland but I know some fellas that have and it is pretty tough fishing. If I had to, I would get a good topo map and focus on the depth changes along the banks. Places where the contour goes from say bluffs to 60 degree or 60 to 30 degree areas of the banks would be the better holding places for the fish. Take into consideration the current elevation of the lake and it probably would be very helpful to actually draw the new bank outline on the map to better see these contour changes based on the current depth. I would say that later in the FNF season say February it would be easier to fish Cumberland because the fish will tend to be on the Bluff Walls more by then, especially after several days of unseasonably warm weather. You could fish the wall by Jamestown, Pig Pen, the wall towards Harmon and Difficulty, the wall on the left heading up into Beaver and Otter and such for long stretches to find the fish. I would think that Cumberland and Laurel would both be tough to fish the Fly on but they can be fished but I don't think with the success that one can achieve at Dale Hollow.

Post Thanks / Like

Elnut- you said what I expected. I have fished a jig pretty extensively in the bays near Griders Hill boat dock during the winter and find fish can be spread out on Cumberland. hard to find them fishing slow.

When I go to Dale, i normally put in at Dale State Park or Wisdom dock and fish KY waters. Have never done very good and I'm not sure I've ever caught a fish on the float and fly. To be fair, I have not fished the FnF much nor in prime season of mid-Dec to Feb.

Does the KY side of Dale hold enough good spots? The Celina area has to be much better from what I recall fishing it in the spring many years ago.

Problem I have is that I spend all my fishing credits with the wife at KYL/Barkley and Lake Okeechobee so this leaves me needing to do day trips to Dale. It is one thing to drive from Lex to Albany if the bite is good but not so much to fish all day in the cold for a single 1lb smallie

Post Thanks / Like

You can put in at the State park and there is plenty of water to catch the fly on within 6 miles of the ramp. I fish the TN side 99% of the time becaus there is more structure to fish than in the Wolfe River. More deep grass and shallow grass beds, more black shale, more humps, more ledges. My best spots are all between First Island which is just South of Holly Creek to Lillydale to the north. Lillydale is only a mile or so from the State Park new ramp on the main lake, just head west around the point that comes out from Trooper Island and when you get around it, you are looking at Lillydale area. If you turn right and head west toward Sulphur Creek you are heading into what I think is the best part of the lake to fish, but there is fish all over that lake. If you want to go to Albany and put in at Wisdom and fish the KY side then you will still catch fish but in my opinion not the quality of Smallies you will on other parts of the lake. Dale is funny in that to me the Wolfe River is the best Largemouth part of the lake, Excellent Spotted Bass and smaller Smallmouth, Mid Lake from First Island to Lillydale is Excellent quality and quantity of Smallmouth, some spotted bass and some largemouth, south of First Island is Excellent Smallies and Excellent Trout fishing but not as many spotted bass or largemouth. This is all based on what I have experienced on the lake. All this being said and I LOST my biggest smallie ever in Feb 2005 in the Wolfe River no more than a couple of hundred yards from where the world record was caught. She was an EASY 8 and I had her just out of net range 3 times before she straightened out my hook on my FNF jig. This was the only fish I have ever had on over 4lbs in that section of the lake versus catching 35+ over 5 and 3 over 6 and maybe 200 over 4 on the other parts of the lake. Your call, there are trophies all over the lake but I would rather fish where I think there are more trophies available and that is not in the wolfe river, just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Elnut- appreciate the response. I know most hold Dale in high regard but my experience has been mixed and I normally do pretty good when I fish. That I may not be fishing where the big guys roam and frequent is very plausable explanation.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good info right there Professor. I am soaking it up. Now if I can find the time and the right water I would like to see if I can pass the test.

What station are you going to be on and what time do I need to listen?