Search Fishin.com

Thread: Harrods Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Harrods Creek

I finally got a john boat, I am hoping someone out there could give me some tips for fishing Harrods creek. Or creeks that run off the Ohio river. Helpful information would be:

-What species should I target?
    -How far up Harrods Creek is navigable?
    -I know this is a long shot but if anyone has a honey hole they would like to share with me, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
    -Any interesting landmarks along the way.
    -I have also heard that if you go far enough up the creek to where it gets shallow and then where the deep pools start, they hold "monster" bass. (any truth to this?)
    -Basically any onformation anyone out there has would be great!

I will update you guys/gals if I answer any of these questions my self.

Thanks,
    Boondock

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harrods Creek

Congrats on the boat.

You can catch just about any species at any given time. If catching anything is your goal, I would try RoadRunners, small cranks, and smallish soft plastics/jigs around the docks all up and down the creek, but especially from the mouth to the entrance of Captain's Quarters. You will catch a mixed bag of bass and whites. Just parallel the docks with the RoadRunners and cranks or pitch plastics/jigs around the pilings. Also target the submerged stumps on the opposite bank with the plastics/jigs.

Live minnows around the same area and any submerged brush/tree all thru the creek can produce crappie and bluegill.

Bass can be caught the length of the creek around stumps, pilings, riprap, and brush. Sometimes you must cover a lot of water to find the fish in one or two places.

Check your sonar in the deep water from the mouth to entrance of Captain's Quarters. If lots of returns, try small to medium sized jigging spoons. If seeing fish near the bottom, try jigging minnows...it could be sauger.

Word of caution: Do not fish into any of the marinas, but especially Captain's Quarters. They are enforcing the no-fishing rules and the charge is trespassing if the police are called. I believe the fine is around $200, but am not sure. Also, be courteous of the boats and docks along the main creek channel. People don't appreciate lures bouncing off their boats or line/hooks in their mooring lines.

Good luck.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Being that I use to live a short bike ride to Harrods creek, Ive spent many hours fishing there. Most of it was well "up the creek" wade fishing. Some decent small mouths can be had up there and there are some good little sauger holes. Ive fished it from the mouth of the Ohio river up past 329 and even a good few hours hike past 1694. I use to fish from Sleepy Hollow lake all the way down the S. Fork, hit Harrods Creek and end up at a friends house in Hunting Creek who would then drive me back to my bike/car! I lived in Glenn Oaks and would basically follow the creek from there all the way to Hunting Creek.

Maybe I can hitch a ride with you and give you a few pointers. Until then, my three best artificials I bring are: 2.5" pumpkinseed color gitzit tube jigs, white rooster tails of varying sizes, and rootbeer/chart Bandit crankbaits. You can never go wrong with live bait. Pitching a weightless minnow or crawfish (caught in the creek) on a small circle hook will result in alot of fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Found a pretty cool link, thought some of you guys/gals might want to check it out.

http://www.trailsrus.com/canoeing/harrodscr.html