Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up The Case for David Haynes-Record Smallmouth Title

typo in title, should be Hayes, not Haynes....editor does not allow correction

Never knew there was such past controversy over David Hayes record Dale Hollow Smallmouth fish until recently while visiting Celina, Tn . Then more recently, responses to Bonefish's post on the board brought it to my attention again. So, I did some online research and wanted to share the results. In my opinion, the record did and does belong to David.

PS: David Haynes passed away earlier this year.

Attached are links to 3 articles, which detail the history of his record catch in 1955, the disqualification in 1996 and reinstatement in 1999 by the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and by the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) in 2005.

"The Case for David Hayes" - Bassmaster Magazine, October 2005
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/outdoors/ba...record_BMM0510

"Smallmouth Bass World Record Turns 50" - ESPN.com, December 2005
    http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/f...ecord_turns-50

"IGFA Reinstates 50-Year-Old World Record Smallmouth, Chattanoogan.com, December 2005"
    http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_77215.asp
    Last edited by FlyLie; 12-04-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Case for David Haynes-Record Smallmouth Title

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post

Never knew there was such past controversy over David Hayes record Dale Hollow Smallmouth fish until recently while visiting Celina, Tn . Then more recently, responses to Bonefish's post on the board brought it to my attention again. So, I did some online research and wanted to share the results. In my opinion, the record did and does belong to David.

Attached are links to 3 articles, which detail the history of his record catch in 1955, the disqualification in 1996 and reinstatement in 1999 by the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and by the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) in 2005.

"IGFA Reinstates 50-Year-Old World Record Smallmouth, Chattanoogan.com, December 2005"
    Sorry for the other 2 entries, tried to edit, tried to delete...well, you see the results....

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know that Mr. Hayes passed away this past year. RIP I always thought that Mr. Hayes was a victim of a couple of jelous scumbags in Tenn, and I still do. I met Mr. Hayes a few years ago and he was a stand up guy. I'll go to my grave believing his fish was completely legitimate. It will be one of the toughest world records to ever beat. That fish was a freak of nature and will stand the test of time. I can't think of a tougher record to break.

PS ....Not to rag on Tenn., but I have a little problem with them claiming the fish as their state record smallmouth. I would hope that Kentucky would require that all of our state records are caught in the confines of our state. (rant, rant, rant.....)

Post Thanks / Like

The fish was caught in the confines of the state because it was caught on the KY side of the state line. He caught the fish in Reciprocating water which recognizes both TN and Ky liscense and any fish caught there would be reconized by both states. If a Muskie or Largemouth was caught in reciprocating waters and it broke either or both state records it would be recognized as well by either or both states.

Post Thanks / Like

Boone, are you 100% certain that Mr. Hayes passed away? I had not heard that and tried googling his obituary or any articles talking about his passing and was unable to locate anything. Not doubting you, just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Boone, are you 100% certain that Mr. Hayes passed away? I had not heard that and tried googling his obituary or any articles talking about his passing and was unable to locate anything. Not doubting you, just curious.
    Tim,
    YOU ARE CORRECT. I CONFUSED HIM WITH MR. JAMES HAYES. TO ALL THOSE ON THE BOARD AND ESPECIALLY TO MR. DAVID HAYES, PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY.
    BOONE

James “Cobby” Hayes, 70
    Funeral Services for James “Cobby” Hayes of Celina will be held at 2PM Wednesday July 29, 2009.
    Mr. James “Cobby” Hayes passed away Sunday, July 26, 2009 at his residence.
    Mr. Hayes was born November 6, 1938 in Celina, Tennessee to the late Cornell and Anna (Dale) Hayes. He was a Supervisor for Heavy Electric and a member of the Beech Bethany Church of Christ.
    He is survived by his wife, Carolyn Hayes, son and daughter-in law, Zane and Monica Hayes of Celina(TN); Daughter and son-in-law, Vickie and Kenny Elkins of Okeechobee (FL); Sister and brother-in -law, Mildred and Tommy Goodpasture of Oliver Springs(TN); 4 grandchildren Maggie, Brandon, Zoe, and Carson.
    Serving as pallbearers will be Steve Hedrick, Joe Halfacre, Joe Jones, Danny Stone, Bobby Gentry, and Glenn Stone
    Funeral Services will be conducted at Upton Funeral Home with Kenny Westmoreland officiating.
    Visitation: 5PM-9PM Monday, 9AM-9PM Tuesday, and 9AM-2PM Wednesday. you are correct. Looks like I had him confused with Mr. James Cobby Hayes who passed away this July. Sorry for the confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

It's always great to hear that someone's death has been exagerated! I hope Mr. Hayes is not an internet surfer.

Post Thanks / Like

To all those that read my post regarding the illegitimacy of Mr. Haye's fish I apologise.
    After reading the article above I see where I was given lots of miss information.
    I passed along the same article an received the same response from another non believer who changed his mind also.

I knew Mr. Hayes was still alive as a good friend of mine is talking to him an is going to meet him an get a picture of him an the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Hayes is living in the Leitchfield area I think. He brought his fish to a Fishers of Men pre-tournament meeting and had a question and answer time. I have no doubts that this is the true record.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the first articles to stand up for David Hayes appeared on Fishin.com years before the articles in Bass Pro. I am not sure that the articles are still up on this site, but a copy can be seen at www.WorldRecordSmallmouth.com, Jim Dicken (Me) wrote the article in the late 90's or early 2000 after talking to several people around Dale Hollow, and to the Head of fisheries for the Department of Fish and Wildlife in Tennessee. All the same info in the Bass Masters Article Appeared here on Fishin.com FIRST.

Post Thanks / Like

Cobby was a fixture at the Dale Hollow One Stop in Celina and a good friend of Steven Headrick. That may be where the confusion came from. Steven met with David Hayes several years ago and has a picture of himself and David Hayes in the Store.
    Jim Dicken

Tim,
    YOU ARE CORRECT. I CONFUSED HIM WITH MR. JAMES HAYES. TO ALL THOSE ON THE BOARD AND ESPECIALLY TO MR. DAVID HAYES, PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY.
    BOONE

James “Cobby” Hayes, 70
    Funeral Services for James “Cobby” Hayes of Celina will be held at 2PM Wednesday July 29, 2009.
    Mr. James “Cobby” Hayes passed away Sunday, July 26, 2009 at his residence.
    Mr. Hayes was born November 6, 1938 in Celina, Tennessee to the late Cornell and Anna (Dale) Hayes. He was a Supervisor for Heavy Electric and a member of the Beech Bethany Church of Christ.
    He is survived by his wife, Carolyn Hayes, son and daughter-in law, Zane and Monica Hayes of Celina(TN); Daughter and son-in-law, Vickie and Kenny Elkins of Okeechobee (FL); Sister and brother-in -law, Mildred and Tommy Goodpasture of Oliver Springs(TN); 4 grandchildren Maggie, Brandon, Zoe, and Carson.
    Serving as pallbearers will be Steve Hedrick, Joe Halfacre, Joe Jones, Danny Stone, Bobby Gentry, and Glenn Stone
    Funeral Services will be conducted at Upton Funeral Home with Kenny Westmoreland officiating.
    Visitation: 5PM-9PM Monday, 9AM-9PM Tuesday, and 9AM-2PM Wednesday. you are correct. Looks like I had him confused with Mr. James Cobby Hayes who passed away this July. Sorry for the confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, thanks for the additional information.
    Gary