Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curado Trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Curado Trouble

I bought my first in May this year, but have not used it as much as one would think since then and Im already having a problem with it. This started yesterday, when I cast it makes a loud clicking noise, kinda like the noise I made by putting a baseball card in my bicycle wheel when I was a kid. Plus, I cant get the distance I was getting in my cast. What is this?

I bought from a Bass Pro store very far from home. Should I go to Shimano or BPS for help? I hate to say it but dont feel like waiting till next year for Shimano to get back with me...
    BTW- I have cleaned and oiled it but it still does it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Curado Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I bought my first in May this year, but have not used it as much as one would think since then and Im already having a problem with it. This started yesterday, when I cast it makes a loud clicking noise, kinda like the noise I made by putting a baseball card in my bicycle wheel when I was a kid. Plus, I cant get the distance I was getting in my cast. What is this?

I bought from a Bass Pro store very far from home. Should I go to Shimano or BPS for help? I hate to say it but dont feel like waiting till next year for Shimano to get back with me...
    BTW- I have cleaned and oiled it but it still does it.
    The thumb bar may not be disingaging the spool all the way

Post Thanks / Like

I have owned 3 Curado's previously and none of them worked correctly when the temperature got really cold. My reels had the exact same symptoms that you described. I switched to Revo's.

Post Thanks / Like

Basspro has switched reels out for me before no questions asked. I have an older Citica that was making a louder buzzing sound on long casts. On that reel the small round plastic things that control the magnets were worn out and were rubbing when you made a hard cast. I switched them out and the noise went away. Check them and see if they are dark or burnt on the ends. The loud clicking noise that you are describing may be a little more serious though.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow , sorry to hear your troubles . I would take it to any bass pro with receipt and talk to a manager and they should put a new one in your hand , if not make a little fuss and demand good service........ I ve owned around 20 of them and never had the first problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of one of the new Curados doing this! Definitely check the thumbar on the inside of the reel and make sure that it engages and disengages all the way when you have the handle-side plate off. I would take it back ASAP and demand some kind of resolution. You can also call Shimano Customer Service at 1 (877) 577-0600. They will be willing to help as well. I know my Calais reels have a 48 hour turnaround time, but I'm not for sure about the Curados (I never had a single problem out of any of them I have owned -- pale green SF, silver curados, and new green 200s).

Post Thanks / Like

Its not the thumb bar. I hate to even post this because I use shimano rods and love them. This was my first high dollar reel, and I loved it while it was working good.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's not the thumbar itself, but it could be the mechanism in the housing that releases the clutch and pinion. It is closely related to the thumbar. If you check the reel schematics in the owner's manual, you will see these parts. I don't know the BNT numbers off the top of my head, but they relate to the yoke, clutch spring, pinion gear, yoke springs, and a plastic housing.

I would just try to swap it at Bass Pro, in all honesty. Sounds to me like the pinion gear is catching the tabs on the spool shaft when you cast. If it doesn't make this noise on the retrieve, this is definitely the problem. The thumbar assembly isn't allowing the yoke to raise completely up to free the pinion gear from the spool shaft tabs. In a nutshell, take it back. I'm sorry that you're having the problem. Shimano stands behind their products 100%, so you should get taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best thing shimano could do is go back to the old Curado. I think they would be suprised how many they would sell. I still have 4 of the old green models and love them. I still prefer them over my new revo's. I also prefer the old Chronarch over the new one's as well. Why fix something that's not broke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00SKEETER View Post
    I think the best thing shimano could do is go back to the old Curado. I think they would be suprised how many they would sell. I still have 4 of the old green models and love them. I still prefer them over my new revo's. I also prefer the old Chronarch over the new one's as well. Why fix something that's not broke.
    If you ask me...............the redesign was simply to SKREW us out of more money.

A 119.00 reel now costs 169.00.....50 BUCKS more......is there 50 bucks more in RD, product, equipment, etc, etc........HELL NO.......but they could not simply raise the price by 50 bucks and sell the old curado reels. I actually posted on another site that the gears and components in the new reels, especially their spinning equipment is JUNK compared to the old.

Too bad.......the old ones are REALLY good...........I have not purchased a new one yet........my 15 yr old curado reels are still holding up pretty good though.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I've had similar problem with one of the reels that made that exact noise you described. I discovered it was the spool shaft that was dried after I wiped off while cleaning. I took the spool out again and applied a drop or two of oil on shaft. Problem solved. Cast like a dream without a sound. Should be cheap fix. Try it and see. Don't ya wish you picked Abu Garica including free glasses?

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't it a shame the things a company does to its customers...they are constantly changing their products and its usually so they can sell them for a higher price... I always had good experiences with abu until last year I bought a 4600 c4...what was wrong with the 4500c?....was a great little reel....the 4600c4 is a great reel ....most of the time....the other 10% of the time it just locks up tight. have to push the release bar really hard to get it to work again...I'm beginning to think your best bet is to buy cheap equipment and if it screws up, toss it in the trash can....warantees are ok but if you have to wait months to get them fixed of replaced they aren't worth the trouble either....broke a shimano rod this spring...took me 4 months to get it replaced.