Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing DH in March

Planning my first trip to Dale, it will be mid march. Just wondering what I should expect, what lures and such I need to have with me, and a ball park on what the SM and LM will be doing there at that time. I know March can be unpredictable this far in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing DH in March

I know one thing FOR SURE, take your RAIN GEAR

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, I'm not an expert on Dale Hollow but I do fish it often and do reasonably well over there. During that time of year, I would, and do fish jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, grubs and crankbaits, mostly in that order. I've not gotten in to the swimbait craze yet but I know of others who have done quite well on them during that time of year. As you stated, the weather will have a huge bearing on exactly what patterns are the best but the fish should be working their way towards the shallows. For me, it seems that they were a little bit later moving up this past spring relative to the 2 years before. I think that actually having a winter last year had something to do with that.

Also, pay attention to Rick Hise. Usually when he starts posting, things are about to bust loose. He lives very close to the lake, fishes it very often, and is in the loop with several guides. He mostly fishes with live bait but I've been able to get a good enough pattern off of the information he posts to put things together with artificial bait. His posts have helped me a ton.

If Elwood is healthy, and I certainly hope he is this year, he would also be a good one to pay attention to.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pointer View Post
    Andy, I'm not an expert on Dale Hollow but I do fish it often and do reasonably well over there. During that time of year, I would, and do fish jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, grubs and crankbaits, mostly in that order. I've not gotten in to the swimbait craze yet but I know of others who have done quite well on them during that time of year. As you stated, the weather will have a huge bearing on exactly what patterns are the best but the fish should be working their way towards the shallows. For me, it seems that they were a little bit later moving up this past spring relative to the 2 years before. I think that actually having a winter last year had something to do with that.

Also, pay attention to Rick Hise. Usually when he starts posting, things are about to bust loose. He lives very close to the lake, fishes it very often, and is in the loop with several guides. He mostly fishes with live bait but I've been able to get a good enough pattern off of the information he posts to put things together with artificial bait. His posts have helped me a ton.

If Elwood is healthy, and I certainly hope he is this year, he would also be a good one to pay attention to.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Mike
    Don't count on me for any info in March because after my surgery coming in February the Surgeon says 10 months minimum to heal so I will be lucky to be casting the fly in December of 2010. My guess today is the end of March will be better because the full moon is then and you will get a few early spawners, Smallmouth, on pea gravel points and pockets in the backs of the creeks but they won't be far from deeper water. I know some guys that go down there every year about that time and take shiners and flip them into the brush and laydown on the banks and catch some monster Smallies and Bucketmouths. never done it but he has told me this for a couple of years and invited me to go with them but between surgeries and Ky Lake, just can't do it. Really will depend on the water temps as to the better pattern. If you want to get in touch with me and I will call my buddy Steve Headrick and get some inside information or you can call him yourself and he will help you out. Hope this helps some. elnut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Don't count on me for any info in March because after my surgery coming in February the Surgeon says 10 months minimum to heal so I will be lucky to be casting the fly in December of 2010. My guess today is the end of March will be better because the full moon is then and you will get a few early spawners, Smallmouth, on pea gravel points and pockets in the backs of the creeks but they won't be far from deeper water. I know some guys that go down there every year about that time and take shiners and flip them into the brush and laydown on the banks and catch some monster Smallies and Bucketmouths. never done it but he has told me this for a couple of years and invited me to go with them but between surgeries and Ky Lake, just can't do it. Really will depend on the water temps as to the better pattern. If you want to get in touch with me and I will call my buddy Steve Headrick and get some inside information or you can call him yourself and he will help you out. Hope this helps some. elnut
    Thanks for the good info. I will try to contact you Elnut a week or so before we go and I hope the surgery goes as good as possible.