Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite long casting cranking rod

What are your favorite cranking rods for LONG casting that still having good sensitivity?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite long casting cranking rod

IMO - I don't think you can beat BPS Crankin Sticks for the money spent. I bought 7'6" model last year teamed with a Revo STX and it casts farther than more expensive combos in my rod locker, and with good sensitivity.

I planning to add a 7'10" model to the arsenal for this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a 7' Berkley Shock last year and found it to be a nice cranking rod . It has just the right amount of sensitivity but is limber enough so old bucket mouth cant throw the bait . I found that I was grabbing it more than my Kistler . Using Revo STX and Quantum Energy reels . The rod is designed for braided line and it was OK for cranking but I still like mono for more stretch when fighting bigger fish . The balance and weight of the rod is very good - makes casting all day less of a chore and the $50 price tag aint bad either .

Here is the Berkley ad - Quote : Perfect For Any Superline Fishing Situation. Superline fishing is a mainstay with savvy anglers. From bass to inshore species and just about everything in between, anglers turn to braid and superlines anytime they need a near-zero-stretch line with plenty of strength in a small diameter. Because superline fishing is here to stay, Berkley® introduces the Lightning Rod® Shock, a family of rods designed specifically for superline fishing. To be specifically designed for superline, the Lightning Rod® Shock family features Aluminum Oxide guides that are diamond polished to a rich, black surface for strength, durability and reduced friction. These downsized guides help decrease wind knots and other line management issues while remaining lightweight and tough. In addition to sizes and actions best suited to superline, Lightning Rod® Shock rods feature a Strike Amplifying Tip (S.A.T.), which blends fiberglass with graphite in the end of the rod, producing a slower-reacting tip that results fewer lost fish. With a split-grip design that delivers more sensitivity and better balance with less weight, Lightning Rod® Shock rods also feature a suspending reel seat that keeps the reel from dampening vibration and ensuring maximum sensitivity. 1K Power Helix construction produces extra strength in the backbone while remaining light weight, necessary for powerful hooksets and stress loads that are inherent when fishing with a superline. : Unquote .
    I also have a 2009 model Kistler Helium LTA that I used for cranking - found the extra 6" didnt really make that much of a difference .
    Also had a Kistler GP cranking rod and sold it on ebay , the Shock is much better .

Tight lines

Post Thanks / Like

Longer rods=better fighting power is a myth. Longer rods don't give you anymore leverage in fighting a fish than let's say, a 6ft. rod.

Being a custom rod builder I would build every rod on a Berkley blank if they sold to the rod builder. You can get seconds from certain suppliers, but they are seconds. Don't get me started on the marketing behind Kistler and the LTA verse other rods less than half of their cost.

Ray Rigby

Post Thanks / Like

I do have two BPS crankin sticks that are both 7' and I really like them too. I have Quantum Accurists and KVD reels on them and get good casting distance. Was wondering if I was able to get better. I would think that a 1/2 foot longer would help though. My brother uses GLoomis rods and he hates the crankin sticks because the handles are larger than the GLoomis but that doesn't bother me.
    Mr. Rigby - I have twice seen on here that you refer to Berkley's blanks as top notch. What all does a good blank do for you? Is that what makes a stronger and/or more sensitive rod? Does a faster tip help with casting? But does that hurt with sensitivity? I would like to see your feedback on this. As a custom rod builder you probably have better rod knowledge than I ever will. I would like to be better educated when I go to purchase a rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Spider. The Berkley blanks are 4th. generation graphite and their quality control is impeccable. They are light, crisp and very sensitive. They are inexpensive because Berkley keeps cost down with components. They also have them assembled by cheap labor. They are mass produced and all the care is not taken to assure yourself they are higher end quality.

If I were to buy a rod off the rack I would look for certain things right away. How are the guides wrapped? Are they straight? Are they aligned correctly on the blank, i.e the spline. Every blank has a natural curve from manufacturing. Guides put on the wrong side of the blank cause undue stress on the blank and end in premature failure.

Marketing ploys used by other rod companies are usually as follows: They charge you well over $200 for a rod that cost around $40 to assemble labor and material. They than offer a warranty where you can pay $50 for a unquestionable return on the rod. The rod company is still plus $10 so how is that warranty is a benefit to the consumer considering the cost? It's all smoke and mirrors.

I can take a Berkley Series One, strip the components off, add my own and it will be better than any Loomis or LTA made. I build my rods to match up to the reel I am using. Mass produced use a generic guide spacing shart, i.e one size fits all. This takes away from the true performance of any rod. I don't build for money, nor do I build for customers. I build strictly for myself and select friends.

If you attend my show the end of January look me up. I have friend who is a custom builder who has a booth there and I will show you some things on an unfinished blank, and finished blank that will make you a better rod shopper.

Ray Rigby

Post Thanks / Like

I carry 3 different cranking rods. One is a 6'6" BPS rod, one old Lew's 7', and one 7'6" Loomis. In all honesty, if I'm throwing cranks that go deeper than 10' that Lew's is the best one. I can get much more distance out of the Loomis (it has a much better whip on it) but the Lew's handles the deeper baits better. For shallow and medium depth baits the Loomis is hard to beat. I use the BPS rod for top waters. If you don't feel like dropping the money for the Loomis (and can't find an old Lew's) the BPS cranking rods are decent for the money. I haven't tried one longer than 6'6" but the one I have does a decent job for what I paid for it.
    You will get more casting distance by changing your line and your reels than out of your rods. Upgrade the bearings on your reels or buy premium reels and they should cast better regardless of what rod you have them on.
    My .02 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate all the help.
    Mr. Rigby - Where and when is your show? I'm not familiar with it. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray's show is Jan. 30 and 31 at the Johnson County fair grounds in Franklin, IN. It is a pretty good show.
    Eric H.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on Berkley rods - been using their Lightning rods since the 1980's and still using them today . For anyone around Evansville you probably have heard of AMERICAN LEGACY FISHING CO , the G Loomis dealer here in town . They have a trade-in program and sell used rods & reels { all makes } , you can check to listing on-line - http://www.gloomis.us/Default.aspx?pid=109278 . They have same descent deals .
    Anyone ice fishing yet ?

Post Thanks / Like

Bassmanic1 if you fish any tournaments I'd like to invite you to fish the American Legacy Ohio River Series with us. They are all on the Ohio River out of Angel Mounds ramp. If you'll send me an email at dshardes@aol.com I'll put you on our mailing list for all future information. Hope to hear from you......

Don