Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asian Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asian Carp

[QUOTE=kygorski;394927] Whats to stop them from gaining access to the TN river or the cumberland river? Commercial fishing could control them, but there is no marketing of them. QUOTE]

They are already in KY lake and Lake Barkely which means they are in the TN and Cumberland Rivers.

Post Thanks / Like

I have posted on here before about this topic, but I had a 4-foot long one of these asian carp jump next to my boat while fishing in 3 feet of water along the bank of the Little Kentucky River in 2004. Scared the crap out of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Calm limp rod, calm. You can rest assured no transgressions against me will go unattended. I'm sure it ended up turtle food with it's brains leaking out of its soft skull and lower jaw ripped off. It was really sort of a pretty picture, crimson on chrome, swirling around concentric rings of black and gold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    They have been at the Mcalpine for several years now.I'm quite sure they are allready further up the Ohio and possibly as far as Pitt.
    Chuckster and I have seen plenty over the last few years. They are already here in numbers. I encourage bowfisherman..........Kill'em all, and leave the whiskered ones there. The Oriental, Asian folks down at the Falls love those Silvers and the Bigheads give them away if you wish, they make some kinda of dish from them, and the bigger the better I was told. That was not meant as a racial slur by no means as they really do like getting these fish to take home.

Post Thanks / Like

commercial fishing, according to articals I have read, the meat is white and dosn't have a fishy taste. They can be ground up and made into fish pattys, BUT a market would need to be developed.also there is swome talk about using them for organic fertilizerBut the processing would be awfull to live near. Because of their size preditors are out of the question.There are anumber of unwanted imports around, the alewife is one of them, at one time it was estimated they made up almost 80% of the bio mass of lake michigan, hence the coho and king salmon were brought in to deal with them, and the fishing was fantastic for a number of years but something happened to them, and the salmon size went all the way down. Sea lampreys almost wiped out the lake trout in the great lakes, and they still are a problem, but tons of money was spent to kill them off. Zebra muscles, lake erie was covered with them, then the freshwatwer drum began to feast on them.Rusty crawfish were and still are a problem in the upper midwest.We wont get into the weeds there are too many of them to talk about, one is infesting the cum,berland river now.

Post Thanks / Like

You know it's sad because when it comes to fisheries and the programs that get implemented to fix something there is always a draw back. Plus the ability to stop anything is almost zilch! It's just a matter of time before Snakeheads are being caught in KY.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the introduction of the alligator gar back into the Ohio was is supposed to help somewhat but that jury is still out. Ind. outlawed snagging from there shores because of a bunch of illegal spoonbillers so there is nothing we can do.I enjoyed snaggin the heck out of them and using them for fertilizer.They are one stinky fish,Mark and I can vouch for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    I heard the introduction of the alligator gar back into the Ohio was is supposed to help somewhat but that jury is still out. Ind. outlawed snagging from there shores because of a bunch of illegal spoonbillers so there is nothing we can do.I enjoyed snaggin the heck out of them and using them for fertilizer.They are one stinky fish,Mark and I can vouch for that.
    We snagged and hooked the same one in a pool it was trapped in I bet 5 to 7 times before we finally brought that nasty bighead to hand. We were wading to so it was cuttting in and out around us with a cranbait or treble in it's side, lol. We were doing hand to hand with those dang things, that was fun. Biggest one that day weighed over 45 #. Chuck and I stunk so bad at the end of that day, we could have knocked a buzzard off of a crap wagon. He's right they smell BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Man they stink that bad and are supposed to taste good? Yuck.

Post Thanks / Like

The slime and smell is what cost the last one its lower jaw. I picked it up with my hands and got slimed good, latched onto it with the leatherman, it flopped away but left its jaw in my pliers. I've seen some big Alligator gar in pics from Texas and Louisiana, wish we had about a thousand of those brutes. I'm aware that a small population had managed to survive in the slews around the Ohio/Missisppi River junction before this stocking program I heard rumors of but what I am curious about is why they no longer inhabit more northerly waters? Are they not competitive enough? Need stained water? Pollution? What up with that?

Post Thanks / Like

seen some below the dam at taylorsville lake earlier this year all different sizes
    almost went and got my bow

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to a friend of mine who's an avid bow hunter today about asian carp. He told me Johnny law made them stop shooting the the carp around the lock area at Louisville. Go figure? Looking at his pictures those things get huge!