Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help on West Point Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Ky 520 View Post
    well guys the water is very muddy and trashy right now, i just got back yesterday from West Point, the weather was unseasonbaly cool and the fishing was slow.. but i did see a few nice crappie at the boat dock, i have no idea how they were catching them or where they were catching them but even with the muddy water that is where i saw all of the crappie fisherman congregated.
    I've heard the conditions were not good last week. The temps for down there is going to be in the 60's - 70's this week until the weekend and then dip down in the 50's for a few days, then rebound back to the 60's. This should warm the water up. Don't let the muddy conditions get you down, the cool water had more for the tough fishing. You can catch them down there in muddy/stained water, but the temp has to get up. Just 11 more days until 6 good days on West Point. Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like

yea the water should warm up and the fish should really start moving here soon, the dirty water didn't bother me necessarily because I know that the dirty water will warm up quicker when the sun shines on it for a few days.. But even though we had a tough practice trip i'm still looking forward to the tourney down there. hopefully the water will clean up some though, is the normal water color fairly clear??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ky 520 View Post
    yea the water should warm up and the fish should really start moving here soon, the dirty water didn't bother me necessarily because I know that the dirty water will warm up quicker when the sun shines on it for a few days.. But even though we had a tough practice trip i'm still looking forward to the tourney down there. hopefully the water will clean up some though, is the normal water color fairly clear??

Water is normally fairly clear. More clear down toward the dam. The river has a good green color. Only a few more days before we head down.

Post Thanks / Like

Well a buddy of mine was down on Friday and Saturday of this past week and the water is still muddy, but he still caught fish. Thanks for all the info man and we're heading down this coming Sunday the 27th to be there for the first meeting of the Ky state team. We practice all week and the actual tournament is on Good Friday the 2nd of April... Good luck and let me know how you do

mfrag Guest

Thanks for the discussion, guys. My group is heading down next week. I'll try to remember to post back some results. Leave a few for us...

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

West Point was tough this week. Caught several nice spotted bass. Some of my group was catching some good largemouth up the river in pockets. Biggest spot was around 3 pounds. Weather has the fish a little later than normal. Next week should be very good. Water temp was 56 in most area's and would get up to 62 when the sun would come out. Caught alot of big crappie 14-15 inches. Not as many in quantity but more quality this year. Overall a very good trip. Wish the weather would not have had the bass screwed up, but still caught more than I could around here.

Post Thanks / Like

How did everyone do last week at West Point? In my last post I gave some info on how we did but, I was wondering how the young man did in the Junior Division and congrats go out to the KY team for doing very well. Love West Point lake and even though the weather had the fish behind it is still one fun lake to fish. Looking foreward to seeing how everyone did and maybe discuss some more about the lake and maybe we can learn off each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I didnt post anything sooner but we got back at 4 on saturday morning after a long day on West Point. Ended up in 2nd place in the Junior event and Ky took 2nd place as a team with Brandon Card winning the top spot overall. I had 6-7 and the boy that won my age group had 13 lbs even including a 5lb largie... We caught fish in practice all week long. Monday and Tuesday we went towards the dam and got on a small spot pattern with an adult divisonal competitior from Ky so i let him fish those fish and he ended up 2nd for Ky's team as well... Then on Wed I caught 2 largies over 6 within 15 minutes of each other and we ended up having around a 18lb bag and never caught more than 1 keeper off of a bank... These were all shallow cranking fish from the river and of course this was only practice. Then Thurs our last practice4 day we left those fish alone and fished around Highlands and got on a 12 to 14 lb bag of spots and again never stayed on anything longer than to catch one keeper, these were crankbait and shakyhead fish. Then tournament day we ran to the places we caught all those fish and never could actually find where they had moved to so I ended up with only 3 fish. This seemed to be the case for everybody from Ky all week because when we went to the fish we could not find them again. But 2nd isnt bad for my first Southern Divisional and our team did well but there's always next year.....

mfrag Guest

Here is my crappie report for March 20-April 2.

The guys I fished struggled with muddy water the first couple days. They mainly fished in Yellow Jacket creek. Some nice crappie were caught; some on minnows and and some on jigs. However, the action was every slow and they only seemed to pick up a few fish at each spot they tried. The day I arrived we did more of the same and late in the day headed towards the back end of yellow jacket creek (real close to a ramp but don't know which one) and saw an armada of boats trolling for crappie. So, we jumped in line and started catching fish. Bubble gum twister tail grubs on 1/16 oz jig heads trolled around 1.2 mph seemed to do the trick. Some nice crappie were caught but there were some small ones thrown in as well. Later that night we heard from one of the guys in the BASS tournament out of Highland Marina that tons of crappie were caught trolling in Whitewater creek. Our trolling motor went bad the next day and we didn't get a chance to fish as we went shopping for a new trolling motor. The next day we headed to Whitewater (note we noticed the water clarity was better in the main lake) and trolled. We caught some but the action was much slower than in Yellow Jacket. So, we headed back again in the afternoon and did well in Yellow Jacket (again bubble gum color seemed to be the key). Nearly all the fish we caught were females. We talked to a group who were nearing their limit and they said they were pulling big males off the bank on jigs. To bad we didn't have another day to try. We caught well over 100 crappie in two good days of fishing.

Hope this report helps someone.

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

We plan on going down to Westpoint this weekend. Only doing bank fishing with the family. Please recommend good spots easily accessible from the road. I hear Yellowjacket creek is good. Any suggestions and directions are appreciated. AD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ATLDADDY View Post
    We plan on going down to Westpoint this weekend. Only doing bank fishing with the family. Please recommend good spots easily accessible from the road. I hear Yellowjacket creek is good. Any suggestions and directions are appreciated. AD
    YellowJacket Creek is good. I don't know how small your children are, but if you can fish around the rip rap at the bridges, ie YellowJacket, Half-Moon. you should catch some fish.