Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help on West Point Lake

Hey guys im from KY and I will be competing in the Bass Federation Nation Junior Southern Divisional on West Point Lake during the first week of April. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the lake would be willing to give up a little bit of information as to a general pattern to start off with and or some general areas to try. I will be heading down to practice in mid February and then we have an official practice period the last week of March right before the tourney. The tournament will be launching from Highlands Marina. Any help would be much appreciated because Im not trying to take anyones spots I just want to eliminate some water before we go so that I can follow the fish out of their winter pattern into their early spring/spawn pattern. You can send me a private message as well as reply to my original post.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help on West Point Lake

West Point is one of my favorite lakes. We go down every spring for bass & crappie. We will be down there March 21-26. We always stay at Highlands Marina. We always go down and fish for fun. I have never fished a tournament down there, so my mindset is not trying to find the big ones you need in a tournament. But, with normal weather conditions the fish should be shallow. Spots are very easy to catch and we do catch some nice 1 1/2 to 3 pounders. Find some rock piles coming out in the water and fish a 4" Zoom Watermelon/Red flake lizard or anything in green, the lizard is my choice. Have had success texas rig or split shot with 8lb test on spinning reel and no heavier than 12lb on baitcasters. Crankbaits around bridges on the rip-rap will produce some nice spots with an occassional largemouth. The better largemouth I have caught has been up the river. If there is some rain this spring alot of the pockets off the river has junk (washed from Atlanta, I guess) in them and you can get some nice largemouth out of that junk. I have not fished much below the 109 bridge toward the dam. Im sure alot of good area's down there. I have just fished up river the most. Yellowjacket Creek, Whitewater and Turkey creek is good and up the river. I don't know if this will help any and I don't know what your likes are, but you should be able at that time to put a good limit of spots in the boat then start culling with largemouth and I would think have a good finish. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate the help buddy, and this type of info is just what i need because i just want a general area to practice in when i go down in February. Could i possibly try to talk to you sometime after you've been down there in March? I think that this could be of help to me because i start official practice on March 29. You can get back with me on here or also send me a PM. Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

I will post info on how our trip when I get back. Normally we go down the week of the 29th, but this year we are going a week earlier. I don't mind to help a fellow KY, like I said in my earlier post we go down for fun and to catch a ton of fish. This lake is an easy pattern lake for me and we will see how we do this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I appreciate that.

mfrag Guest

Ky 520, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post and asking about crappie.

bigfish65, can you give me any help on crappie fishing West Point. A group of KY fellas are staying at Highland Marina the last week of March and the first week of April. Last year we went down a little earlier than this and the rain was incredible. We caught some crappie but not many; too much mud and the temp dropped big time. Actually caught more spots than anything else. Do you do well with crappie in Yellowjacket Creek, Whitewater and Turkey creek as well? I expect the fish to be shallow at this time of the year. Last year they they seemed scattered and real sluggish. I would appreciate any tips.

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish65 View Post
    I will post info on how our trip when I get back. Normally we go down the week of the 29th, but this year we are going a week earlier. I don't mind to help a fellow KY, like I said in my earlier post we go down for fun and to catch a ton of fish. This lake is an easy pattern lake for me and we will see how we do this year.
    are you from london? i have some friends, the deatons, that are going down to highlands on the 21st. i,m actually scheduled to go with them but i think im getting a new job that will interfere. if not ill b there

Post Thanks / Like

This is a pretty good West Point site. http://fishinweb.com/

Post Thanks / Like

thanks mikew i aappreciate the help, we're planning on heading down in a few weeks to fish before the cutoff starts so anything always helps to find out how to make the most of a pretty short trip

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Stroud creek , and start fishing anywhere past the first big island....beautiful place!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mfrag View Post
    Ky 520, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post and asking about crappie.

bigfish65, can you give me any help on crappie fishing West Point. A group of KY fellas are staying at Highland Marina the last week of March and the first week of April. Last year we went down a little earlier than this and the rain was incredible. We caught some crappie but not many; too much mud and the temp dropped big time. Actually caught more spots than anything else. Do you do well with crappie in Yellowjacket Creek, Whitewater and Turkey creek as well? I expect the fish to be shallow at this time of the year. Last year they they seemed scattered and real sluggish. I would appreciate any tips.

mfrag
    Sorry, I haven't gotten back sooner. Ive been working alot. I will post when I get back what the results where. Jackson creek in Yellowjacket is good and I think we are going to check out Beech Creek on this trip. It is up Yellowjacket. Always catch some up Whitewater and Turkey. Seems like in the past up the river is where we get better quality crappie. Last year the river was very muddy and and full of debris, so we did not go up the river. Hopefully, this year we can get back in the river.

Post Thanks / Like

well guys the water is very muddy and trashy right now, i just got back yesterday from West Point, the weather was unseasonbaly cool and the fishing was slow.. but i did see a few nice crappie at the boat dock, i have no idea how they were catching them or where they were catching them but even with the muddy water that is where i saw all of the crappie fisherman congregated.