Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gallatin Steam Plant

Is anyone fishing around the Gallatin Steam Plant? I used to hear that it was a good place to fish and have never been there, but was wondering if they stopped accrss after 911. Is anyone willing to offer information about a place to launch and fishing tips. This cold weather has me wanting to fish someplace that is not frozen up. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gallatin Steam Plant

I fish the Gallatin Steam Plant several times every winter. It is generally good for Largemouth Bass, White Bass, Skipjack and Striper. I plan on fishing it the weekend of 1/22. If you go before then, please post your results.

The closest ramp is about 1/4 mile up stream on Coles Ferry Pike. To get there take 109 out of Gallatin and once you cross the lake, go about 1 mile. Turn left on Academy Rd and go roughly another mile. Take a hard left onto Coles Ferry Pike and follow it to the ramp. As I recall, Coles Ferry dead ends at the ramp.

There is another ramp about 2 miles down stream at Flippers Bait and Tackle. This is a much nicer ramp and Flippers is a great shop. To get there, take 109 out of Gallatin and just before the lake turn left on Odems Bend Rd. go 1/4 mile at the most and Flippers will be on your right. As I said, this is a much better ramp, but it is a cold ride up the lake.

If you don't know this lake, keep a sharp eye out for the channel markers. This lake can go from 60ft to 3 ft in seconds. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, white curly tail grubs/jigs work great for the Skipjack and White Bass. We tie them on in a series of three about a foot apart from each other. Wal-Mart sells a curly tail jig that is a combination of pink and white, this one usually outfishes the straight white jigs. I haven't really tried any other color tails. I usually experiement with different color jig heads and find out what is best at that time. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for the information. Good luck with your trip. If I go I will post.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Old Hickory Steamplant Saturday 1/23/10. Lake was high and muddy and lot's of floating debris. The water in the discharge was cloudy, but not muddy like the rest of the lake. Temps were 48 in the lake and 54 in the discharge. Caught lots of big skipjack and one white bass, but no stripers. At one point late in the day, I did register on my lowrance what looked like a school of 5 or 6 stripers smashing bait, but I didn't catch any of them. The birds were active and the shad were plentiful. Hopefully I will get back there in a few weeks to try it again.