Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Glendale SFWA to be mined...

I just heard that somehow without public input , the northern part of what is known as Glendale State Fish and Wildlife will be coal mined. I heard that to replace the "stolen" property they are giving some ground back to DNR in Greene county...thats going to do Glendale alot of good isnt it ?? This is sickening , I knew along time ago when Peabody dba Black Beauty were coring and the public made it known they did not want that area mined , that it would happen anyway. And low a behold..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glendale SFWA to be mined...

That really *****. I've been going down there for 40 years One of the ladies at the check in told me that if they started mining down there if they weren't careful when they were mining it could drain the lake

Post Thanks / Like

What does this mean for the lake itself? How far away would the mining be from the lake or are we talking about taking over part of the lake? This really scares me, coal mining could possibly pollute the water in and around the lake, goofing up an extremely popular fishing destination.

How could the public not have any input? And furthermore, I'm surprised the state would be willing to do this, that's state owned property not Peabody Coal property.

Post Thanks / Like

Money!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm sure there is some possibility of negative impact on Dogwood. But let's face it...Dogwood isn't some pristine natural lake. It's artificial too, just like a strip pit. And let's not forget that coal mining has been far more of a boon than a bane to fishing (at least in Indiana).

For those of you complaining about all of that filthy money, go shut the power to your house off for a few hours, shiver a bit, and then tell me how greedy the coal industry is. Power plants can't burn good intentions and kumbayas.

Let's just hope they don't screw Dogwood up, and maybe in a few years, we'll have another nice pit to fish in.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont know about the mining - dont believe they can do that without public input . I found a link about the park leasing some ground http://www.washtimesherald.com/legal...349145836.html wish I was rich and could lease it !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
    Well, I'm sure there is some possibility of negative impact on Dogwood. But let's face it...Dogwood isn't some pristine natural lake. It's artificial too, just like a strip pit. And let's not forget that coal mining has been far more of a boon than a bane to fishing (at least in Indiana).

For those of you complaining about all of that filthy money, go shut the power to your house off for a few hours, shiver a bit, and then tell me how greedy the coal industry is. Power plants can't burn good intentions and kumbayas.

Let's just hope they don't screw Dogwood up, and maybe in a few years, we'll have another nice pit to fish in.
    There's other properties that could be utilized for coal mining and in doing so, it wouldn't screw up what is in many circles, regarded as the best panfish lake in Indiana.

And yes, the coal industry is one greedy outfit...I've got family in Eastern Kentucky, I would know. We don't need you defending the coal industry on this fishing forum. They can go and spend their big money somewhere else, hopefully on property that doesn't possess a wonderful treasure like Dogwood Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    There's other properties that could be utilized for coal mining and in doing so, it wouldn't screw up what is in many circles, regarded as the best panfish lake in Indiana.

And yes, the coal industry is one greedy outfit...I've got family in Eastern Kentucky, I would know. We don't need you defending the coal industry on this fishing forum. They can go and spend their big money somewhere else, hopefully on property that doesn't possess a wonderful treasure like Dogwood Lake.

Why can't he defend it if the thread is about the same topic??? Just because he doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean that he can't post his opinion. Everyone needs coal, but nobody wants it mined in their particular area! Do I wish they would mine it somewhere else...sure....but then somebody else's area would be mined and they would be upset. I fish and hunt (pheasant release) there and sure hope mining doesn't happen there at all, and if it does that it doesn't mess either one of those up....BTW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post
    Dont know about the mining - dont believe they can do that without public input . I found a link about the park leasing some ground http://www.washtimesherald.com/legal...349145836.html wish I was rich and could lease it !

Humm , interesting find. This must be the loophole needed to mine that property. Lease it out for two years ( plenty of time to mine it ) reclaim the property then the DNR gets it back. How many times have any of you ever heard of the DNR leasing out such popular ground ?

Post Thanks / Like

Redear, I know you're upset about the possible loss of fishing habitat. You should be. It sounds bad to me too.

I just think you need to accept the reality that the coal company digs where the coal is. It's not that they are just evil and enjoy killing duckies and bunnies. In a very real sense, it's just bad luck, that millions of years ago, that coal got laid down where some well-meaning humans would someday decide to create a lake. If it weren't the least expensive coal to get at, they would be somewhere else.

We all need electrical power to live the lifestyle we choose. Without it, I know I wouldn't have the leisure time to even think about going fishing on the weekends.

I thought Dogwood has been drained before because of Gizzard Shad or something. Is this correct? If so, it looks like it recovered pretty fast..you yourself said it is the "best panfish lake in Indiana." And it could be again. But let's just hope nothing bad happens to it, and enjoy it while it's here. I need someplace to swim.

Post Thanks / Like

Swimming not allowed i Glendale.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a little joke for CMorg. He watched my fat butt fall out of my boat into Dogwood last Summer. It would have been pretty hilarious if I hadn't lost my sunglasses. Oh, who am I kidding...it was still pretty funny.