Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Catch and release streams

Anybody been on any of the C & R streams since the season came in in October? I am thinking a possible trip to Red River Gorge this weekend to hit East Fork of Indian Creek or Swift Camp Creek.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kentucky Catch and release streams

Never had made over to those streams. Are there any size in those streams being that they are catch & release? I need to do some FF somewhere......it's been tooooo long!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Rich, they are stockers, usually 10-12 inchers. Every now and then you might come across one that has been feeding well and gets up around 15 inches. They are stocked in October and are C&R until April 1, with the exception of Swift Camp which goes until May 1. The Red River Gorge is a very pretty area and actually looks like trout country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Rich, they are stockers, usually 10-12 inchers. Every now and then you might come across one that has been feeding well and gets up around 15 inches. They are stocked in October and are C&R until April 1, with the exception of Swift Camp which goes until May 1. The Red River Gorge is a very pretty area and actually looks like trout country.
    I'm going to have to check those out one day. Always looking for new trout waters out here. Thanks.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Red River gorge is some pretty country! I have never fished there though.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught bows with my bare hands back in college out of Indian Creek. Long story, and yes, I have witnesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I fished East Indian was in November and I just kinda stopped by on my way home from Maryland. They where all hanging, browns and bows, in one little school near the concrete bridge near the junction with Indian proper. Spooked em' good obviously, I forgot my waders and appropriate flies so with cold feet and no trout landed I went home. Never fished Swift Camp but I hear nothing but good things. Any fly recommendations for this time of year? I'd probably go with a hairs ear or bead head hairs ear, maybe some kind of midge dropper? Oh yeah, I stopped by big bone today, there was enough unfrozen to high stick some salty looking water, no luck though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    Any fly recommendations for this time of year? I'd probably go with a hairs ear or bead head hairs ear, maybe some kind of midge dropper?
    Can't go wrong with midge immitations in the winter...also some scuds.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
    I caught bows with my bare hands back in college out of Indian Creek. Long story, and yes, I have witnesses.
    That reminds of being a kid and we used to head up the mountain creek, wading into the pools and feeling under the rocks for the slimy belly of a native bow.....we would then try and flip them out onto the bank, lol! Good times!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tied or fished any scuds, any pattern/recipe preferences for the C&R streams? Also what sort of technique do you fish them with? Thanks to you guys who love fly fishing and Peter for being awesome and giving us this wonderful new forum! Lots of Fly Fishing forums out there but all the good ones have so much info that doesn't apply here it is hard for me to sort through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    I've never tied or fished any scuds, any pattern/recipe preferences for the C&R streams? Also what sort of technique do you fish them with? Thanks to you guys who love fly fishing and Peter for being awesome and giving us this wonderful new forum! Lots of Fly Fishing forums out there but all the good ones have so much info that doesn't apply here it is hard for me to sort through.
    I would recommend nymphs like a gold ribbed hare's ear or something else very basic like a pheasant tail. The C & R streams aren't all that big and the nymphs in size 14 / 16 work well. Lots of water this weekend so larger sizes might work better. I like midges and scuds on bigger water where it is clear and these are the fishes staple foods, on small streams the stockers aren't to selective. Good luck.
    grampsg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grampsg View Post
    I would recommend nymphs like a gold ribbed hare's ear or something else very basic like a pheasant tail. The C & R streams aren't all that big and the nymphs in size 14 / 16 work well. Lots of water this weekend so larger sizes might work better. I like midges and scuds on bigger water where it is clear and these are the fishes staple foods, on small streams the stockers aren't to selective. Good luck.
    grampsg
    That is exactly right, stockers will eat anything......including corn! lol! So when I am fishing for stockers, I do exactly what gramps said....larger basic flies, i.e. BH Pheasant tails, BH Hares Ears, etc.

Now, when you are fishing the Provo River in UT in the middle of the winter with crystal clear water and size #26 midge hatches going on.....then you have to really match the hatch. Scud patterns are amazing during the winter months IMO.

-Rich