Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Fly tying favorites!

Just wanted to see what everyone's "go-to" fly is that they tie the most. I would have to say that I have fallen in love with the lightning bug fly. It is a sort of hybrid between a pheasant tail and a brassie. I'll have to post a pic of the fly in the pics forum so you all can see. The fly flat out KILLS the trout! Doesn't matter what type of trout either; browns, bows, cutts, tigers, brookies, etc. They all love it! I'll try and get the pic up of it soon.

So what is your fly to tie?

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly tying favorites!

Because I do a lot of fly fishing on stocker streams here, my go to fly that I tie the most is a simple Royal Wulff. They work well on these streams that do not have a huge amount of hatches and if you use the right size, you could probably still catch fish even during a species specific hatch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Because I do a lot of fly fishing on stocker streams here, my go to fly that I tie the most is a simple Royal Wulff. They work well on these streams that do not have a huge amount of hatches and if you use the right size, you could probably still catch fish even during a species specific hatch.
    Tim-
    That was a quick response, lol! Royal Wulffs are a classic stimulator dry pattern, one that I used to fish all the time growing up. Another scenario in which a Royal Wulff shines is during late summer on high mountain brookie streams. I have flat worn out some brookies with one up in the Uinta National Forrest in Northern UT. Good fly.

I also really like to use a RW when fishing a dry/dropper scenario, since the RW rides so high out of the water, it makes a great strike indicator for delicate nymphing situations in skinny water. Coat with some fly floatant, and the RW will never sink!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I tie a lot of midge patterns for the stockers. In # 18 - # 20. Also like the Prince nymph, Gold ribbed Hare's ear,Copper john, Wolly Bugger in white , purple , and black.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say. It all depends on the river. If I'm on the Dix, it's a soft-hackle, bead head, pheasant tail in a #12 followed by an #18 zebra midge or sow bug. On the Cumberland, more diverse. I love streamer fishing on the CR, so I typically have a rod rigged with a #6 Chicago Fly and a #4 White Fly. Those are killer for big browns in the timber. I'll then have a nymph rod setup with at minimum #10 black stone fly or probably my favorite is a #6 stone tied on a kahl hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    I tie a lot of midge patterns for the stockers. In # 18 - # 20. Also like the Prince nymph, Gold ribbed Hare's ear,Copper john, Wolly Bugger in white , purple , and black.
    "Everything you just said is my favorite too!" (Nacho Libre quote)

Excellent flies, staple for us trout FFers. I also started tying red bh pheasant tails with dyed pheasant tail, it really looks good. Gives a nice "red" tinge to the classic original. Can't keep planters off of them! Also caught a 23" bow on one last year at the CR, back when I was killing them over there.

Perhaps the best pattern for trout lake waters I have ever used is a bh bugger (black, maroon, brown, white, etc) and a large bh hares ear trailer! They love to hit that bh hares ear trailer! I must have gone through a couple dozen of them with my last trip out west, the fish just tore them to pieces! I've been tying and restocking all winter long for my next trip....I'll be going to Northern UT in February and doing some FFin on the Provo and Weber rivers. Can't wait!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    "Everything you just said is my favorite too!" (Nacho Libre quote)

Excellent flies, staple for us trout FFers. I also started tying red bh pheasant tails with dyed pheasant tail, it really looks good. Gives a nice "red" tinge to the classic original. Can't keep planters off of them! Also caught a 23" bow on one last year at the CR, back when I was killing them over there.

Perhaps the best pattern for trout lake waters I have ever used is a bh bugger (black, maroon, brown, white, etc) and a large bh hares ear trailer! They love to hit that bh hares ear trailer! I must have gone through a couple dozen of them with my last trip out west, the fish just tore them to pieces! I've been tying and restocking all winter long for my next trip....I'll be going to Northern UT in February and doing some FFin on the Provo and Weber rivers. Can't wait!

-Rich
    Sounds like a good trip Rich. And I hope that they will hit the same fly this year for you. But that might have changed due to weather , or current hatch, or moon phase , water level. Well you already know all of that. Just a reminder to take a big assortment in quantity. It would **** if you find out they are tearing up a different fly. That you only brought a couple of. That reminds me. Mental note to self ! TAKE MY TYING STUFF WITH ON TRIP !
    But do I really want to fish all day. And tie flies into the wee hours of the night. Then do it all over again the next day??? That sounds like a Job
    But if the fish are there? It would be worth it !

The TUG IS THE DRUG!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good trip Rich. And I hope that they will hit the same fly this year for you. But that might have changed due to weather , or current hatch, or moon phase , water level. Well you already know all of that. Just a reminder to take a big assortment in quantity. It would **** if you find out they are tearing up a different fly. That you only brought a couple of. That reminds me. Mental note to self ! TAKE MY TYING STUFF WITH ON TRIP !
    But do I really want to fish all day. And tie flies into the wee hours of the night. Then do it all over again the next day??? That sounds like a Job
    But if the fish are there? It would be worth it !

The TUG IS THE DRUG!!!!
    Rocky-
    You obviously haven't seen my fly boxes, lol! I have everything under the sun.....if it crawls, swims, flies, hatches, jumps, bites....I've got it's immitation. And never....I repeat....never go on ANY fly fishing trip without your vise and materials! That is mandatory! I can't even count how many times I've run out of a hot fly while on the water....I just head to the car....whip up a couple replacements......and I'm back ripping them lips! In fact, I'm whipping up some bh copper johns as we speak!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Rocky-
    You obviously haven't seen my fly boxes, lol! I have everything under the sun.....if it crawls, swims, flies, hatches, jumps, bites....I've got it's immitation. And never....I repeat....never go on ANY fly fishing trip without your vise and materials! That is mandatory! I can't even count how many times I've run out of a hot fly while on the water....I just head to the car....whip up a couple replacements......and I'm back ripping them lips! In fact, I'm whipping up some bh copper johns as we speak!

-Rich
    You The Man Rich ! Tie some Red ones ! The Red copper john Rocks !!!

Post Thanks / Like

You The Man Rich ! Tie some Red ones ! The Red copper john Rocks !!!
    Love Red Copper Johns, now that you mentioned them, I'll have to tie some more of them up tonight.

I love just sitting down at my desk with the vise in front of me, thinking up new variations on classic flies. Some work better than the originals, some do not.....but regardless, it's fun to create! And when you create a fly that flat out KILLS....that has to be one of the most rewarding feelings one can feel in FFin.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to see what everyone's "go-to" fly is that they tie the most. I would have to say that I have fallen in love with the lightning bug fly. It is a sort of hybrid between a pheasant tail and a brassie. I'll have to post a pic of the fly in the pics forum so you all can see. The fly flat out KILLS the trout! Doesn't matter what type of trout either; browns, bows, cutts, tigers, brookies, etc. They all love it! I'll try and get the pic up of it soon.

So what is your fly to tie?

-Rich
    Let's see that lightning bug Rich. Give us a list of tying materials / Directions
    along with the pic.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see that lightning bug Rich. Give us a list of tying materials / Directions
    along with the pic.
    Thanks for the reminder Rocky, I started looking for the camera and couldn't find it the other night. I'll try looking for it again. Will hopefully post it soon with the recipe. Peace.

-Rich