Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fly Rods & Reels

Thought it would be interesting for everyone to see what everyone else is throwing the fly with.

As for me, I currently throw an 8' 5wt Okuma Guide Series rod with the Okuma Helios reel as my main outfit. I use a custom built 9' 7wt built with IM6 blanks by my brother that I use for big fish/fly/water situations. It is equipped with an Okuma Helios reel as well.

How about you guys?

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly Rods & Reels

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Thought it would be interesting for everyone to see what everyone else is throwing the fly with.

As for me, I currently throw an 8' 5wt Okuma Guide Series rod with the Okuma Helios reel as my main outfit. I use a custom built 9' 7wt built with IM6 blanks by my brother that I use for big fish/fly/water situations. It is equipped with an Okuma Helios reel as well.

How about you guys?

-Rich
    Orvis Limited Edition Helios , 8' 6" 5Wt. Mid Flex with a Orvis Large Arbor Reel. That was a present from my Yung Uns ! And a Orvis Frequent Flyer , Tip flex 5 Wt, 8' 10" That is 2" shorter due to daughter breaking the tip off of.

Post Thanks / Like

I only own two rod and reel combos. They are both a little older and are not the top of the line models by their resepctive manufacturers. I have a 9 foot 6 weight G-Loomis GL3 and a 7 foot, 9 inch 5 weight Orvis Clearwater. Both are equppied with Orvis Battenkill reels with the disc drag system. All of this is good quality that fits a modest (mine) budget.

Post Thanks / Like

My girlfriend bought me a 6 wt Dogwood Canyon rod with a "classic" reel a few years back I like to use in creeks and farms ponds for bass and what not and I recently bought a 5 wt TFO Pro-series outfitted with a "large" arbor Hobbs creek reel. The Dogwood is a bit fast-acting sometimes and I have found it to be quite limiting in pursuit of larger game under most circumstances, big bait for big fish and all that. But I'll tell you what, this TFO rod casts smooth as silk and at 170 with a decent reel and a lifetime replacement guarantee I'm not sure you can find a better monetary value.

Post Thanks / Like

For trout, I use two L.L. Bean four-piece travel rods, a five weight and a seven weight; both are 5-10 years old. I throw an Orvis weight-forward floater with the five weight for nymphs and dries and a sink tip with the seven for streamers. For bass and light salt water I use a Sage largemouth rod that came with a matching Sage reel. I spend more money on travel and guides than equipment. Also, I'm not a good-enough caster to do justice to top of the line stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a TFO guy. I've been super impressed with the rods not to mention the guarantee. TFO will have a booth at the Kentuckiana Fly Show so you can try any of their rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
    I'm a TFO guy. I've been super impressed with the rods not to mention the guarantee. TFO will have a booth at the Kentuckiana Fly Show so you can try any of their rods.

I like the 25 year guarantee on the higher end Orvis rods ! I am not very happy with their warranty on the 7 piece travel rod. Found that out after the Daughter broke the tip off. But I glued it back and it seems to do good. And maybe even better. Because it made it a little stiffer. I Love to shoot the Line!!!