Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Deep cycle Battery

looking to buy two deep cycle batterys for a 181/2 foot boat. bought some cheap ones last year and now paying the price they will not hold a good charge for long. what is the best ones on the market. I know that the gel are very good but i dont want to spend $400 dollors on two batterys. I would love some input before i good buy some

thanks

paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deep cycle Battery

I bought the autozone brand 3 yrs ago. They're not the best but reasonably priced and will be replaced this spring. Not bad for $60 something each.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Walmart everstart maxx marine deep cycle batteries.(The yellow ones) not the black regular ones on my boat which is the same size as yours and I have no complaints.
    I have a 24 volt motorguide and I can charge it up and load up the boat and go for a couple days to the river and go all out without charging. It will last longer on a lake.

Post Thanks / Like

You will many different answers on this topic Paul. I personally like Interstate Deep Cycles. SRM 27 or 29's depending on the size of your battery box. You can go with Optima's, but they are PRICEY!!!! Ask an Interstate dealer about getting Blims if you want to go the cheaper route with these. The main thing with batteries is proper care and maintnence. Charge them as soon as you get off of the water and make sure you leave them on the charger until they are full. In the off months when it is cold.....hook them up and charge them about once a month...as they lose some charge over time. Also, try to keep them in a relatively warm storage area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psvec View Post
    looking to buy two deep cycle batterys for a 181/2 foot boat. bought some cheap ones last year and now paying the price they will not hold a good charge for long. what is the best ones on the market. I know that the gel are very good but i dont want to spend $400 dollors on two batterys. I would love some input before i good buy some

thanks

paul
    thanks for all the advice, i will need all the power i can get fishing the evansville river circuit

Post Thanks / Like

I just put two new Everstart Maxx 29s in my boat yesterday. They replaced the same ones that were put in in 2003. In 2003 they were $65 and these were $85. They come with 18 month replacement. As hard as I use them if I get over three years I have a bargain.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also go the route I have chosen.

I bought a Guest battery charger with an alternator module that charges my trolling motor batteries once the starting battery is topped off. I have installed it, but haven't used it yet (come on Spring...GET HERE ALREADY!!).

They are a bit pricey ($300-$350), but certainly less expensive than replacing batteries. I figure they should extend the life of my Interstate SRM 27's a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Deep cycle Battery

I bought 2 DEKA DC-27 back on 3/28/07 from KOI Auto Parts only because Wal Mart was out of their Everstart Yellow ones. Total cost for 2 was 152.62 tax, title, out the door included core chg. Normally I replace mine every 3 years too. This was the first time I'd ever purchased DEKA. Although I've since moved to FL, I still fish 2-3 times a week and put a heavy strain on the batteries. So far they don't seem to be falling off a charge. If I can disengage my trolling motor by just barely pulling on the rope and with my trolling motor on high it pops out of the water, I know I still have plenty of power. And last Sunday fishing a tournament I had 20-30 mph winds with gusts to 38. Yeah I used it and no matter where I went I still couldn't get out of the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Stowaway batteries from Tractor supply are good. I've had mine going on 4 yrs. Interstate are good also. You're need the 27's.