Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

hummingbird vs lowrance the real test

i found this post, and thought some of you guys might like to view it. it's a long address bar, but worth the time, if your thinking of buying a fishfinder. either hummingbird or lowrance. and you guys that already own one may like this. ps...I have owned both and both are good units.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerot...ing-by-fishton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hummingbird vs lowrance the real test

That is very interesting It looks like every search and rescue should have one of these units I believe you could find a drowned person with the lowrance unless those were really big trees.

Post Thanks / Like

Well after looking at those images I gotta go the the Hummingbird link Bassman posted this AM and download the down imaging software!

Post Thanks / Like

There's no question that Lowrance has HB beat by a mile. Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on buying a HB unit before I checked out the Lowrance.

Post Thanks / Like

why then have i heard lately that lowrance is junk?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlopFishin View Post
    There's no question that Lowrance has HB beat by a mile. Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on buying a HB unit before I checked out the Lowrance.
    I'm happy with my 797cSI hummingbird. Have seen a lot of images from both Lowrance and Hummingbird on the web. There are some spectacular images from the hummingbird side scan out there as well. I have located some pretty amazing structure on mine as well. The 350 foot scan range to either side is why I purchased the HB. I would like to see what the side image on the lowrance unit looks like and its range.

I'll bet 5 years from now all of these units will be outdated and we will have 3D helmets that resemble diver helmets that we can virtually swim with and shake the fishes finns.

Anyway it's sure a step up from my older unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Waterdog,
    You da man, I have been trying to decide which to get, but after reading that articale it is a much clearer choice for me. I have Raymarine C120 now, going to be hard to give up but the scan images are too cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    why then have i heard lately that lowrance is junk?
    They're great when they work, but my 522 is ready for its 4th trip back for repairs. Water intrusion problems initially,then unit wouldn't power on, next one the unit would constantly reboot. I haven't had it out since the last repair, but this unit won't read the same SD card I've used previously, so I can't upload any waypoints.

I bought an HDS5 during a long repair wait for the 522, and the second trip out the gps screen kept freezing up. The gps was pretty useless. The replacement has froze on occasion, but not constantly like my 1st one.

When they decide to work though, they are nice units.

Post Thanks / Like

With the HB being a grand for a basic unit, whats the cost for Lowrance version? I believe that HB has come out with a down image version also whats the cost on it? What make one better than the other? I have heard that the quality has slipped some over the last few years with Lowrance.

Stoner

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing images....the HB doesn't win in that comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Had my hd unit sence sept, and structure scan sence 1st of december an no problems what so ever havent used the humminbird but couldnt imagine it being better than the lowrance
    a good rubber ram mount is a must on all units to soften the beating from the high performance boats now days
    the down fall of the lowrance is so many options and buttons to push an keep up with
    been almost 5 months fine tuning and learning to use but wouldnt trade it for 2 humminbirds!
    Just my 2 cents worth
    homie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    i found this post, and thought some of you guys might like to view it. it's a long address bar, but worth the time, if your thinking of buying a fishfinder. either hummingbird or lowrance. and you guys that already own one may like this. ps...I have owned both and both are good units.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerot...ing-by-fishton
    Not quite apples to apples comparison. The newest Hummingbirds with downimaging are the 898c and the 998c. The 1197 used in this comparison probably has the free download software update for the down image scans. Would like to see the hummingbird 858 and 998 units for a true down image comparison. Still the free software update for the older hummingbird units looks pretty cool.