Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to understand: weighted bobber?

Stopped in Wallmart to pick up some "slip bobbers" for a little crappie fishing, which I purchased. BUT, ALSO saw several "weighted bobbers". Dum me, purchased a couple of packs,....but why/how do you use a "weighted bobber"?. Old Fart , but looking to learn!

Bobber Down,
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to understand: weighted bobber?

It gives you some more weight to throw it further.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Stopped in Wallmart to pick up some "slip bobbers" for a little crappie fishing, which I purchased. BUT, ALSO saw several "weighted bobbers". Dum me, purchased a couple of packs,....but why/how do you use a "weighted bobber"?. Old Fart , but looking to learn!

Bobber Down,
    Gary
    Gary-
    I only use weighted bobbers...either slip or fixed (depending on situation). The little weight on the bottom helps you cast A LOT farther than non-weighted bobbers. Another thing I like about the weight, it really helps the bobber stand up tall....no matter the size of the jig I'm fishing. I like to fish some really light feather crappie jigs that I tie myself, and they are not heavy enough to pull an un-weighted bobber up, so the bobber just lays on its side. With the weighted bobber, I can throw really light jigs, and the bobber will stand straight up giving me good visibility of any strike. Good luck!

-Rich
    Likes charley2 liked this post

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Boone,
    Along with all else said, it also helps the bobber go down easier, meaning the fish on the other end will feel slightly less resistance. For Bluegilling or Bassing, I use a weighted bobber, with a bout 4 foot of line going to the hook, a full sized nightcrawler, and not split shot betwen the bobber and the hook. The weighted bobber makes the rig cast far, stands the boober up proud, and with no weight between the bobber and the hook, the nightcrawler falls slower and more naturally.

Post Thanks / Like

I have most always used these.

1. They help you cast alot further if need be and help accuracy under overhangs.

2. If windy you can cast into the wind with them due to the weight.

3. Fish take them down a bit easier IMO.

4. If there is alot of chop your bobber will not drift in as much as a non-weighted one. Big plus for minnow fishing around laydowns and brush.

For bed fishing big gills use the cheap ones but for everything else the weighted ones are the best!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are some good bobbers and there are some great bobbers, but the only draw back I have found with most of them are bobber stops. You can buy the ready made ones, which work well, or you can tie your own. Cabelas sells that green line to make your own, a spool will last you a life time, the knot is fairly simple to tie. I think thill makes the best ones on the market. the weighted ones are really good, but sometimes you can over weigh them.Thill makes several where the line goes through a hole in the bottom of the float, that way you dont need the little beads. On some of them, getting the line through the stem is a pain.Fishing facts magazine had quite a good article about bobber fishing, dont know if youcan search the archives on the web. But the slim bobbers go down easier.My problem is getting them to go down past 12 ft, sometimes the knot will interferewith the line on spinning gear.That fishing tackle store there injamestown had some good selections a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

good advise I was wondering the same thing. I like to throw cabin creek popeye jigs, when not bass fishing and wanting the casting distance. If im reading this right it is a bobber with no stop and the line slides through it, if this is the case problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

I also like tom use popeyes for gills and crappies, You need a split shot to make the line slide through a lot of slip bobbers. Thinking of buying one of those US reels with the extra wide spool, that way the knot problem[bobber stop knot] wont be that much of a hassle. Even thinking of trying a slip bobber on casting rod, which is 7 ft.that 15+ ft depth is a pain. Counting down tube jigs is one answer, but sometimes just the right depth and holding it there is the best way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys don't buy another reel due to bobber stops, try these from Cabelas. They will not interfere with your reel and there's no having to tie knots. Check em....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23
    Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope this helps!

Traditional bobber rigs are among the most commonly used fishing rigs. For most anglers, the bobber rig is their go-to when they start rigging a rod. In fact, even if you’ve never fished before, when you think about fishing, images of a red and white plastic bobber sitting on top of the surface of the water are probably what comes to mind.

But traditional bobbers aren’t the only option available; there’s another type of bobber available, and it’s referred to as a weighted bobber. You might have noticed these bobbers when you are at the bait shop or fishing supply store, but forewent choosing them for your traditional bobber.
    That’s probably because you don’t really know what a weighted bobber is and what the purpose of this type of rig is.

If you’re wondering what a weighted bobber rig is and why anglers use it, keep on reading.
    Below, we offer an overview of this type of rig so that you can add it to your tackle box.
    WHAT IS A WEIGHTED BOBBER?

Weighted bobbers are pretty much what they sound like: a heavier bobber. Generally, these bobbers feature a small ring close to the bottom of the structure, which adds weight to it. The extra weight allows the bobber to stand more erect on the surface of the water.
    When the bobber stands straighter, it’s more visible. Visibility is particularly important when using a light bait that might not have enough weight
    to allow the bobber to stand properly.

There’s another purpose for the extra weight: it allows you to cast your line further, and more accurately. It makes sense, if you think about it. Traditional bobbers are pretty lightweight and are hard to cast out very far.
    Plus, even the slightest wind can significantly affect the accuracy of your cast. If the bobber is heavier, you’re going to have more control over it, and you’re going to be able to cast it farther.
    WHEN TO USE A WEIGHTED BOBBER

So, what type of situations would call for a weighted bobber? Any! You can use weighted bobbers to catch pretty much any species of fish. You can also use them to fish in just about any type of water. You can use them in streams, rivers, lakes, ponds; you name it.
    However, most anglers agree that the best use for a weighted bobber is wade fishing. It really helps to simplify the process and improves your ability to catch your targeted fish.
    SHOULD YOU USE A WEIGHTED BOBBER?

If you usually use traditional bobbers, you might be wondering if you should give a weighted bobber a try. It really depends on your personal preferences, what type of setting you are going to be fishing in, and what species of fish you are targeting.
    We strongly recommend giving a bobber with weight added to it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised to see how easy it is to use, and how much it can improve your fishing experience!
    Last edited by peter; 02-25-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You also have to understand that when using a weighted float and a light weight jig ... you might not be able to detect a "lift bite", as when the fish comes up and grabs the jig but doesn't immediately go down with it. You wouldn't likely be able to tell the difference in the height above water of the float.
    This is exactly the reason why FnF floats are off center weighted ... so that when the fish takes the weight of the jig off the float (lift bite) it will fall over. Were it weighted at the bottom, you'd never see the float move.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Pappy

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    You also have to understand that when using a weighted float and a light weight jig ... you might not be able to detect a "lift bite", as when the fish comes up and grabs the jig but doesn't immediately go down with it. You wouldn't likely be able to tell the difference in the height above water of the float.
    This is exactly the reason why FnF floats are off center weighted ... so that when the fish takes the weight of the jig off the float (lift bite) it will fall over. Were it weighted at the bottom, you'd never see the float move.
    I'm glad you mentioned this. Thanks